ok first of all the storm on att is poopies however i noticed that yesterday i was running on verizon, it said ixev up top, and it also had no carrier branding up top, i thought this was strange. is there any way to make this thing run better pick up a better signal or something, cause i mean with my bold sitting in the same location picks up 3g but the storm gets barely EDGE but mostly edge. just wondering if anybody else has seen theres run on verizon
    05-30-09 01:34 PM
    do you have it set to only GSM? What OS are you on?
    05-30-09 01:39 PM
    im on .148 but i was on global, but even still i have a gsm simcard
    05-30-09 01:41 PM
    sooo im not really caring y it went to 1xev my main concern is speeding it up any thoughts
    05-30-09 02:57 PM
    sooo im not really caring y it went to 1xev my main concern is speeding it up any thoughts
    have you optimized your memory yet? How many apps, themes, etc are you running? How much memory do you have available? Also, what are you comparing it to that makes it so slow.
    05-30-09 03:04 PM
    its the connection thats slow the phone runs fast, im comparing it to the 3g connection i have on my bold, and even the edge that i had on my 8820. compared to those 2 devices my data speed is horrible. ie: internet, blackberry app store
    05-30-09 03:18 PM
    lol i thought people would be all over this one
    05-30-09 05:45 PM
    I always thought the difference between 1xev and 1XEV had NOTHING to do with speed of the connection.

I believe 1XEV means you are connected to BIS; 1xev means you are NOT connected to BIS (voice calls only).

EDIT: try dialing *228 and pick option 2 (while connected to Verizon network), this will update your PRL. It could be you're getting a borderline connection on VZW and it can't connect to the data network.
    Last edited by Dave12308; 05-30-09 at 06:50 PM.
    05-30-09 06:45 PM
    I always thought the difference between 1xev and 1XEV had NOTHING to do with speed of the connection.

I believe 1XEV means you are connected to BIS; 1xev means you are NOT connected to BIS (voice calls only).

EDIT: try dialing *228 and pick option 2 (while connected to Verizon network), this will update your PRL. It could be you're getting a borderline connection on VZW and it can't connect to the data network.
    You don't get it. The OP IS WITH AT&T. So, when his Storm connects to it, IT WON'T BE 3G. It'll be EDGE, which is SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW. The Storm's 3G GSM capabilities are limited to the Euro frequency of HSDPA and in the US it can only do EVDO Rev.A on CDMA carriers... which AT&T is not.
    05-30-09 08:52 PM
    You don't get it. The OP IS WITH AT&T. So, when his Storm connects to it, IT WON'T BE 3G. It'll be EDGE, which is SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW. The Storm's 3G GSM capabilities are limited to the Euro frequency of HSDPA and in the US it can only do EVDO Rev.A on CDMA carriers... which AT&T is not.

thanks civic. You so smart
    05-30-09 08:54 PM
    neither of you get it. im on att in california, and for some reason it connected to 1xev
    05-30-09 10:37 PM
    neither of you get it. im on att in california, and for some reason it connected to 1xev
    Actually you don't get it. TAKE IT OFF GLOBAL. If you leave it on Global, it tries to attach to Verizon network first because XEV is priority set under Global. Set it to GSM. (Like it was suggested above). And don't expect it to be quick because all you'll have is 2G because of what I said above.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 10:49 PM
    Actually you don't get it. TAKE IT OFF GLOBAL. If you leave it on Global, it tries to attach to Verizon network first because XEV is priority set under Global. Set it to GSM. (Like it was suggested above). And don't expect it to be quick because all you'll have is 2G because of what I said above.

EDGE should be plenty fast for most, if not all, apps. Where 3G is saturated on ATT EDGE can actually be faster at times. But if 3G near you is not saturated, it will be very fast; similar to 1XEV for VZ
    05-30-09 10:53 PM
    Actually you don't get it. TAKE IT OFF GLOBAL. If you leave it on Global, it tries to attach to Verizon network first because XEV is priority set under Global. Set it to GSM. (Like it was suggested above).

thats what I tried to tell him.
    05-30-09 10:56 PM
    Unfortunately after version .90, the GSM radio code got bad and many ATT & Tmo people have the EDGE/edge issue. What most do is use the .90 radio code in whatever version they are using. Do a search for Lyricidal's Swap A Radio tool.

EDIT: I dug it up for you....

http://www.theiexplorers.com/bb/Swap-A-Radio.rar
    05-30-09 11:00 PM
    Not really the case here pk. He keeps hopping on VZW's towers is the problem because he's on Global. What people don't get is that the phone will hop on the CDMA network, even if a provisioned account doesn't exist. Editing the phone number in CDMA programming and wiping out the Home SID can help to keep this from happening, but it's easier and safer to just set radio to GSM instead. It'll also save some battery life as well doing this.

05-30-09 11:28 PM
    Not really the case here pk. He keeps hopping on VZW's towers is the problem because he's on Global. What people don't get is that the phone will hop on the CDMA network, even if a provisioned account doesn't exist. Editing the phone number in CDMA programming and wiping out the Home SID can help to keep this from happening, but it's easier and safer to just set radio to GSM instead. It'll also save some battery life as well doing this.

isnt that part of setting up a unlocked storm on a GSM carrier anyways? I sure would of thought that if you were on a GSM carrier then you would set it to only GSM. Makes sense to me.
    05-31-09 01:55 AM
    no i understand i just thought that with a gsm only sim card it was odd that it was on 1xev. i changed the settings already even before i posted this so i know whats up just didnt think it was possible to pick up cdma with an att sim card, trust me i knew what i was doing just thought it was odd.
    05-31-09 03:24 AM
    after i looked at mobile network options i changed it but i did that before i even posted
    05-31-09 03:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD