I noticed that my memory sits at around 27 to 32mb when I have it locked but seems to increase during usage times on os .103, could it be that rim is making some sort of low memory state for the upcoming legit os build? Anyone else come across this? So far since I upgraded to the new os this has happened everytime, At first I thought it was just another memory killer like the others but strangely after about 5 minutes of use I detect the memory slowly increasing.
    02-14-09 10:19 AM
    No, it just means that the garbage collector kicks in while the phone is in an idle state. ...
    02-14-09 10:26 AM
    To the guy who builds computers. Do you ever watch the virtual memory pool on a PC? Does it cause the available HD space to fluctuate if set to dynamic? Yes, of course it does. Same type of scenario here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 10:58 AM

To the guy who builds computers. Do you ever watch the virtual memory pool on a PC? Does it cause the available HD space to fluctuate if set to dynamic? Yes, of course it does. Same type of scenario here.

Yea, that makes sense, prolly could have answered my own question with that lol, I guess I just didn't realize just how these smartphones are starting to run so much like pc's. But thanks for the feedback.
    02-14-09 11:03 AM
    When about 50 people ask almost identical questions a day, it's only a matter of time before it wears thin.
    The purpose of these forums is to ask questions, provide what answers we have and generally help each other.... if it wears thin.... don't respond. If you have no interest or insight in a thread.... click on another... pretty simple. you often have something quite valuable to say but your first post in this thread really didn't help anyone.

to the op... different builds seem to do a better job at using and freeing memory than others... it seems clear that they are working on that. for me the jury is still out on that issue in .103. but what seems different is that there APPEARS to be less performance degradation when the memory does get really low. I have been testing this and have found that it has to get below about 7 meg before i notice a great decrease in performance.
    02-14-09 11:19 AM
    The purpose of these forums is to ask questions, provide what answers we have and generally help each other.... if it wears thin.... don't respond. If you have no interest or insight in a thread.... click on another... pretty simple. you often have something quite valuable to say but your first post in this thread really didn't help anyone.

to the op... different builds seem to do a better job at using and freeing memory than others... it seems clear that they are working on that. for me the jury is still out on that issue in .103. but what seems different is that there APPEARS to be less performance degradation when the memory does get really low. I have been testing this and have found that it has to get below about 7 meg before i notice a great decrease in performance.
    damn, it has gotten that low for you? The lowest I have noticed is about 22.7mb, then it starts rising again and usually halts at about 35 or so (although some instances I have noticed it go all the way up to 42) Unlike you however I have noticed the apps and phone in general begins to run slighly lagged once it gets to about 25mb, I start seeing the annoying hourglass a bunch and respond time after clicking tends to take a sec. I really hope these issues are being worked on.
    02-14-09 11:24 AM
    I had to reeeeeaaaallly push it to get it there (don't think i could do it if it wasn't intentional).... in other builds... after about 25 meg like you mentioned... the accelerometer and other functions got so slow the phone was nearly unusable without reboot. with this build it worked much better till passing the 10 mark... slower yes but functional.
    02-14-09 11:28 AM
    yea, I will say that this os is a far more impressive step forward than .99, I had so many bugs with that thing.
    02-14-09 11:36 AM
    why do I never have more than 25 megs free?

running .103 and have no apps open at all
    02-14-09 01:17 PM

what apps do you have installed... wallpapers... ringtones... themes...

do you run viigo or anything like it?

also... don't get too obsessed with the number... functionality is the issue...

without knowing exactly what is installed on your phone no one can answer your question
    Last edited by DavidDBlackwell; 02-14-09 at 01:24 PM.
    02-14-09 01:21 PM

sadly being that this is still just another beta you may have to occasionally do a battery pull, another thing that may be causing the problem is that I have noticed these new themes drain your phones resources quite badly. I had a few in and as soon as I removed them my normal fluctuation of memory was back to between 27 and 35mb.
    02-14-09 01:27 PM
    Honestly I never said memory leak first off, second I never freaked out about losing memory, i have read enough and learned enough that I know it happens, apps do that. I was merely asking If anyone noticed it gradually returning on .103 because this is the only build I have seen that happen on so far. As for this arguement with bigman, I am gonna (no pun intened) go ahead and be the bigman and just let it go, He appears to have alot going on with his new found wife, drug abuse problem ect. He does not need anymore stress.
    02-14-09 02:21 PM
    With 3rd party aps how do they drain available memory unless you have them open?
    Thanks in advance. Unless it is a pot shot

02-14-09 02:23 PM
    anyone else think this gets a bit like talk radio from time to time? we all know we are getting riled... we know we shouldn't get riled.... know we aught to just go ahead and keep our mouths shut.... yet..... much to the delight of the host and sponsors.... the calls pour in..

now... if you wipe your phone... turn off your radio turn the back light down to 10% and turn off your gps.... i can guarantee you will have excellent memory and very long battery life...

of course it would only be a gently glowing paperweight but hey... no leaks or drains.
    02-14-09 02:29 PM
    With 3rd party aps how do they drain available memory unless you have them open?
    Thanks in advance. Unless it is a pot shot

some apps run and dl in the background...
    also.... the app itself is loaded into memory... is it not?
    Last edited by DavidDBlackwell; 02-14-09 at 02:33 PM.
    02-14-09 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD