This is getting really old. I've completely wiped my device multiple times and tried every setting and suggestion to stop it from dimming automatically when I turn it horizontally. NOTHING WORKS! I don't want people saying just turn down the backlight and live with it, or it's supposed to be that way. It's not supposed to work this way when I have the auto dim feature set to OFF then it should be OFF and I should be able to choose whatever brightness I want for my backlight.
    11-02-09 09:39 AM
    It's not supposed to be that way, but it IS a bug in 5.0. As of right now, there is no fix, and I don't think there will be one until a different build if RIM is aware of it and want to fix it (who knows, maybe it's supposed to be that way I don't work for them lol). Anyways, your backlight settings won't change it/fix it. You really do just have to live with it or move to an early leaked build. Sorry
    11-02-09 09:48 AM
    If you don't mind the screen being a little dimmer then just turn auto dim on. This will at least keep the phone at one constant brightness level, instead of constantly switching back and forth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-09 10:57 AM
    Never believe it, but all of a sudden after another completely downgrade and upgrade to OS 5 so far no horizontal dimming...I'm completely confused.
    11-02-09 11:37 AM
    This is getting really old. I've completely wiped my device multiple times and tried every setting and suggestion to stop it from dimming automatically when I turn it horizontally. NOTHING WORKS! I don't want people saying just turn down the backlight and live with it, or it's supposed to be that way. It's not supposed to work this way when I have the auto dim feature set to OFF then it should be OFF and I should be able to choose whatever brightness I want for my backlight.

I have the same problem on my storm after upgrading to .328... But it only randomly does it. Sometimes it happens when I start the browser and sometimes it happens when I turn it from portrait to landscape. The only way I can get it to be bright again is to hold it in portrait view and push the power button until it goes to the homescreen, I then hold the power button until it either brightens back up or it shows the box telling me that it's about to turn off and it will power up the next time at 7:00am. Before it turns off, I push the power button again to cancel the power-off and it is bright again for as long as I'm using it. Sometimes the next time I use it, it's still bright. Other times, I have to do it again. It isn't that hard of a fix but it's still a PITA. Now if only there was a work around as easy as this for my headphone jack not working...
    11-02-09 02:04 PM
    Of you keep one finger on the screen and turn in to landscape it won't dim

11-02-09 02:17 PM
    Turn screen brightness up high. Turn auto dim on and it works perfect. Its actually nice not having a bright screen blind you in a dark room.

11-02-09 03:28 PM
    Never believe it, but all of a sudden after another completely downgrade and upgrade to OS 5 so far no horizontal dimming...I'm completely confused.
    It'll be coming back. It apparently likes to be intermittent, so it will disappear for awhile but come back a few hours later.
    11-02-09 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD