My storm was unfortunately stolen, but I have the security password enabled, is it possible for the ******* who took my phone to bypass that password? What happens when they enter a wrong password 10 times? I don't want that *** having the satisfaction of using the phone.
    01-20-09 09:30 PM
    Call your carrier and report it stolen. Then they can't use it no matter what. And if the password is entered 10 times wrong the phone will wipe itself
    01-20-09 09:34 PM
    Do you have to have 'content protection' enabled in order for it to wipe? I have a password, but dont have this set, and it still counts incorrect passwords, and I assume that it would wipe.
    01-20-09 09:36 PM
    Do you by chance have BLIP installed on it? If so maybe you can just track this ******* down and show him what happens when you mess with someone's storm. Or take the civil way out and get those cops after him!
    01-20-09 09:40 PM
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people feel justified in taking something from someone else. Sorry to hear about your Storm! Maybe the cops will catch him and beat him down.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 09:45 PM
    My brother actually stole an Iphone from a guy at a bar. Once he realized how much it sucked, he found the guy and nicely returned it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 09:51 PM
    wow lmfao.... thats hilarious but dumb...
    01-20-09 09:59 PM
    No way to bypass the password
    Incorrect tries (10 usually) will wipe all personal information of the device.
    Once wiped it is useable by anyone as long as the ESN isnt blocked. If you call VZW and they block the ESN then it can still be unlocked to be used on GSM.
    01-20-09 10:01 PM
    anyone know of an app we can install that will track these things down? i am on BES, it should report its location to BES as an option, that would rock.
    01-20-09 10:03 PM
    you can force GPS location tracking, it reports to the BES database.
    01-20-09 10:04 PM
    I just suspended the line, I doubt I'll ever see that phone again. Couple of quick questions: I'm not to sure if i had "content protection" on, so after he 10 wrong password tries, what will happen if the phone doesn't wipe itself? And if it does wipe itself, will that son of a bee-yotch be able to still access the other features of the phone (mp3/camera etc.)? Also, can the suspended phone be able to be unlocked somehow to work for another wireless company?(I really hope not) There should be some type of support group for people like me. I feel so numb.
    01-20-09 10:07 PM
    No way to bypass the password
    Incorrect tries (10 usually) will wipe all personal information of the device.
    Once wiped it is useable by anyone as long as the ESN isnt blocked. If you call VZW and they block the ESN then it can still be unlocked to be used on GSM.
    Here you are
    01-20-09 10:07 PM
    So by suspending the phone line, has the ESN been blocked? I have no idea about that kind of stuff
    01-20-09 10:17 PM
    yes, currently it cant be activated on VZW, but any GSM carrier is still fair game.
    01-20-09 10:18 PM
    "....F*ck my life"
    01-20-09 10:19 PM
    Hopefully you have the insurance, if you don't you MIGHT be able to get VZW to let you buy at contract prices, but you would of course have to start your 2 year contract over again.

EDIT: You might also be able to get a used BB on ebay for a reasonable price. If you can live with an 8703, you can probably get one fairly cheaply (I just checked there are tons from 30-60 bucks)
    Last edited by pkcable; 01-20-09 at 10:30 PM.
    01-20-09 10:25 PM
    ugh my storm just got stolen today too. i think i have the insurance on it. but im not sure. if it doesent i will just get a curve. i dont have the money for another storm lol
    01-23-09 10:41 PM
    If you have reported the device stolen it will no longer work on Verizon or RIM's network. If they unlock the device and take it to a gsm carrier only the phone/sms will work.
    01-23-09 10:56 PM
    Just call VZW, report it stolen and they will cancel the ESN on your phone, which pretty much renders it useless to everything on the VZW network. Unfortunately, they would be able to use it if it was unlocked on a GSM network.

Good luck!
    01-24-09 06:35 AM
    Haven't had mine stolen (yet, give it time...), but I wish there was a way to do something like this.

consumerist.com/5153293/updated-my-iphone-is-missing-and-some-guy-is-taking-pics-of-himself-with-it
    02-16-09 10:22 PM
    Have the PIN blocked as well. They won't be able to have it activated on a GSM carried either. The SIM will work but they won't be able to get data.
    02-17-09 05:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD