Two questions....A. will deleting the documents to go app (excel,word, powerpoint) speed up the storm. and B. if i dont use powerpoint, excel, or word is it necessary to keep them on the device??
    12-07-08 10:39 PM
    Two questions....A. will deleting the documents to go app (excel,word, powerpoint) speed up the storm. and B. if i dont use powerpoint, excel, or word is it necessary to keep them on the device??
    you can delete them,and if you find you need them as i just did(exel) just redownload them,,,no biggie
    and i run real lean and my storm is much qucker
    12-07-08 10:44 PM
    1: Doubtful, since they aren't loaded into memory until you use them
    2: No
    it will free more memory.. which could in turn speed it up. However the apps work really well.. once in a while i get a powerpoint in a email of something cool my mom sends or whatever and they play great..

and the word one can be used to edit word documents so you could place a blank document on the device and be able to create work documents using it as a template.

It is up to you in the end.. but you will be hard pressed to find a better app for its purpose..
    1: Doubtful, since they aren't loaded into memory until you use them
    2: No

1. yes they take up your application memory even when there not loaded it just takes up more memory when there loaded..
    12-07-08 10:46 PM
    I personally wouldn't, alot of users report removing vznavigator / visual voice mail, and also hiding the icons that you dont use speeds it up quite a bit,
    12-07-08 10:48 PM
    1. yes they take up your application memory even when there not loaded it just takes up more memory when there loaded..
    I'm still new to the BB world, but that makes absolutely no sense. It sounds like you're confusing RAM with storage. So what if the programs are loaded into storage, they aren't taking up any RAM until you load them, and available RAM is what is going to make the major difference in performance.

I find it hard to believe RIM would use some kind of Flash memory as the main system RAM. Flash cells will wear out over time, not to mention they're considerably slower. So unless there's some part of the equation I'm missing here, I cannot figure any way to have that make sense.
    12-07-08 11:08 PM
    I agree with bigman. Non the less I am still consolidating and deleting because I just like to keep a clean phone. It is nice to only have the things you need because then find things much faster which saves time even if it doesn't speed of the bb(at least for me)
    12-07-08 11:11 PM
    The easiest speed increase is making sure all your unsed programs are closed. To check that press and hold the BB button until the task list comes up. The biggest thing I can't stress enough is close VZnav. It takes up so much processing time and running memory.
    12-07-08 11:24 PM
    I'm still new to the BB world, but that makes absolutely no sense. It sounds like you're confusing RAM with storage. So what if the programs are loaded into storage, they aren't taking up any RAM until you load them, and available RAM is what is going to make the major difference in performance.

I find it hard to believe RIM would use some kind of Flash memory as the main system RAM. Flash cells will wear out over time, not to mention they're considerably slower. So unless there's some part of the equation I'm missing here, I cannot figure any way to have that make sense.
    You said it. The File Free on Status is indicative of available system memory (total of 128MB). Forget about RAM on a BB platform. File Free is what makes a big difference in performance. The more the marrier. Since apps are loaded on the internal system memory (128MB), uninstalling useless apps that you don't use is a good thing to do, which does speed up the performance of the phone.

Please refrain from posting incorrect information. Just because it doesn't make sense to you, does not mean you're correct.
    12-08-08 12:24 AM
    aww civic cut the guy some slack, he is new.

and his information is wrong for BB but not incorrect in most of the world. If you are not familiar with BB and the JVM and free memory thing then most people would assume its a OS that has storage than ram
    12-08-08 12:27 AM
    You said it. The File Free on Status is indicative of available system memory (total of 128MB). Forget about RAM on a BB platform. File Free is what makes a big difference in performance. The more the marrier. Since apps are loaded on the internal system memory (128MB), uninstalling useless apps that you don't use is a good thing to do, which does speed up the performance of the phone.

Please refrain from posting incorrect information. Just because it doesn't make sense to you, does not mean you're correct.
    That's still not making sense -- and I'm not saying it's wrong because it doesn't make sense to me I might add, as I did say something to the effect of "unless there's some part of the equation I'm missing" -- because it just defies all good software engineering practice.

On an embedded platform you have very finite and fixed resources, so it would not make any sense at all to build a system where every installed program is always loaded into memory. It would make considerably MORE sense to not only load just the apps you are running, but also do demand loading like Linux does, and only load the parts of the app you're using. Giving up a little performance in order to conserve limited resources. Even if you have a garbage collector in the JVM, you don't rely on it any more than you have to.

So again, unless there's some piece to this particular puzzle that someone has yet to share, I can't see how to get from here to what you are saying. Without this missing piece, it goes against established software engineering practice to the point of absurdity. If you'd care to share your sources on this information I would actually be interested in reading it. Otherwise, it's rather easy to assume your quick dismissal and thinly veiled insults are merely an attempt to hide the fact you're talking out of your arse. You can post them here, PM them to me, send up smoke signals, whatever... If you get them to me, I'll read them as I have time, and If they seem to be from credible sources and fill in the missing mystery info that makes this all come together, I'm happy to admit I was in error earlier. If you have some lame excuse why you can't produce anything, or you mysteriously stop posting in this thread, then I will have to assume you're simply full of it. I'm hoping for the former, but regrettably expecting the latter.
    12-08-08 01:03 AM
    That's still not making sense -- and I'm not saying it's wrong because it doesn't make sense to me I might add, as I did say something to the effect of "unless there's some part of the equation I'm missing" -- because it just defies all good software engineering practice.

On an embedded platform you have very finite and fixed resources, so it would not make any sense at all to build a system where every installed program is always loaded into memory. It would make considerably MORE sense to not only load just the apps you are running, but also do demand loading like Linux does, and only load the parts of the app you're using. Giving up a little performance in order to conserve limited resources. Even if you have a garbage collector in the JVM, you don't rely on it any more than you have to.

So again, unless there's some piece to this particular puzzle that someone has yet to share, I can't see how to get from here to what you are saying. Without this missing piece, it goes against established software engineering practice to the point of absurdity. If you'd care to share your sources on this information I would actually be interested in reading it. Otherwise, it's rather easy to assume your quick dismissal and thinly veiled insults are merely an attempt to hide the fact you're talking out of your arse. You can post them here, PM them to me, send up smoke signals, whatever... If you get them to me, I'll read them as I have time, and If they seem to be from credible sources and fill in the missing mystery info that makes this all come together, I'm happy to admit I was in error earlier. If you have some lame excuse why you can't produce anything, or you mysteriously stop posting in this thread, then I will have to assume you're simply full of it. I'm hoping for the former, but regrettably expecting the latter.
    I tell you what. Forget what I'm saying and experience it for yourself. Set your camera to save pics to the system memory (not the onboard 1GB of user memory) and start taking pics until you've filled up the main 128MB of memory. Then tell me what the status of your phone is. Tell me if it's dragging its *** or if you even experience loss of message/past calendar data in certain situations. Do that and then come back here and we'll see who's had a revelation.

The RIM Java OS is not a miracle. It still uses the system memory to save it's work as it does it for swapfile purposes (in a matter of speaking). It still depends upon having as much free system memory as possible to work. When you open apps, the system memory actually drops as you run those apps. Use the Browser and anything that comes in as data is saved in the cache, which again is on the system memory partition... it all adds up and slows down the device. Like I said, experience it for yourself. "Sometimes you have to burn your hand in the fire to be sure it's real."
    12-08-08 01:43 AM

read civic's post ;D

the storage acts much more like ram then the ram does on a BB

its like how this OS works.. don't compare the ram/storage to a PC ram.. its differen't
    12-08-08 01:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD