Hey guys,

I know we heard a few months ago the rumor about the Storm 2 possibly coming out in September of this year. I remember a lot of people being upset that they were talking about a Storm 2 before they fixed the Storm 1 OS issues. I also remember reading in the forums that most people here in Crackberry didn't believe that there was a possibility of the phone being released this year. I gotta say though, seeing the Storm 2 this early has me feeling like September is plausible. How do you guys feel about the Storm 2 being released months before the Storm's 1st birthday and with virtually no OS support from Verizon in the meantime (this is obviously excluding the Crackberry leaks)???
    05-15-09 06:54 AM
    Two words pissed off. I just got my storm and knowing its going to be replaced 5 months after I bought it makes me think twice about buying the next "best" phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 07:06 AM
    A lot of devices are like this, including the iPhone, and no one is going to force you to upgrade.
    05-15-09 07:13 AM
    A lot of devices are like this, including the iPhone, and no one is going to force you to upgrade.
    Well, if the Storm 2 releases in September, it's release would be 9.5 months after the release of the first gen Storm. The first gen iphone was released in June 07, the second gen iphone was released July 08...thats 13 months later and almost a full 4 months ahead of what the rumored release date is for the Storm 2. My question isn't really aimed at whether people will upgrade or not, it's more of a "how do you feel?" (about VZW doing this without fixing the bugs in .75--officially mind you). The reason I'm asking this is because the shelf life of the Storm is reduced as a result of the Storm 2 being released.

I mean, think about it...if you're in the market for a touchscreen device like the Storm, what's the incentive behind buying the first gen Storm if the second gen is sitting right next to it? Kinda makes me feel like RIM is using the Storm as a sacrificial lamb so to speak...
    Last edited by Grammar Police; 05-15-09 at 07:29 AM.
    05-15-09 07:26 AM
    I dont mind that another Storm will be released my real issue is the OS. I am one of the few people that actually still has the .75 OS but if verizon keeps pushing back the OS update then i will have to start using the leaks...

The fact that Storm 2 is going to be released possibliy in Sept doesnt really matter. Everyone knows that as soon as something is released the next best thing is sure to follow. This happens with laptops, cars, cell phone, etc…..

And people always want the next best thing.
    05-15-09 07:47 AM
    To be honest it makes me feel pissed off. Don't get me wrong I love the Storm 1 BUT when Verizon has not released a new OS and will not approve a new one I feel like the have abandoned the storm 1. It feels like to me they are going to release the storm 2 and forget the storm 1 even happened. I hope they get these bugs addressed and soon.
    05-15-09 07:57 AM
    I'm thinking it could probably be a revision(not sure if this is the right word).......It looks like they just fixed the physical/design flaws with the storm. The bb key/send/hang up/return keys now won't get stuck or pop out as easy if any like they do with the current storm.....prob fixed the screen gap and put a end to the dust issue...just a few examples. To me it looks like rims trying to stick with making this there "iphone" as there following in apples steps with keeping the design the same and making minor improvements. Also wasn't something a while ago saying that storm 2 was comming with a 5.x camera.....I could of swore in the pic it showed 3.2, I know its just a sample and all could change.

05-15-09 08:19 AM
    You could be onto something there, with the revision notion.

Engadget are saying that there must be changes under the hood, because they're hearing it runs smoother - but what if it is just running a newer version of the OS?

It makes sense to change the Storm's form, since, forgetting dust and key breakage, the all in one buttons and screen will surely be easier to manufacture and assemble.

And consider this one, perhaps Verizon are holding off on a newer OS because they know that this is coming, and they might be able to convince the gadget/mobile sites to review this as an all new phone. A great many people that ignored the Storm because of the bad press are not going to change their minds because they hear of an OS revision, but a glowing review of an 'all new' product would be likely to give them pause.
    05-15-09 08:42 AM
    I hear that the storm 2 will launch in July, have a liquid crystal screen and have wifi. The OS will be 5.xx.
    05-15-09 08:53 AM
    Doesnt bother me a bit that a new one could come out soon. knew this going in. People buy cars every year knowning that the new model is just around the corner, however im still waiting on the new Pacer.
    05-15-09 08:57 AM
    i heard the new storm 2 will solve global warming, cure cancer, and may even put an end to world poverty...

tbh, i'll just settle with a way to disable the click screen i can type WAY faster on an iphone like screen, than the click screen on the storm...
    05-15-09 09:03 AM
    To be honest it makes me feel pissed off. Don't get me wrong I love the Storm 1 BUT when Verizon has not released a new OS and will not approve a new one I feel like the have abandoned the storm 1. It feels like to me they are going to release the storm 2 and forget the storm 1 even happened. I hope they get these bugs addressed and soon.
    Verizon did the same thing with my last Windows Mobile phone, I had to upgrade phones to get the newest WinMobile OS. Ive been saying for months that its possible that Verizon will offer a new OS on the Storm 2 in order to sell it.
    05-15-09 09:06 AM
    I sent a bunch of the screenshots of the storm 2 to my friends and I also told them that I understand that it may be frustrating hearing about another storm when verizon has not released an Os update but you can't blame RIM for moving forward and progressing the device. Maybe verizon screwing everybody over is a good thing because it may give them a reason to give all the storm 1 buyers a considerable discount on the new hardware. So look at it like this. RIM has released the Os updates to the carriers and some of them like bell and Vodafone have pushed it to the public. Be mad at verizon not RIM. They are doing there part in listeninne request of the consumer and making better devices.

05-15-09 09:11 AM
    if I happened to "break" my storm one after the second generation comes out do you think that for the fifty bucks that it would cost to replace it I would get a second generation storm?

05-15-09 09:39 AM
    believe it or not I just I figured I would share this with everyone. Guess we will see if this guy is legit or not:

Steve @ May 15th 2009 1:48AM
    I have used the Storm 2 myself and I can confirm the following:

The buttons are not touch-sensitive. They are flush, but can be pressed just like a normal button.
    The radio is CDMA 1xRTT/EVDO with Quad-band GSM functionality.
    The prototype I was using ran BlackBerry OS 5.0.
    Wi-Fi IS included.
    Under that little property of RIM sticker on the back, you'll find a VZW logo.
    The screen has multiple "press points", so speed typing is finally a possibility.
    The screen is far easier to push than the original 9530 and has much less travel.
    Improved Media application, with multitouch.

All the prototypes I've seen appear to be made in Canada unlike the later Storm I's which are manufactured in Hungary.
    05-15-09 09:44 AM
    If the Storm 2 will come in September, I cannot upgrade my contract. Cause I only with my Storm 9 months.

I think, at the end of the contract, I will drop Storm then go for 8520 or even new device.

I have no confident to go on the next Storm anymore.
    05-15-09 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD