I just want to make it clear that this is just speculation and what I'm bringing up has a good chance of being false.

However, I've noticed some hints to a new 4.8 OS coming out soon. I was on Howard Forums, and in a recent post about .109, someone said they talked to a Verizon rep in customer service and they said a new OS 4.8 should be coming out early March. I know they usually don't know much but apparently they sounded pretty confident. Also, I remember Crucial saying something a few months ago about this OS but I think he made it pretty clear it would be aimed for a second generation device and not for this Storm. It was also very early in development so I'm sure it had several bugs.

I feel like a new OS would be refreshing and would be really good for RIM since phones like the G1, Iphone, and upcoming Pre (in my opinion) all have a smoother interface. I think the Storm's UI has gotten much better over time with the latest .109 leaked beta and I'm sure whatever they have now (.121 I believe?) is even better. I still doubt they have things like flick scrolling and the media picture viewer is still extremely slow at this point. Several things just look really fake to me like the sliding effect when going through pictures. I hate to compare it to the iphone because I like the Storm better but it just benefits a lot from using its GPU and you can tell when seeing how it navigates through menus, pictures, icons, etc.

I'm pretty sure the Storm doesn't have a dedicated GPU from what I've heard but if it's possible to use whatever it has on that qualcomm processor to provide flick scrolling, and smoother transitions, it would really benefit from it in the eyes of its users.

I'm not going anywhere and will continue to support the Storm. Despite these things, I love my phone and still look forward to how 4.7 will improve. But if there's a 4.8 OS that fixes these things I brought up, that would be great! I will love the Storm even more and I think a lot of naysayers would actually like it too. I gotta say, that Palm Pre is looking very pleasing to the eye. I know the Blackberry is meant more for business savy users but they can still benefit from a better UI. It doesn't HAVE to be this basic.
    02-24-09 06:06 PM
    I hope its coming out soon! I need an os that doesnt lag like my current .75 os
    02-24-09 06:12 PM
    No, I never said anything about a 4.8 OS other than it's BS! Just look at the problems with 4.7. They surely aren't about to introduce a brand new OS to a device that doesn't function as it should. When this was mentioned before I said it wasn't happening.
    02-24-09 06:12 PM
    Oh sorry Crucial i must've misunderstood you then. Well there you go guys, nothing else is coming then. We can still hope 4.7 will continue to improve where it fails, which I'm sure it will in many ways. I'm really curious as to how far they've gotten.

Another reason why I had a feeling a new OS was coming out is because you (Crucial) recently said the latest OS beta for 4.7 will make the Storm act as it was intended to from the beginning. I thought maybe a new OS was going to do that haha.
    02-24-09 06:19 PM
    I don't see why not...

Perhaps this is why we have yet to see an official Plazmic release for 4.7?

Just speculation.
    02-24-09 06:21 PM
    Oh sorry Crucial i must've misunderstood you then. Well there you go guys, nothing else is coming then. We can still hope 4.7 will continue to improve where it fails, which I'm sure it will in many ways. I'm really curious as to how far they've gotten.

Another reason why I had a feeling a new OS was coming out is because you (Crucial) recently said the latest OS beta for 4.7 will make the Storm act as it was intended to from the beginning. I thought maybe a new OS was going to do that haha.
    No problem Urban. I just saw the PM. I apologize.
    02-24-09 06:23 PM
    They surely aren't about to introduce a brand new OS to a device that doesn't function as it should.
    Right, which is why I felt RIM wanted to start from scratch with a new OS. Obviously though, it's not that easy and it would be easier for them to just continue developing the current OS.

My main concern now is the drawbacks the hardware will have on the phone improving. The 2 main ones are the integrated GPU (from what I've heard) and the inability to play 2 sounds at once but those can be discussed in that other thread about the hardware limitations.
    02-24-09 06:24 PM
    No problem Urban. I just saw the PM. I apologize.
    Nooo problem, I'm sure you're busy answering several questions anyways.
    02-24-09 06:25 PM
    One can always dream! :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 06:45 PM
    Crucial's word is law as far as I'm concerned. Also, 4.8 wouldn't make much sense to me; with BES 5.0 coming out I'd think that they would, if anything, be looking to move both the server and handheld devices to 5.0 in tandem. But again, that's just a logical thought on how I'd release software if I was running the show at RIM, which I'm very obviously not.
    02-24-09 07:25 PM
    I completely agree with your post and see where you are coming from. I for one love the ease of operation and smoothness of the iPhone. The development of that OS is impeccable, but I wish the storm was developed with something similiar. Hate to say it, but the storm OS is fairly poor considering how much the unit cost to make and such. I dont know, just my 2 cents.
    02-24-09 07:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD