I got a new Storm 2 today from Verizon and noticed it still lacks EMS capability, which means that foreign charactors such as cannot be typed into SMS and MMS messages. This has been a known "issue" on Verizon Blackberry devices. Emails, and PIN messaging works just fine.

Hopefully my letter to the CEO will do something.

Dear Mr. McAdam,
    I am a longtime Verizon Wireless customer and also a Spanish speaker.I have been through two Blackberry smartphones and perhaps my biggest gripe (other than blocking the GPS) is the lack of EMS capability on these devices. EMS or enhanced messaging enables a phone to override the 160 charactor limit on SMS, I do not recall what the limit is but In additon, it allows the user to type foreign charactors such as , etc. The Verizon Blackberry devices are typically bundled with the option of English, Spanish and French How come is it that these devices cannot support EMS in SMS and MMS messaging on Verizon branded Blackberries? It is supported in other CMDA carriers, other Verizon smartphones (WinMo, Treo) and regular Verizon branded "dumbphones". Can we come up with a workaroung for this? Especially when Verizon Wireless caters and sells the Spanish speaking market by having a website in Spanish and support in Spanish. While it is not important in English, Spanish relies heavily on accented charactors. Lacking an accent can completely change the meaning of what is being said, or the conjugation of a word. The Spanish letter is also very important. "Ao" means "year" while "ano" means "rectum". These devices are not only upper end, almost flagship models but they are used by business professionals and consumers alike many of which who communicate in Spanish. Lack of such capabilities when even the most basic "dumbphone" sold by Verizon is ridiculous. Last time I made a suggestion to modifying software, I was rudely told by a Verizon employee that it would not be economically viable for Verizon programmers to make the change, this was when I had a Pearl, and it was almost two years ago. I would hope I do not have to hear the same excuse again, especially for the brand new Storm 2 which I hold in my hands. Please make these changes. According to RIM, the lack of this capability is due to limitations of the carrier. If nothing else, Im sure it wouldnt take much to make a Verizon branded application for EMS that runs on the Blackberry much like the VCast software or the song ID software. I believe that Verizon Wireless has a distinct edge over the competition due to it's solid, reliable network, constantly updated equipment selection, lack of 1984-style control (Apple / AT&T), and great customer service. Making such changes would benefit Verizon greatly. Please take this into consideration. Thank you for your time and have a great day.
    04-02-10 10:25 PM
    Cool story Bro!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-10 11:45 PM
    The GPS isn't locked from what you remember. I use it all the time with Google Maps. Sometimes it's a little glitch, but it works overall for me.

And your argument for "business" use won't hold water. If you really need to conduct "business" type of communication, E-mail would be the way 99.99% of communication is conducted for that situation. SMS and MMS are not an appropriate way to conduct "business" and, therefore, are not a priority in this matter. If you must communicate with people through BES (or BIS for that matter) within your company use PIN messaging which is covered. For communicating outside use E-mail. Simple as that.

VZW will most likely return a "rude reply" because your E-mail was arrogantly rude to begin with. They may also not reply at all. I know I wouldn't respond to an E-mail like that. Now if it were in EMS format... I probably wouldn't even look at it before I simply deleted it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-10 02:46 AM
    I got a new Storm 2 today from Verizon and noticed it still lacks EMS capability, which means that foreign charactors such as cannot be typed into SMS and MMS messages. This has been a known "issue" on Verizon Blackberry devices. Emails, and PIN messaging works just fine.

Hopefully my letter to the CEO will do something.

Dear Mr. McAdam,
    I am a longtime Verizon Wireless customer and also a Spanish speaker.I have been through two Blackberry smartphones and perhaps my biggest gripe (other than blocking the GPS) is the lack of EMS capability on these devices. EMS or enhanced messaging enables a phone to override the 160 charactor limit on SMS, I do not recall what the limit is but In additon, it allows the user to type foreign charactors such as , etc. The Verizon Blackberry devices are typically bundled with the option of English, Spanish and French How come is it that these devices cannot support EMS in SMS and MMS messaging on Verizon branded Blackberries? It is supported in other CMDA carriers, other Verizon smartphones (WinMo, Treo) and regular Verizon branded "dumbphones". Can we come up with a workaroung for this? Especially when Verizon Wireless caters and sells the Spanish speaking market by having a website in Spanish and support in Spanish. While it is not important in English, Spanish relies heavily on accented charactors. Lacking an accent can completely change the meaning of what is being said, or the conjugation of a word. The Spanish letter is also very important. "Ao" means "year" while "ano" means "rectum". These devices are not only upper end, almost flagship models but they are used by business professionals and consumers alike many of which who communicate in Spanish. Lack of such capabilities when even the most basic "dumbphone" sold by Verizon is ridiculous. Last time I made a suggestion to modifying software, I was rudely told by a Verizon employee that it would not be economically viable for Verizon programmers to make the change, this was when I had a Pearl, and it was almost two years ago. I would hope I do not have to hear the same excuse again, especially for the brand new Storm 2 which I hold in my hands. Please make these changes. According to RIM, the lack of this capability is due to limitations of the carrier. If nothing else, Im sure it wouldnt take much to make a Verizon branded application for EMS that runs on the Blackberry much like the VCast software or the song ID software. I believe that Verizon Wireless has a distinct edge over the competition due to it's solid, reliable network, constantly updated equipment selection, lack of 1984-style control (Apple / AT&T), and great customer service. Making such changes would benefit Verizon greatly. Please take this into consideration. Thank you for your time and have a great day.
    If u hold your finger over the letter you get an option to chose! try it out it works for me.
    04-03-10 03:00 AM
    If u hold your finger over the letter you get an option to chose! try it out it works for me.
    +1..i dont even have the languages install and have that option....wow you are going to look like a frakking ***** to Mr. McAdam
    04-03-10 03:12 AM
    Hovering your finger without tapping definitely brings up the other characters you want. You should have read the tips and tricks in the storm2 forum and you would have found that information.
    04-03-10 07:55 AM
    When will his madness stop! Another case of someone who doesn't know how to work their device. Shocking.

Your PS to McAdams should read;

Kindly send me a users manual.
    Last edited by jbdale; 04-03-10 at 09:11 AM.
    04-03-10 09:07 AM
    When will his madness stop! Another case of someone who doesn't know how to work their device. Shocking.

Your PS to McAdams should read;

Kindly send me a users manual.

Look whos talking, as I have mentioned, and as many others on Crackberry have mentioned, it DOES NOT work in SMS. If the input language is selected as Spanish or another foreign language, there is no option for foreign characters in SMS. If you do it in MMS, they show but are stripped when the message is sent.
    This has been a known issue, searching the forum might dig up something instead of being rude about it like a few of the other posters. I thought that I was clear about it in my "letter

I really didnt feel like my letter was [I]that[I] arrogant. Even though SMS isnt according to some a business application (matter of opinion), when Verizon sells and markets in Spanish, and when the phone has the simple capability on other carriers, AND when even the simplest phones Verizon sells have this capability, it should be included.

If you spoke Spanish and you couldnt communicate with your friends and loved ones via SMS (all who do have EMS capable phones) you might not be happy with the 500 dollar hole in your pocket either.

Lowell and his office assistants are actually quite professional and understanding people, at that high of a level, who isnt. I bet Ill get a call within the next week with at least an explanation is to why this hasnt been implemented.

Last but not least...laguage install. Under the add and remove apps option in Blackberry Desktop, there is the option to install languages. Before anybody steps up to say it, I understand and have mentioned this was an option placed by RIM.

Related links
    Re: Length of text message - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Foreign Characters on Verizon Blackberries
    04-03-10 01:34 PM
    Look whos talking, as I have mentioned, and as many others on Crackberry have mentioned, it DOES NOT work in SMS. If the input language is selected as Spanish or another foreign language, there is no option for foreign characters in SMS. If you do it in MMS, they show but are stripped when the message is sent.
    This has been a known issue, searching the forum might dig up something instead of being rude about it like a few of the other posters. I thought that I was clear about it in my "letter

I really didnt feel like my letter was [I]that[I] arrogant. Even though SMS isnt according to some a business application (matter of opinion), when Verizon sells and markets in Spanish, and when the phone has the simple capability on other carriers, AND when even the simplest phones Verizon sells have this capability, it should be included.

If you spoke Spanish and you couldnt communicate with your friends and loved ones via SMS (all who do have EMS capable phones) you might not be happy with the 500 dollar hole in your pocket either.

Lowell and his office assistants are actually quite professional and understanding people, at that high of a level, who isnt. I bet Ill get a call within the next week with at least an explanation is to why this hasnt been implemented.

Last but not least...laguage install. Under the add and remove apps option in Blackberry Desktop, there is the option to install languages. Before anybody steps up to say it, I understand and have mentioned this was an option placed by RIM.

Related links

I rest my case
    04-03-10 09:54 PM
    I dont got anything other than English installed on mine (pretty sure I removed them) and I can still send Spanish letters.
    04-04-10 06:29 PM

Related links

I know that the characters get stripped in an SMS, which is why I say to use E-mail. Why is this such a difficult thing to grasp? If you are offered two options, and one of them doesn't work for you, use the other one. Simplicity is the key.

I also understand that it would be easier to text family members, but calling would be even easier than texting! What about that?

And when you say things like:

Verizon sells and markets in Spanish
    Is your goal to make them stop marketing in Spanish? Would marketing in only English solve your problem?? This would avoid these unnecessary letters and the unnecessary need for "business" (or just casual texting to family -- whichever you feel like using as the "truth") EMS which would cost more for the company who would trickle these costs into my pocket.

So, you have said in your first post that you needed EMS for "business" where I suggested using E-mail, but it seems that you only want it for texting family. Which one is true? You even aimed your E-mail to VZW as a "business" E-mail and not an "I just want this for the convenience of texting family" E-mail.

I feel you should get your facts straight before trying to pull something like that.
    Last edited by stillborn86; 04-06-10 at 11:27 PM.
    04-06-10 11:23 PM
    I have been suffering with 2 Storms since they came out. Both of em are totally un-reliable. Whenever I really need to use my phone, I get to see the "Hour Glass Of Death". I have maybe 3 apps installed. Even after a battery pull and a memory clean, I still am forced to do a battery pull a couple times a day. This phone is a joke.
    I called and even wrote Verizon and they were not very sympathetic. Sorry, but I have better things to do than stand in line forever to hear a tech tell me there is nothing wrong.
    I am sooo thinking of giving up on Blackberry altogether...
    04-07-10 05:22 PM
    I have been suffering with 2 Storms since they came out. Both of em are totally un-reliable. Whenever I really need to use my phone, I get to see the "Hour Glass Of Death". I have maybe 3 apps installed. Even after a battery pull and a memory clean, I still am forced to do a battery pull a couple times a day. This phone is a joke.
    I called and even wrote Verizon and they were not very sympathetic. Sorry, but I have better things to do than stand in line forever to hear a tech tell me there is nothing wrong.
    I am sooo thinking of giving up on Blackberry altogether...
    It sounds like your running .65. Have you upgraded to 5.0 yet?
    04-08-10 04:04 PM
    yes...no help.
    04-15-10 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD