This is the 4th time in the past 24 hours a thread has been started with the exact same question. I work for VZW in a call center and know this will be the final solution (an easy one too).

Your phone is set up for 1XEV while in the U.S. If your phone is in a low signal area and it loses the 1XEV, since the default setting is "GLOBAL", and your SIM card is not activated out of the box, it couldn't get on a GSM network, so therefore you are getting the "SIM Card Rejected" message. The reason the battery pull works sometimes, but comes back is because when you rebooted, your phone found 1X or 1XEV, until the next time it can't find signal (you get the cycle now).

So, simple solution:

1. Manage Connections
    2. Select "Mobile Network Options"
    3. Network Technology: Change to 1XEV
    4. Save

You won't get SIM Card rejected.

Last edited by Vulcan500Rider; 12-25-08 at 07:35 PM.
    12-25-08 07:33 PM
    Mine literally won't let me change it ti 1XEV although I don't have problems. Does this mean my sim was activated?
    12-25-08 07:36 PM
    Moved to How to, FAQ & Tips forum.
    12-25-08 07:38 PM
    I removed my sim card and stored away. Have a question thoe in all travels in the us mostly between Wi. and Nc. theres couple spots were i have the little triangle (roaming) will my sim card fix that
    12-25-08 07:52 PM
    I removed my sim card and stored away. Have a question thoe in all travels in the us mostly between Wi. and Nc. theres couple spots were i have the little triangle (roaming) will my sim card fix that
    Your SIM card in the Storm was only for overseas GSM travel with the Storm. It was never intended to be unlocked to work on domestic GSM networks such as AT&T.
    12-25-08 08:14 PM
    how can i unlock black berry storm ?
    12-26-08 09:30 AM
    Thanks for the irrelevant question.

To the OP, thanks for the tip. That happened to me once while in downtown DC, I made your recommended changes.
    12-26-08 10:00 AM
    many people have done this and still get the error

i personally removed the SIM and took a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol to the contacts. the sim was covered in marks and this really cleaned it up and i never saw the error message again.
    12-26-08 11:58 AM
    This is the 4th time in the past 24 hours a thread has been started with the exact same question. I work for VZW in a call center and know this will be the final solution (an easy one too).

Your phone is set up for 1XEV while in the U.S. If your phone is in a low signal area and it loses the 1XEV, since the default setting is "GLOBAL", and your SIM card is not activated out of the box, it couldn't get on a GSM network, so therefore you are getting the "SIM Card Rejected" message. The reason the battery pull works sometimes, but comes back is because when you rebooted, your phone found 1X or 1XEV, until the next time it can't find signal (you get the cycle now).

So, simple solution:

1. Manage Connections
    2. Select "Mobile Network Options"
    3. Network Technology: Change to 1XEV
    4. Save

You won't get SIM Card rejected.

So i get what ur saying about changing it to 1XEV but if i lose NORMAL signal will it bump into GSM for a better signal? or does GSM only work when ur over seas?
    12-26-08 10:03 PM
    I have a question that is semi-related. When I go into >advanced options>sim card I get a message stating that there is no valid sim card. Is this a problem with the sim not being detected or is that a consequence of not having the sim card unlocked by Verizon?
    12-26-08 10:13 PM
    I now have SIM card Rejected on the top line of my screen.

I also have 4 bars and I show 1XEV.

The solution Vulcan posted is not correct.
    12-26-08 10:37 PM
    I've had the option set to 1XEV since the first week I had the phone, this problem still occurs for me once in awhile. Maybe once a week or less?
    12-26-08 11:04 PM
    Hmm...

Well I had this problem everytime I walk into a big store (Wal-mart, etc..)

I would just turn it off and then turn it on and it would go away.

I've done this solution so we'll see if it works the next time I go in.

Thank you though for your tip. Much appreciated.
    12-27-08 09:24 PM
    Called Verizon with this problem today. Had me pull the battery to remove the error. If it works you probably saved me at least two more calls.
    Crossing my fingers
    Thanks
    Last edited by elevdude; 12-27-08 at 10:16 PM.
    12-27-08 10:13 PM
    had that problem before when I was running .76 did a battery pull then i updated and removed sim from my storm and haven't seen sim card rejected since.

I am running .85 unlocked without a sim card.
    12-28-08 01:48 PM
    I tried it and it seems to be working..thanks for the update..appreciate a VZW rep. helping out!
    12-28-08 02:59 PM
    I now have SIM card Rejected on the top line of my screen.

I also have 4 bars and I show 1XEV.

The solution Vulcan posted is not correct.
    You may show 1X on your screen, but did you follow my instructions to force your phone only on the 1XEV? No...please read the instructions over again and you'll be successful at this. Post screen shots with Capture It to show you have it forced on 1XEV on your phone per instruction and that you're still getting SIM Card Rejected.
    12-29-08 07:26 AM
    I tried it and it seems to be working..thanks for the update..appreciate a VZW rep. helping out!
    My pleasure, glad it worked for you.
    12-29-08 07:27 AM
    I also had the "SIM Card Rejected" at the top of my phone. I called Verizon CS. They told me to pull the battery and remove and reinstall the SIM Card. I couldn't grab that SIM Card at all to pull it. I took it into a store and the CS lady did not want to pull the SIM Card. She said that wasn't gonna fix the problem. She called CS on the phone and he wanted me to do the same thing, pull the battery and remove and reinstall the SIM Card. I still couldn't grab that SIM Card, so I put the lady on the phone with the CS guy. He talked to her and she pulled the SIM Card out and reinstalled it. The SIM Card Rejected icon left and it has not been back on since. To my knowledge, nothing was changed in the settings. The guy from CS that I talked to told me that this was a problem that BB was having with the OS and that they were working on it. That's all I know.
    12-29-08 10:57 AM
    Well this worked for me, Thanks for the tip!
    12-29-08 08:50 PM
    I followed the instructions listed to remove the error and all looked to be fine until I entered a area with low to no reception. My phone lost it's signal completely. I got the call lost screen. I reset my phone back to global, then pulled the battery to reset the phone. Once I did this I was able to gain my signal back. I never had this problem in that area until I made the change. Does this change do something to the network switching of the phone?
    12-29-08 10:03 PM
    It only happened when i had low signal on the 8th floor at my job when i was taking a dump in the restroom lol.... trying to text and crackberry.

I was shocked to get this message I didn't do a battery pull, i just shut down the unit and restarted the unit and i haven't gotten the sim card rejection sign on my phone ever since.

When i got my phone it is was set default at Global.

Its pretty rare to get a bad signal in Southern California around Greater Los Angeles Area where i live.
    12-30-08 01:32 AM
    I spoke to soon. The "SIM Card Rejected" icon popped back up yesterday. I have no idea.
    12-30-08 07:44 AM
    Now to think of it this can be a software bug since it doesn't happen often and it does happen to a few people sometimes. Maybe this would be fixed in later upgrades on the storm?

Just a theory
    12-31-08 03:55 AM
    I recently just encountered this problem. But all I did to fix it was turn my phone off and turned it back on.
    12-31-08 09:39 PM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD