Does your available storage space(s) effect performance? I have about 100MB remaining in Application Memory, 1.6GB in Device Memory, and ~10GB on the media card. I have lots of things installed that I don't use ("ooooh..gotta try that out").

Also, in the Memory screen, the top item is "Compression". What is that referring to? I would assume that if something is compressed, it consumes less storage space, but conversely requires decompression in order to "run" which would effect performance, right?

Thanks all! Crack-on!
    04-29-10 09:54 AM
    just like a computer, the amount of memory used is relative to preformance. Less memory, slower performance. Not sure about the compression thing. I don't see how applications can be compressed and still function corectly. Videos, pictures, music, maybe, but not actual apps. Could be wrong. Gonna have to go reasearch that now. You've roused my curiosity.
    04-29-10 10:19 AM
    well, thats only partly true. Memory (as in available RAM in a PC) effects performance. Storage memory (as in hard disk/storage media) CAN (doesn't always) effect performance.

On a PC, available storage space only effects the performance when the "swap file" (a temporary file used as active memory) has to be shrunk to fit. If your swap file can be as large as necessary, it makes no difference how much additional storage space you have.

Does a Berry use a swap file type system to handle things in running applications? Does the "application memory" that is indicated refer to the "storage" space remaining or the available "RAM" used to run apps (or both)?
    04-29-10 10:26 AM
    You're right. I misread your original post, thinking you were referring to App memory. I know the "Application memory" refers to the "RAM." Storage space should be around 1 gig or a little less. This is where the pic, etc are/can be stored. I nkow certain apps (like gps mapping, etc) use this space by default to store your tracks and things. So I guess in a way, it could affect the performance of the device if it this memory was full, causing the app to "search" through everything to find the necessary data.

Not sure about the swap.
    04-29-10 10:46 AM
    thanks. So what is a good target for application memory then for performance (and I know the answer is "depends on what you are running").
    04-29-10 10:48 AM
    For app memory, I don't think you have a choice. Some stuff will let you store things on the media card, but those apps are things that require supporting info (again the gps maps/tracks).
    04-29-10 11:05 AM
    sorry..target was a bad choice of terms. I didn't mean where to install things. I meant what amount of free memory should I "target" for good performance returns?
    04-29-10 11:08 AM
    What amount of free app memory should you target? I wouldn't worry about it. I have 60-70 apps installed with like 89mb of app memory left and it runs just as good as when I have nothing installed on the phone.

If it were to get down really low, say 10-15mb, then you might notice a substantial performance drop. This phone is so much better than the S1 at managing and handling memory and my S1 would run just fine with that amount of memory.
    04-29-10 11:10 AM
    THAT's what I needed to hear. Thanks guys.

...compression question still stands. how does that effect performance, if at all and what is being compressed?
    04-29-10 11:12 AM
    It compresses the size of data (picture/video) stored on the card/phone memory to make it easier on the phone without losing quality.
    04-29-10 11:14 AM
    so ONLY pictures and video and it applies to both internal stoage and card storage? If you have compression on and then select to play a video, doesn't it first have to decompress the file (hitting performance and possible storage issues)?
    04-29-10 11:16 AM
    Nope, mine is always enabled. No performance issues here.

I believe it is all of the data stored on the memory, not just pictures and video. I was just using that as an example.
    04-29-10 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD