I was contacked by my bank today that some one was trying to transfer 1000$ from my bank today. Lucky it was stopped but they traced it and it is from the visual voice mail app that runs off of youmail. It is getting information through e-mail. I suggest that anyone using it remove it until the creator of this app can figure out the issue. It is crapy cuase the app worked well. I just cant afford to loose money as I am sure no one realy can. Good luck!!
    01-29-09 11:23 AM
    Good call, but you may want to extinguish VVM from the YOUMAIL program you are using, may get Verizon VVM users a little worried!.
    The 3.00 for Verizons app seems like a Great deal, afterall:-)
    01-29-09 11:25 AM
    This is exactly why I pay for 3.00 for the VVM from Veriozon because my voicemails are important to me and dont want to trust a "free" program to my personal info like this. Good catch..
    01-29-09 11:33 AM
    Good call, but you may want to extinguish VVM from the YOUMAIL program you are using, may get Verizon VVM users a little worried!.
    The 3.00 for Verizons app seems like a Great deal, afterall:-)
    I think you meant to say distinguish. Just guessing.
    01-29-09 11:36 AM
    I don't doubt that some hacker has figured out a way to spy on email thru a third party app that accesses your blackberry - but I fail to see how acess to seeing email resulted in a security breach at your bank.

I don't doubt this happened and sincerely appreciate the warning (I use youmail and the joekrill visual mail app) so, I am interested in more details.

However, on the surface it appears to be a sophmoric effort of a criminal to only attempt a $1000 transfer and then get busted before the transaction completed and get traced to the source. Your bank sounds awesome. Who are they? What tipped them off? What info was in an email that would compromise your account information? I bank online with 4 different banks and I can't think of a single instance of any email communication via email. And if there was any it may contain only innocuous account number info and not anything enabling account access.

Please understand - I don't doubt the OP's sincerity. I also appreciate any warnings - I just don't understand the connection between a visual vm app and attempted bank fraud.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 11:37 AM
    Yet another reason not to trust 3rd party voicemail apps like YouMail. There's no telling who works for those companies and how secure your voicemail account will be.

Maybe one day people on here will actually listen to when I gripe about 3rd party apps such as these that require just a little too much info about you as a person. Take for instance the app Kevin videoed at the convention that showed where you can add all your financial accounts to it and it would track info and send it to your BB for a monthly fee. Yeah... that sounds secure. Remember... your identity is only as secure as the people you trust with it.
    01-29-09 11:52 AM
    I don't doubt that some hacker has figured out a way to spy on email thru a third party app that accesses your blackberry - but I fail to see how acess to seeing email resulted in a security breach at your bank.

I don't doubt this happened and sincerely appreciate the warning (I use youmail and the joekrill visual mail app) so, I am interested in more details.

However, on the surface it appears to be a sophmoric effort of a criminal to only attempt a $1000 transfer and then get busted before the transaction completed and get traced to the source. Your bank sounds awesome. Who are they? What tipped them off? What info was in an email that would compromise your account information? I bank online with 4 different banks and I can't think of a single instance of any email communication via email. And if there was any it may contain only innocuous account number info and not anything enabling account access.

Please understand - I don't doubt the OP's sincerity. I also appreciate any warnings - I just don't understand the connection between a visual vm app and attempted bank fraud.

+1
    This is exactly what I was thinking. If you were able to enlighten us with a little more info (within reason) as to how this person/persons was able to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.
    01-29-09 11:54 AM
    Can a moderator please edit the title of this posting? Last thing VZW needs is bogus calls about it's VVM program having spyware.
    01-29-09 11:54 AM

+1

Nor do I understand how the bank could trace it to the VVM app itself. The best they could do would get down to the IP of the unit from which an online transaction was initiated.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 01-29-09 at 11:59 AM.
    01-29-09 11:56 AM
    I've been using YouMail for over a month now and wasn't aware there is a YouMail Application - Is this an application authored by YouMail or a 3rd Party? Where did you obtain it?

When I get a Voicemail, YouMail sends me an email to my Gmail account with a .wav attachment - and I listen to that on my Storm or PC.

I agree with the previous poster. I do not see how your bank would be able to "trace" the source of your account leak down to an application level. I'd be interested to know how they achieved that - I've been in the Information Tech business for 20+ years now and I don't know anyone that could do that - anyway.

Please post the name of the Application and where you downloaded it from.

PS: As with the other posters, I don't doubt the sincerity of the OP and would love more information so that I can prevent anything similar from happening to myself or mine.
    Last edited by bbsean; 01-29-09 at 12:25 PM.
    01-29-09 12:17 PM
    The OP better be right or he may be looking at a defamation claim from the company that owns YouMail if the above ends up being a false statement of fact and hurts the company. Not sure how the bank was able to tell it was from the YouMail app...
    Last edited by vtbert3; 01-29-09 at 12:36 PM.
    01-29-09 12:25 PM
    i have used youmail for 6 months and have never had a issue with security!
    01-29-09 12:58 PM

I agree...In order for someone to have used your YouMail to access your bank account, they would have had to have access to your bank information as well as other sensitive information, such as your bank's routing number.

Have you signed up for any of the pay services offered by YouMail ?

If not, then I would be very interested in how anyone from YouMail would have gotten enough information to attempt a transaction at your bank.

There are a number of ways that sensitive information gets compromised. Bank account / credit card numbers get compromised every day - even at reputable businesses and establishments....every business is always one employee away from an information security disaster.

Although I don't doubt what your bank has told you, I would urge you to follow up with your bank and attempt to ascertain exactly where the transaction originated. Most scammers and hackers are more savvy than to leave a trace directly back to themselves....

Just a thought.
    01-29-09 12:58 PM
    Yet another reason not to trust 3rd party voicemail apps like YouMail. There's no telling who works for those companies and how secure your voicemail account will be.

Maybe one day people on here will actually listen to when I gripe about 3rd party apps such as these that require just a little too much info about you as a person. Take for instance the app Kevin videoed at the convention that showed where you can add all your financial accounts to it and it would track info and send it to your BB for a monthly fee. Yeah... that sounds secure. Remember... your identity is only as secure as the people you trust with it.
    Couldn't agree more, I don;t mind paying for the service thru verizon..... most free 3rd party apps are blah now days........
    01-29-09 01:01 PM
    I could see where the user paid for one of the youmail premium services using a temp credit card number and somebody at youmail attempted to use that information. Or a youmail employee tried to take the $1000 using youmail's identity and it showed up that way.
    01-29-09 01:14 PM
    I used to use an iPhone....it had real visual voicemail, what Verizon offers is a poor attempt at VVM. But I guess it's better than nothing.
    01-29-09 01:16 PM
    VVM is not You Mail
    This is just one of the reasons I use VVM. You get what you pay for!

01-29-09 01:21 PM
    I used to use an iPhone....it had real visual voicemail, what Verizon offers is a poor attempt at VVM. But I guess it's better than nothing.
    Off topic, but how is iPhone VVM different from Verizon's VVM? As I understand it, iPhone VVM shows you how many voicemails you have, how many are unheard, and when you select a message to listen it downloads from AT&T's server just like Verizon's does.
    01-29-09 01:23 PM
    And what is real visual voice mail

01-29-09 01:23 PM
    Since I don't know of any other Visual Voicemail applications that use YouMail other than my own, I can only assume you are talking about the application I wrote -- VyMail.

Let me state straight away -- there is no spyware or anything of the sort in my application. It accesses YouMail servers using HTTP and that is it -- nothing else. Go ahead and run it in a simulator if you want to verify.

Let me also say - I have no affiliation with YouMail. I write VyMail in my own free time.

Finally, what you are suggesting doesn't even make sense. There is no way my application could steal your bank account information anyway. That's absurd. I don't even know how that would be possible. Do you store your bank account information in your phone somewhere? Your accusations make absolutely no sense and you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Please stop spreading false rumors.
    01-29-09 01:44 PM
    Why not use Fusion Voice Mail? It is free and works great. Also it is from a trusted source. Here is the article from our beloved Crackberry: http://crackberry.com/phonefusion-br...lus-blackberry
    01-29-09 02:39 PM
    Been using VyMail w/ YouMail for a while now - no issues. The app works great. Coming from the mouth of a fellow programmer, the claim made in this thread makes absolutely no sense. How would this app find out bank account information by having hooks to your youmail account?

Look at the permissions the app asks for when it installs and you'll understand.

Keep up the good work joekr.
    01-29-09 02:49 PM
    I think you meant to say distinguish. Just guessing.
    He could have meant "extinguish" as it put out, rid yourself of. From the rest of the sentence, you're probably right, but it's possible he chose the word he intended to.
    01-29-09 02:50 PM
    Been using VyMail w/ YouMail for a while now - no issues. The app works great. Coming from the mouth of a fellow programmer, the claim made in this thread makes absolutely no sense. How would this app find out bank account information by having hooks to your youmail account?

Look at the permissions the app asks for when it installs and you'll understand.

Keep up the good work joekr.
    I dont think the program is what he is saying has the spyware, as much as the service in general. Just my take on how it was presented.
    01-29-09 02:53 PM
    Since I don't know of any other Visual Voicemail applications that use YouMail other than my own, I can only assume you are talking about the application I wrote -- VyMail.

Let me state straight away -- there is no spyware or anything of the sort in my application. It accesses YouMail servers using HTTP and that is it -- nothing else. Go ahead and run it in a simulator if you want to verify.

Let me also say - I have no affiliation with YouMail. I write VyMail in my own free time.

Finally, what you are suggesting doesn't even make sense. There is no way my application could steal your bank account information anyway. That's absurd. I don't even know how that would be possible. Do you store your bank account information in your phone somewhere? Your accusations make absolutely no sense and you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Please stop spreading false rumors.
    Thanks Joe for posting. I've been using YouMail since 12/07 and have never had a problem with it. And I've been using VyMail on the Storm since December. No problems with that either.

There's a lot of holes in this spyware accusation that I'd like to see filled in. And a lot of fuzziness that makes it not quite add up. I'd like the OP to post a full description of the problem, the conversation with your bank, the issue the OP believes exists, etc. On some level, the "conversation with the bank" almost sounds like a phishing expedition directed at the OP.
    01-29-09 03:09 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD