So this is my mother's storm. It is using the Verizon 5.0 version 328. I recently uninstalled BB Messenger and installed google talk. Now when I click on the sms icon I receive that java error message. I can send sms messages using the address book, but cannot view any incoming sms messages. A battery pull did not help. Any ideas?
    06-08-10 09:18 PM
    do you have access to a computer and a usb data cord?
    06-10-10 07:18 PM
    When you see uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException, that mean that you have an application in your BB is not compatible with. Delete it and you will solve the problem.
    06-11-10 06:08 AM
    I had the same error message on my Storm for months too. The only way to fix it was to buy an Incredible.
    06-11-10 06:38 AM
    Yeah I have an eris, this is my moms. I ended up backing it up, doing a security wipe, and then restoring it. The app I installed was google talk, and uninstalling it did not fix the problem. I was able to send sms messages, but could not open the sms folder to view incoming messages.
    06-11-10 11:34 AM
    dont worry about a security wipe.. just reinstall a new OS.. not the same and it will replace the sms file in the os. thus replacing the problem file makin the problem just floooooooat away :-D good luck
    06-12-10 01:41 AM
    So??? Gotta keep us updated. The CB community likes to follow up on its fellow members.
    06-13-10 12:29 AM
    I had this problem a couple weeks ago. I figured it was a bad text sent or received so I cleared out all of my SMS/MMSs by doing the following and it worked! (This will obviously delete all of your texts, so backup thru USB any you really need)

1. Go to your messages (email)
    2. Hit the BB Button and go to view folder then SMS inbox
    3. Hit todays date, then delete prior.
    4. Repeat steps 1,2,3 for SMS Outbox, MMS inbox, MMS outbox
    5. Battery pull and then try going into SMS normally
    06-13-10 06:53 PM
    Hm.. I've never heard that one before. Just one more little bug in 5.0 ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-10 07:14 PM
    Hello everyone, error(uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException ) is showing on my BB and ever since then i have not been able to see SMS icon my phone os therefore i cant view my messages. What can i do, i do want to loose the message. Forum please come to my aid.
    09-06-10 01:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD