Since this is the first ever touch screen blackberry, will the blackberry software/applications work or will most of it have to be re-written? Can any programmers shed any light on that?
    09-25-08 03:04 PM
    I am pretty sure they will have to most likely be modified, as a new SDK will have to be released. We can probably expect news at the RIM developer conference.
    09-25-08 03:08 PM
    I am pretty sure they will have to most likely be modified, as a new SDK will have to be released. We can probably expect news at the RIM developer conference.
    Cool...I know it's next month, but when exactly is the conference? I am anxious to see if this phone will get developers attention, like the iphone did. If it does, I really look forward to the application that may come about.
    09-25-08 03:11 PM
    starts October 20th for 2 and a half days in Santa Clara, California

BlackBerry Developer Conference 2008
    09-25-08 03:15 PM
    Well, Plazmic already released a new CDK, although it's not an SDK but at least they're already starting to put out things that are supporting the new OSes and devices.
    09-25-08 05:17 PM
    I imagine apps with have to call on the touch screen as the input device instead of the trackball so a minor update will need to be made to apps so the user can interface with the app. Unless the touch screen translates the presses to emulate trackball use then I don't think anything will need to be done for us to use existing apps with the touchscreen model(s).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-08 01:32 AM
    I imagine apps with have to call on the touch screen as the input device instead of the trackball so a minor update will need to be made to apps so the user can interface with the app. Unless the touch screen translates the presses to emulate trackball use then I don't think anything will need to be done for us to use existing apps with the touchscreen model(s).

it's quite possible that they wont have to do anything at all. you talk about emulation of the trackball, but the touch screen and trackball essentially do the same thing, map out a set of x,y coordinates and pass that data along to the OS/program. unless it's a wierd app/implementation, the OS should be interpereting the x,y location and passing that x/y location on to the application. now if there are differences in the 4.7 OS that cause problems with older programs, that's an entirely separate issue.
    09-29-08 09:39 AM
    this is posted on the crackberry.com main page... read on for info!!

BlackBerry Storm Partner Announcement

The upcoming BlackBerry Storm is the first touch screen BlackBerry smartphone from Research In Motion and it builds upon a variety of existing BlackBerry features and capabilities to produce a truly compelling touch experience. With the BlackBerry Storm, RIM will introduce a version of software (v4.7) that delivers a new set of APIs and capabilities for third party developers including:

1) Enhancements to the existing RIM User Interface APIs to provide support for touch and gestures including proper handling of multi-touch events.
    2) Support for MIDP applications that leverage touch.
    3) Virtual keyboard APIs
    4) Enhanced and open GPS APIs on all networks

In addition to the new API capabilities, your Browser-based applications will build upon the browser capabilities released in v4.6.0 including:

For third party developers, one of the unique features of the BlackBerry Storm is its compatibility mode which provides an operating environment for existing 3rd party applications that are not implemented to support touch. This feature will automatically convert the touch events into existing trackball events. When an application is executing in compatibility mode, a virtual keyboard will be shown at all times for text input to mimic the physical keyboard on previous devices and will only support portrait mode.

Improved web page rendering including:

AJAX
    XMLHttpRequest
    JavaScript 1.5
    CSS 2.1
    DOM L2 (including Core, HTML, Style, Events)
    HTML 4.01 (including Forms, Maps, Tables, Frames, Objects)
    Improved Native Attachment Download Support for downloading files via the browser
    Key Features

Screen Resolution: 480360
    Virtual Keyboard: SureType (Portrait Mode) and Full Keyboard (Landscape Mode)
    Networking: Global network support (2G/3G)
    Memory: Embedded Memory
    For all BlackBerry Alliance partners, RIM will be providing access to developer documentation, the BlackBerry Java Development Environment (JDE) v4.7 and the BlackBerry Storm simulator in October to enable development and testing of your applications on this new and compelling smartphone.
    09-29-08 09:55 AM
    Can they officially announce the thing now... I don't know what they are waiting for.
    09-29-08 09:59 AM
    09-29-08 11:34 AM
    uhhhh doooood.

did you not see my post just up a few from yours? LOL... it's also on the crackberry main page...

it's monday, i'll give you a pass.
    09-29-08 11:37 AM
    so will the app store be independent of verizon?
    09-29-08 12:10 PM
    so will the app store be independent of verizon?
    Yep, the app store will be from RIM. Wish I could tell more, but it's going to be wonderful. About time honestly.
    09-29-08 12:52 PM
    CX, what would CB be without you?

09-29-08 01:01 PM
    Yep, the app store will be from RIM. Wish I could tell more, but it's going to be wonderful. About time honestly.
    That is great to hear! Thanks Crucial...I can't wait to see what the app store will feature and look like
    09-29-08 01:35 PM
    Will there be some free stuff on there also or do I need to continue trading my bug discoveries for software tokens?

I really hope the app store is not just a ported version of their mobile site they have now. That would blow just a little.
    09-29-08 02:07 PM
    Will there be some free stuff on there also or do I need to continue trading my bug discoveries for software tokens?

I really hope the app store is not just a ported version of their mobile site they have now. That would blow just a little.
    haha. C'mon Civic, give em a little more credit than that.
    09-29-08 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD