I was just doing a battery pull and noticed that part of the white information sticker behind my battery is smudged. The writing and bar code is wiping off, even if i touch it with my finger, and there is an ink spot on the back of my battery from where it is coming off of the sticker.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? I am curious if that could be a sign of water damage and void my warranty in the future if I needed it?
    05-16-09 06:09 AM
    My storm is only a few days old, but I have pulled the battery a few times because I have been messing with it and no smudges or anything like that on it.
    05-16-09 06:13 AM
    If discolored/smudged & u didn't get phone wet, contact ur carrier.
    Last edited by Transfigured; 07-02-09 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Incorrect description of water damage indicator.
    05-16-09 10:23 AM
    Water damage indicator:

Small round white sticker w/red bar covering torque screw.

If discolored/smudged & u didn't get phone wet, contact ur carrier.
    Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking. I will give them a call and see what they say.
    05-16-09 12:15 PM
    I haven't had a chance to call the store I got it from yet, but does anyone else have any other input? Does anyone know if they can claim this water damage even if no water actually got into the phone itself?
    05-16-09 09:33 PM
    Some of my # are the same way

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by rbaird91; 05-16-09 at 10:42 PM.
    05-16-09 10:39 PM
    If you're using a non-BB battery, it could be due to battery overheating, the way you initially described it it sounded like the info sticker with the ESN etc under the battery, not the water damage sticker which is under the battery cover, but below the battery, not under it.
    05-17-09 12:36 AM
    there's several moisture indicators in there, a couple are visible. if a sticker turns red it means there's "damage", but if you don't have water damage you should contact them and let them know. I wouldn't worry about the bar code/writing being smudged, that shouldn't matter.
    05-17-09 12:58 AM
    if those numbers are smudged on the phone its gonna be oow due to tampering with hardware considered to the oem...i work for at&t warranty escalations desk and had an issue with a cust. like that and sadly it was oow from at&t policy anyway....
    05-17-09 02:29 AM
    The bar code/info sticker is not a water damage indicator whatsoever. I find it strange that it is smudging though because one of my previous Curve's went through a full wash cycle in the washing machine. That sticker looked like it was just put on in the factory. Didn't smudge, lose stickiness, fade, or anything.

Btw, as soon as you call in and ask about this, they are going to notate your account most likely saying to deny warranty service if Telus considers smudges on that sticker the same as AT&T does.
    05-17-09 02:34 AM
    Yeah it is the sticker under the battery with the ESN and pin number and all that on there.

I am not using an aftermarket battery, it is the original, and I was thinking the same thing about the battery over heating.

That is a load of crap if they consider that tampering with the phone, nothing has been tampered with, except of course having a business card under the battery door. I wonder if that is forcing the battery into the back of the phone and causing it to over heat?
    05-17-09 09:16 PM
    Wait a minute ... does that mean that the little round sticker that I have under my battery that is red with a white bar in it is saying I have gotten my phone wet?

My label with my phone info located behind the battery looks brand new.
    05-17-09 11:56 PM
    From what I know the little round sticker is supposed to be red with a white bar. If it changes colour or anything then it says it has been wet.
    05-17-09 11:58 PM
    Wait a minute ... does that mean that the little round sticker that I have under my battery that is red with a white bar in it is saying I have gotten my phone wet?

My label with my phone info located behind the battery looks brand new.
    Do you mean the sticker over the screw? That is just the warranty sticker that indicates whether or not you've taken apart your phone or not.

The one that indicates water damage is the one that's visible on the left side when you remove the battery.
    05-18-09 12:00 AM
    The moisture indicator on a storm is NOT the round red sticker with the minus sign in it. That is merely a sticker put in place so that the manufacturer can tell if the device has been opened and tampered with. Hence why there is a screw under it.

One indicator is on the left hand side of the device about a microSD card away from the SIM card.
    05-18-09 12:03 AM
    lol, okay. Good. Thanks!
    05-18-09 12:03 AM
    Where are the other indicators for water damage then?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 12:22 AM
    There is one on the inside of the device. If you will let me get back to work tomorrow to take a peak into my storm I will let you know. I don't remember right off the top of my head.
    05-18-09 01:30 AM
    i have a question. i got a bold with a round white sticker on the right middle screw. Now the sticker is in tact but one side of the sticker the edge seems to have a little bit of chipping going on. Will this void my warranty even though sticker is in tact? please email me with answers. thank you.
    05-24-09 12:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD