View Poll Results: What type of keyboard would you like to have whenever the Storm 2 is released?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Touch without click like the Iphone

54 21.51%
  • Landscape Slider like Tmobile G1

25 9.96%
  • Portrait Slider like Palm Pre

8 3.19%
  • Love my Surepress; Lets keep it clickin!

164 65.34%
    wi-fi isn't necessarily to replace your 3G network connection, more so to compliment it. and bussiness users need it to get access to extranet sites/files from the device...

and basements. you know who
    05-13-09 03:31 PM
    You should have had a poll option for a slider keyboard plus virtual keyboard with the option to use both. However, as I've said before, I would like (and think will happen eventually) to see a new device from RIM that offers that while the Storm maintains the virtual keyboards only and SurePress. What I am more interested in is a slightly larger widescreen format display. I think they'd have to make some changes to the SurePress though or there would be more clicking problems with the display going that far away from the center button. It could be done, just not as simply.
    05-13-09 03:40 PM
    You should have had a poll option for a slider keyboard plus virtual keyboard with the option to use both. However, as I've said before, I would like (and think will happen eventually) to see a new device from RIM that offers that while the Storm maintains the virtual keyboards only and SurePress. What I am more interested in is a slightly larger widescreen format display. I think they'd have to make some changes to the SurePress though or there would be more clicking problems with the display going that far away from the center button. It could be done, just not as simply.
    the PK fix of multiple little clickers underneath could allw it. i want a perfectly square screen, and works in any orientation, no physical keys at all, just the clicky screen...the storm saucer patent pending/restricted
    05-13-09 03:44 PM
    I hope they make a better version of surepress and make the screen stay in place instead of moving around.
    05-13-09 03:57 PM
    IMO physical keyboards are much faster to type with. I gotta vote G1 style. But everyone is different.
    05-13-09 03:58 PM
    I say keep it the way it is. IF any thing were to change an option between surepress and touch would be nice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 04:12 PM
    I do like the Surepress, but I don't like how a gap between the screen and casing is required for the Storm. I like being able to use a phone without worrying about dust or even if it's raining or wet outside and it is can be done with no problems on other handhelds.
    05-13-09 04:28 PM
    I'd prefer touch without click. Definitely no slideout keyboard.
    05-13-09 06:49 PM
    Personally I vote for three of the four, and two can be done on the Storm 1. Nothing I can see would prevent a configurable iPhone-style/SurePress on the existing hardware with an OS upgrade (although I prefer SurePress and would never use the iPhone style it's understandable that others may feel differently). I'd also like a G1-style physical keyboard for some uses (but a portrait keyboard would also work) - longer messages were more comfortable for me with my 8700's real keys but the Storm's benefits outweigh this. Since I've got an extended battery already they can probably do it without making things any thicker than my phone already is. And creative battery design could still net me 2600mAh.
    05-13-09 07:16 PM
    I want to stick with SurePress. But i sure hope they fix the dust/hair/lints/etc screen problems. ^_^!
    05-13-09 07:30 PM
    IMO physical keyboards are much faster to type with. I gotta vote G1 style. But everyone is different.
    Same here. Ive had my storm about 3 months now and I like it but being a former sidekick user from sidekick 1 to the LX, then to the G1...nothing is faster for me than a physical keyboard.

I make too many type errors and it takes me longer to write messages. I used to fly on my other phones and its got to the point where I dont even text or email as much off my phone. I dont hate it though, all in all its a good phone.
    05-13-09 07:56 PM
    i kinda like messaging on it sometimes, but when my hands get clammy, like playing guitar for a few hours, etc...it doesn't recognize my touch as well, and i think my sweat is acidic and eating through the glass i guess ninjas are part alien now too
    05-13-09 07:59 PM
    I'd like to have the option of either SurePress or just touch touch the screen Iphone style. Ironically, while some people don't like Opera, I've grown to prefer it as a browser because it is faster than the BB one, and more importantly because I don't have to click the stupid screen!
    05-13-09 08:01 PM
    a slider defeats the purpose and will make the storm too cumbersome IMHO. and WTF would I want it more like an iPhone or android POS... I love the storm just how it is, and only hope to possibly see WiFi added so when streaming or up/downloading I have the option to switch to the higher bandwidth network... Aside from that I loves my storm
    05-13-09 08:27 PM
    I want it to be the same principal, but highly streamlined and redesigned for WAY BETTER fit and finish. RIM, buy a new MacBook and take a look at how tight the tollerences are on the clicking touchpad. Please don't GAP us all again... you're out of excuses now.
    05-13-09 08:31 PM
    I'd like to see the surepress mechanism and design improved, maybe instead of just 1 button underneath a few buttons ALL that trigger the press. So still one press, but making it easier to press and get a click on the extremities. And I'm sure the engineers can come up with other tweaks to improve the click on Storm 2.

This. I thought I was the only one thinkin' of this conclusion. Try locking your Storm, hold the screen down w/ one finger and try typing w/ the other, of course it won't work being the screen's one big button. But if the screen had multiple springs underneath (meaning multi-buttons instead of one), it'd speed up typing considerably!

I'm sure RIM could make this happen and still keep the same design, if not make it look better than it's current state. Shoot, would run circles 'round a slide keyboard anyday! >=D
    05-13-09 09:32 PM
    I want a "no press/no touch" keyboard. The phone should just type what I'm thinking. There's the way of the future for you

Seriously though, for quick messages and the like, I don't mind the SurePress screen. I think I would like it better than a touch only like the iPhone, the little I've played with the iPhone I wasn't overly impressed. I don't like Opera's touch only interface, drives me crazy. It keeps opening links that I never clicked, I was only trying to scroll further down the page.

On the other hand, if I need to type longer messages, I would prefer a physical keyboard. It is faster and more accurate for me. So I wouldn't object to a slider, if it was well done and didn't screw up the design of the phone.
    05-13-09 09:49 PM
    YOU AGAIN??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

This guy is seriously the STORM FORUM CANCER. Please change your name to that...it would suit you even better. Stay away from Storm forums if you think it sucks so bad. This is the 4th time i've called you out on this and you just keep poppin up.

Lets keep this thread on topic. In other words: scram sam!
    Holy he11, no kidding!!

05-13-09 11:30 PM
    Scale of 1-10 with 10 being perfect:

Touch without the click (iPhone): 10
    Portrait Slider (Palm Pre): 9
    Surepress (Storm): 3
    Landscape Slider (G1): 1

I would love either a full touch (no click) like the iPhone, or a portrait slider like the Pre.

The portrait slider allows me to use it in one hand, which I've found has been very convenient with my Curve. The only drawback about a slider is the fact it is thicker, heavier and doesn't feel as solid.

I definitely prefer either of those two options over the clicky sure-press or a landscape slider. Landscape slider ... I can't even use it one handed AND it has all the drawbacks of a slider.

The current sure-press is kinda neat for web navigation, but it causes my hand to cramp or get very muscular typing a lot on it. Also, it makes noise (I prefer a silent typing phone if possible), has another moving part to break, gets lint under screen, and the two-step process just doesn't let me type as fast as the other methods.
    05-14-09 12:06 AM
    Scale of 1-10 with 10 being perfect:

Touch without the click (iPhone): 10
    Portrait Slider (Palm Pre): 9
    Surepress (Storm): 3
    Landscape Slider (G1): 1

I would love either a full touch (no click) like the iPhone, or a portrait slider like the Pre.
    redundancy fail...
    05-14-09 12:50 AM
    SurePress all the way... I love being able to hover before I click to get what I want, love the tactile feedback. I've never tried an iPhone, but it sounds like it would be more difficult to use. How do you scroll on an iPhone without selecting something? Is there any kind of pressure sensitivity?
    05-14-09 01:53 AM
    Slide out keyboard would stink. I bought this phone for the touch screen keys. I like that a lot. I have tried curves with physical keys and found I didn't like it at all.

05-14-09 01:59 AM
    For me it depends on what the long term goal is.

If they eventually want to bring users over who are used to tactiel typing with real buttons then eventually they wil have to offer a Phoen with the screen realestate of the strom and a sliding keyboard (hopefully Portrait)

For me i am fine with Surepress
    05-14-09 11:49 AM
    The hover and dwell aspects of the Storm's screen/keyboard is what makes it much better. I love being able to hold down a letter to CAP it or hover over a letter to pull up additional characters without having to pull up another keyboard screen set. That's a big plus for me... try to do that with an iPhone and see what you get.
    05-14-09 12:09 PM
    I'm a big fan of surepress. With tweaks to the keyboard config I find typing speed to be Greatly Improved.
    That said anything that can be done to improve surepress eg multiple click points, sounds good to me.

05-14-09 12:39 PM
81 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD