This is about as simple and as step by step as I can put it. Experts, let me know if you think I'm wrong.

Step by step on how to install OS

BEFRE ANYTHING, BACKUP YOUR PHONE JUST IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG!!!

Remove your memory card.

1. Remove all installed Operating Systems from add/remove programs and OS folders from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files ( if you have any installed)

2.Download (if you haven't already) and install OS onto your computer.

3. Remove RIM internal tools from add/remove programs in control panel ( if the OS that you're installing comes with them)

4. *Optional! If you don't want to shrink anything out or prefer not to use Shrink OS, skip this step*

Download Shrink-A-OS, unzip, and place all of those files into your OS folder which will be here: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files. Now, right click on Shrink-A-OS inside that folder and click Run As Administrator. At the top of Shrink-A-OS check the box that says "Shrink-A-OS is inside my Current OS Folder." Remove what you want and the click "Shrink My OS!" Close it out.

5. *Skip this step if you used Shrink-A-OS, as it has already been deleted.*

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and delete the vendor.xml file

6.In the same folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader double click the Loader or if you're having trouble you may have to right click and choose run as administrator (its the one with the pic of a phone) file, click next and it will show your pin click next again. It will go through a couple of steps and then a box will pop up with what is going to be installed. You can also remove or install things here. (If you want to be sure you are installing the right OS you can check here: The top line is Blackberry Software xxx. Select this, then click details at the bottom. A box will pop, click the Modules tab. There are 2 columns. The left column is what is already on the phone, example 4.7.0.148 and it will have a bunch of this number and the right column shows you what is going to be installed on the phone, example 4.7.0.151 and again you will see a bunch of this number in that column. So now you know what is going on the phone) As long as everything is there that you want installed click next and then another box will pop up and tells you what is going to be installed and what is going to be deleted. Click Finish and let it do it's thing and install. (This can take a LONG time in some cases, do not unplug until it is finished.

7. Enjoy your new OS!!
    Last edited by z06mike; 10-03-09 at 03:24 PM.
    10-01-09 11:30 PM
    I think you're wrong.

BTW, I don't think there's any reason to remove the memory card.
    10-02-09 07:48 AM
    I give you a thumbs up for trying. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to matter how many of these write ups are done you will still have to work with people anyway. At least until you get tired of it.

At least you can reference them to this thread if you like to make it easier on you.
    10-02-09 08:37 AM
    I think you're wrong.

BTW, I don't think there's any reason to remove the memory card.

LOL

I've just heard of a few people that get corrupt cards after an install. I also don't believe this anything to do with it, but I figure it's easier just to remove it than to have to worry about it.
    10-02-09 10:41 AM
    I didn't read anywhere in there to wipe their phone so nothing disrupts the install. It's by their own choice of course, but many people don't know how to do it.

Just a friendly tip
    10-02-09 05:47 PM
    I dont recommend wiping to anyone really unless they have issues.
    10-02-09 05:55 PM
    I didn't read anywhere in there to wipe their phone so nothing disrupts the install. It's by their own choice of course, but many people don't know how to do it.

Just a friendly tip

I actually haven't done a wipe through BBSAK for a long time. The phone is wiped before the new OS is installed anyways, so there won't be any disruptions. Having other OSs installed on your computer, now that can cause some disruption!
    10-02-09 08:29 PM
    I used this guide this morning thank you very much it worked like a charm.
    10-02-09 11:46 PM
    I used this guide this morning thank you very much it worked like a charm.
    and how much did he pay you to say this
    10-03-09 12:23 AM
    I dont recommend wiping to anyone really unless they have issues.
    I started to comment on this the other day, I too say do not wipe unless you have an issue. The OS install does a wipe for you.
    10-03-09 08:15 AM
    Wiping makes no difference either way. Wipe if it makes you feel better or don't, it really makes doesn't matter or cause additional issues so do what you want. Equally unimportant is removing the memory card. The card is not involved in the process.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-09 10:01 AM
    I just wiped cause it was my first time installing a leaked OS, and I didn't want anything to go wrong. Thanks for letting me know it wipes before installing it anyway
    10-03-09 10:42 AM
    and how much did he pay you to say this

ONE HUNDRED MILLLIOON DOLLARRS!!!!

10-03-09 11:13 AM
    I just dont get it. Trying to load up the .230 on my storm and my computer will not see it. No RIM internal tools to delete and no other OS on the computer. Bizzare.
    10-03-09 02:42 PM
    Did you delete the vendor.xml file?
    10-03-09 02:47 PM
    follow this step by step paying attention to the pictures
    How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com

Also, disconnect from internet and also run loader.exe in ADMIN mode (right click, run as admin)

That should allow you to have no issues

One last thing......If you are current running a hybrid or you are installing the same os (ie 230 initial to 230 full) you might want to check the "downgrade" option listed in like step 4 of the link i supplied. read through it and it talks about it. This will work for some people having troubles i think.
    Last edited by howarmat; 10-03-09 at 02:59 PM.
    10-03-09 02:54 PM
    Did you delete the vendor.xml file?
    Tried it with deleting the vendor xml, then removed the entire OS. reinstalled and tried without deleting the vendor xml. Same result.
    10-03-09 03:03 PM
    Did you follow the instructions exactly?

Removed previous OSs and OS folders?
    10-03-09 03:17 PM
    How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com

Also, disconnect from internet and also run loader.exe in ADMIN mode (right click, run as admin)

One last thing......If you are current running a hybrid or you are installing the same os (ie 230 initial to 230 full) you might want to check the "downgrade" option listed in like step 4 of the link i supplied. read through it and it talks about it. This will work for some people having troubles i think.

Score!! Running apploader in admin was the key. Thanks for that!!
    10-03-09 03:21 PM
    where can i get os 5 for my storm??
    10-03-09 07:58 PM
    What is the thought behind disconnecting from the internet? Ive never done this and haven't ever had a problem.

10-03-09 08:04 PM
    few things arent needed,i downloaded .230 the other night...i didnt have to take out memory card,or deletemy other os off my dl manager. and u dont need to dbl click loader,it does it automatically. nice post tho. keep workin at it.
    10-03-09 08:07 PM
    Did you follow the instructions exactly?

Removed previous OSs and OS folders?
    this doesnt need to be done,at least i didnt do it and its working sweet. just putting my 2 cents in.
    10-03-09 08:09 PM
    I think people forget to disconnect from the internet before they open up DM
    10-03-09 08:15 PM
    What is the thought behind disconnecting from the internet? Ive never done this and haven't ever had a problem.

The fact that it will pick up updates from the internet is the thought behind that.
    10-04-09 10:28 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD