So I downloaded the OS and after installing it on my desktop, I went and deleted the vendor.xml file, open up desktop manager and went to app loader. When I click on start for update software, it does a scan and asks me whether I want to go to .320 or .451 (currently have .428). I choose .451 and it does some thinking and comes back with no software upgrade available. Anyone know what the issue could be? This is the first time I've ran across this when trying to load a new OS.

Thanks!
    02-16-10 05:11 PM
    loading now...
    My favorite kind of useless posts.
    02-16-10 05:12 PM
    So I downloaded the OS and after installing it on my desktop, I went and deleted the vendor.xml file, open up desktop manager and went to app loader. When I click on start for update software, it does a scan and asks me whether I want to go to .320 or .451 (currently have .428). I choose .451 and it does some thinking and comes back with no software upgrade available. Anyone know what the issue could be? This is the first time I've ran across this when trying to load a new OS.

Thanks!
    go into programs on your PC and delete the other OS, leaving only 451 installed....then reboot...and then try this again....

make sure you take the time to click on the links in the first post of this thread to read the how-tos....
    02-16-10 05:14 PM
    My favorite kind of useless posts.
    Ditto,...your too.
    02-16-10 05:19 PM

Thanks!
    Just use the apploader instead of the DM.. always works for me..
    02-16-10 05:24 PM
    Well after using this build last night and all day today here are my findings:

Overall speed and responsiveness seems similar or marginally improved over 428.
    I've found scrolling through my inbox as well as through messages to be smoother.
    Memory has increased by about 5MB (@116 currently with my apps and junk).

I did have an issue with lag while typing in both landscape and portrait mode. Thinking this was due to the "peek" feature I disabled it and this seems to have fixed it.

I can't comment on browser speed as I mainly use opera.

I initially had some wonky behavior with locking but a couple of reboots and some adjustment of patternlock has taken care of that.

Battery life appears marginally worse, although this may be due to me using the phone more than usual today or using the beta twitter app which runs in the background and is set to update every 5min (I'll retest tomorrow with twitter set to update hourly).

Edit: as is already mentioned in the OP, scrolling through pics with the media viewer is very much improved.

--
    Overall, despite some initial problems with weird locking and typing lag, this build seems to be worth the upgrade.

Now let's hope for a .49x build haha (hopefully with some improved battery life and a webkit browser leak).
    What do you mean the "peek" feature?

Also gMail plug in what exactly does it do??

I was thinking about switcting up to the 451 but seems more issues than good and seems 428 is almost the same.

All I want really is better battery life.
    02-16-10 05:24 PM
    go into programs on your PC and delete the other OS, leaving only 451 installed....then reboot...and then try this again....

make sure you take the time to click on the links in the first post of this thread to read the how-tos....
    The only other OS I have loaded on my PC is for my old 9530. Would this make a difference?
    02-16-10 05:30 PM
    The only other OS I have loaded on my PC is for my old 9530. Would this make a difference?
    Just to be safe better delete it as well.
    02-16-10 05:37 PM
    Thanks. I read the link of the first page and am currently doing it through the loader rather than desktop manager. I'm good to go...
    02-16-10 05:38 PM
    whats the peek feature cause i've been experiencing lag as well.. in fact i find that the phone runs pretty good but i've noticed sometimes that it just seems to slow down to almost a crawl speed and it takes forever to get stuff done, especially if you have any BBM groups.. going from group to regular bbm messages seems to take a massive toll on the responsiveness of the phone..

It's where when you press down on a key a box pops up showing the letter you're currently on. (Options >> Screen/Keyboard >> Show Key Indicator: Never)

This fixed the keyboard lag for me.
    02-16-10 06:28 PM
    Worth spending the time to upgrade for what? Ability to scroll through pictures faster? Hard to rationalize spending 30-45 to reload and set up your device just for that.
    Well it:

increased memory
    slight improvement in responsiveness
    definite improvement in scrolling through inbox and emails (which I do a lot of)
    and some people report browser speed is a little better

The only downsides I experienced resolved after the first day so yea, I'd recommend the upgrade. It isn't exactly the hardest thing to install these anyway.
    02-16-10 06:31 PM
    What do you mean the "peek" feature?

Also gMail plug in what exactly does it do??

I was thinking about switcting up to the 451 but seems more issues than good and seems 428 is almost the same.

All I want really is better battery life.
    If all you care about is better battery life then it isn't worth it.
    02-16-10 06:34 PM
    Been using it all day.

-Signal has improved. At my work, it's pretty much an area where cell phones are meant to not be used and I usually drop 90% of all calls. I was able to keep 4 out of 6 phone calls and that has never happened with .320 or .428.
    -Had some issues with data but after the 4th or 5th battery pull, it worked. As for the speed, I would say the same. But I mainly use Opera.
    -Battery life is about the same as .428. I'm down to 40% with heavy use (40 mins of phone calls, roughly 100 sms, another 60 BBM, about an hour of wen browsing)
    -Memory is increase roughly 8mb
    -Picture loader is very quick.

-SMS bug still there
    02-16-10 06:34 PM
    For me, the battery life is SIGNIFICANTLY improved. With meterberry as the guage, I used to drain an average of about 6%/hr. So far today, nine hours after pulling it off of the charger, I still have 84% battery and usage of 1.6%/hr. That is with a few phone calls, BeJive, AP News, Wifi, Gmail, Google Maps, and WeatherBug Elite all running.

If this keeps up, I will be a happy guy!
    02-16-10 06:43 PM
    From .428 to .451 (no hybrids)

Slight browser speed improvement on EDGE. (Opera Mini stays far superior)
    Smoother key-pressing experience.
    All 22 apps (see signature) are running without any problem till now.
    Can't tell nothing about battery life yet (was busy testing all apps)
    Resetting takes 3 times longer than with .428

As for now (and for me), this upgrade is nothing spectacular in comparison with .428 Later on the job when calls, emails, BBMs and such are coming in, I will be able to judge memory usage and battery life.
    After a full day of use: about 40 emails (10 answered), 12 calls made, 27 calls received, some twitter, some Viigo, some internet (Opera mini) and various Weather berry checks, I found nearly no battery improvement and not more leakage than with .428 (I had no battery trouble anymore after some CB recommended tweaks. Right now 72% after 14 hours)

I did experienced one dropped call.
    Last edited by Daruba; 02-16-10 at 07:17 PM.
    02-16-10 06:53 PM
    +Gained about 10MB of memory
    +Phone is smoother overall... with .428 I had random incidences where the phone would start to bog down for a few seconds or would freeze for a few seconds
    +Screen clicking isn't as mushy and soft and I think it is now PERFECT. It was too hard with .320 and it was too soft with .428
    +Typing produces less errors for some reason. I probably get like 30% less errors and it probably has to do with the screen calibration

-None so far

Battery life seems about the same. I never really had any issues with the battery anyway. Haven't tried the browser since I only use Opera 5. Overall a GREAT leak; very happy.
    02-16-10 07:35 PM
    I downloaded the new OS, and have noticed the following bug.

when Peek a who sms/email popup shows a new SMS, the keyboard also pops up. I have checked my settings to make sure i haven't changed anything.

anyone else having this problem?
    02-16-10 07:49 PM
    After a full day of use: about 40 emails (10 answered), 12 calls made, 27 calls received, some twitter, some Viigo, some internet (Opera mini) and various Weather berry checks, I found nearly no battery improvement and not more leakage than with .428 (I had no battery trouble anymore after some CB recommended tweaks. Right now 72% after 14 hours)

I did experienced one dropped call.
    72% after 14 hours? Wth!

I make 2 calls that last 5 min. Moderate texting and heavy internet usage and I'm lucky to make it through 10 hours before I have to charge. How is it such a huge gap? How can I get mine to last that long?

And now with the new leaked OS it seems like my battery is draining faster! I think I'll be lucky if it last 8 hours!
    02-16-10 08:47 PM
    72% after 14 hours? Wth!

...How can I get mine to last that long?
    Well here is the posts I made about it: http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/fy...y-life-417234/
    02-16-10 09:23 PM
    Ok so after a whole day of playing around with the new update, I decided to go back to 428. 451 is NOT worth it.

Keyboard isn't as good as before. I get more stiffness every so often.

I get more typing lag than I did before updating.

Menu button sticks and double clicks when in Landscape and opens up and selects unwanted options. Very annoying.

Scrolling isn't always smooth.

Those are my main complaints. I can't comment on battery life or speed because I see no difference.

I think I'll just update again when there is something worth upgrading for. A little bit of speed (as mentioned by some) is not worth it for me. Everything was fine before.
    Good luck to anyone who upgrades. Hopefully you have a better experience.
    02-16-10 09:50 PM
    loaded easy enough, entered like 20 codes and rearranged 100+ icons lol

booted with some extra memory (2 MBs maybe)
    picture browser does seem faster

none so far
    02-16-10 10:37 PM
    I downloaded the new OS, and have noticed the following bug.

when Peek a who sms/email popup shows a new SMS, the keyboard also pops up. I have checked my settings to make sure i haven't changed anything.

anyone else having this problem?
    Sounds like its running in compatibility mode.
    02-16-10 11:08 PM
    Booted with an extra 6-7 MB
    Picture browser seems faster, but it's hard to tell
    Battery seems better on heavy Opera / BBM use, but it could be placebo effect.

Get random sudden stiffness for a few seconds, never happened on any build before. (For me, anyways)
    02-16-10 11:09 PM
    Threw this on my storm the second i got back into town. Gunna try to resist hybrids for at least a few days so i can hopefully let this settle in.

+Avg 6.2%hr discharge after running for 8 hours with heavy texting, hour of phone, and moderate crackberrying.

+Pretty snappy OS experienced no lag so far

+No lock button issues but i run with Patternlock

+Screen clickyness is perfect for my standards

+No problem with double clicking so far

-The blackberry menu pop-up while opening the keyboard in an SMS text is almost more annoying now, the fact that now I never know when its going to happen so I instinctively just it cancel out of it but end up exiting out of the text when it doesn't pop up.

As for signal i see no real difference, still picking up my usual lovely two bars at my crib. =[
    02-16-10 11:11 PM
    Booted with an extra 6-7 MB
    Picture browser seems faster, but it's hard to tell
    Battery seems better on heavy Opera / BBM use, but it could be placebo effect.

Get random sudden stiffness for a few seconds, never happened on any build before. (For me, anyways)
    .451 build is more responsive and stable. I have noticed keypad surepress is more accurate and radio seems to be faster.
    02-16-10 11:43 PM
484 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD