My gf had her cell phone stolen. She immediately reported it and had the service disconnected.

Can the person who stole it have it reconnected or will some sort of digital trace/signature show up and the CSR know?

As a side note, given the demographics of the area we were at, I doubt the person who jacked it could afford the data plan AND still have money for a hit of crack cocaine....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-09 09:17 AM
    The phone will be blacklisted and not be able to be activated.
    04-04-09 09:38 AM
    It will be blacklisted on the specific carrier, but not on others. If it is a BlackBerry, the PIN should also be blacklisted, meaning they can get phone service if they use a carrier other than your gf's, but not data.
    04-04-09 09:39 AM
    The person will not be able to get it reconnected with the same service as the phone should have been flagged stolen. If it is a Verizon or Sprint they can have it flashed to Metro PCS, or if the phone was unlocked with a GSM carrier they can insert sim and use as wanted. What kind of phone? What service provider?
    04-04-09 09:40 AM
    The person will not be able to get it reconnected with the same service as the phone should have been flagged stolen. If it is a Verizon or Sprint they can have it flashed to Metro PCS, or if the phone was unlocked with a GSM carrier they can insert sim and use as wanted. What kind of phone? What service provider?
    It was an iphone.

I think it would be great if the carriers would get a flag on their screen terminal and, while telling the "customer" that it would be a few minutes for the system to register the new account, they went to the back room and called the police.... Or at the very least, confiscated the phone.

My storm never leaves my side.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-09 10:36 AM
    they can still use it just change the sim. but as tmo told me when i had them and had my phone stolen was i can just make a police report have it faxed to tmo they do all the work from there to find who has it and the account. the police will then be notified by tmo and a call will be made to me to then set a time to find it and pick it up to then either press charges or not. i do belive att does it too

now if its unlocked and under a diff network than idk what to tell you on that one.
    04-04-09 02:02 PM
    There is a scenario whereby an IMEI number (worldwide unique to each cell phone) is blacklisted. This happens if the phone is known to have been lost or stolen and an insurance company has paid out on the incident.

A blacklisted phone will never work on any carrier within the country where it was bought / paid out by the insurance company.

The blacklist is permanent. Thus you can unlock the SIM lock and when you put a SIM card in, the phone will simply not work - ever.

If this is the case with your phone then you can do nothing with it at all. It is scrap and totally useless other than as a paperweight.
    04-04-09 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD