05-18-09 09:16 AM
67 123
tools
    funny, last I looked, it wasn't a matter of verizon having their nose up in the air and not being willing to take the iphone, it's the fact that it's a GSM device not a CDMA device.....so.....
    04-07-09 03:18 PM
    funny, last I looked, it wasn't a matter of verizon having their nose up in the air and not being willing to take the iphone, it's the fact that it's a GSM device not a CDMA device.....so.....
    Had Verizon signed on, Apple would have built a CDMA device.
    04-07-09 03:21 PM
    actually, the device was originally planned to be GSM first, then CDMA about a year or so later, and AT&T demanded exclusive rights so the CDMA version was back burner'd until that term is up
    04-07-09 11:15 PM
    FYI...if you "touch" the caller ID info at the top of the sms, and hit "bb button" it will give you a menu option to "email/pin/call/sms/mms xxxxxxxx"

or you can just hit "send" and call that person...

anyway, we found nemo so the movie can end already
    Video or it never happened... ftw.. this does NOT work on MY storm. (109) ... maybe it works on some hybrid that you had to delete this or that and only have because someone smarter than you made a radio code that you could delete some file from and re add some other file to make it a workable os..

The point remains, you CANNOT just touch the caller info and call from inside an SMS on the Storm.

I'm serious. Video it, or you are making it up. And PK.. I like you, but seriously.. I need video proof this happens, because on MY storm, it does not

EDIT....
    Ok.. this is random.. I played with it some more and it DID make a call... but it doesn't do it every time.. this is even more jacked up than I thought... seriously... meh..

EDIT...
    so jacked up.. can't duplicate it... it did call ONCE by just touching the caller info then hitting send.. now it worn't repeat the amazing feat... lol. I love this..
    Last edited by jdoc77; 04-07-09 at 11:42 PM.
    04-07-09 11:36 PM
    really? after I read the OP I went and tried it and it works every time for me, on 109.....perhaps turn your font size up a little bit?
    04-07-09 11:49 PM
    FYI...if you "touch" the caller ID info at the top of the sms, and hit "bb button" it will give you a menu option to "email/pin/call/sms/mms xxxxxxxx"

or you can just hit "send" and call that person...

anyway, we found nemo so the movie can end already

This is a great feature I use all the time.
    Also, you could use the voice dial feature which is easy and safer while driving.
    Soooooo many options.
    04-08-09 12:17 AM
    Video or it never happened... ftw.. this does NOT work on MY storm. (109) ... maybe it works on some hybrid that you had to delete this or that and only have because someone smarter than you made a radio code that you could delete some file from and re add some other file to make it a workable os..

The point remains, you CANNOT just touch the caller info and call from inside an SMS on the Storm.

I'm serious. Video it, or you are making it up. And PK.. I like you, but seriously.. I need video proof this happens, because on MY storm, it does not
    I made this quick, sorry about the mouth breathing (got a bad cold ) It should show you what we mean.
    04-08-09 08:40 AM
    Funny the responses you get when you post a rant. If maybe I had reduced my rant down to: This phone is not ripe!!!
    I dunno, I think I'd still be catching all this flack.
    Either way allow me to post a few responses if I may.

iPhone... Apple approached Verizon FIRST as did Nextel before their "merge/buyout" with Sprint. FACT: Apple wanted not only the sign on bonus money, but they also wanted a percentage of usage charges too. VZW told them where to go...(to a desperate failing carrier that would sell themselves out by agreeing to those demmands from Apple to get the iPhone in the hopes that it would save their failing business....it did. Laughs on VZW). This is FACT ask anyone in upper management at VZW, and I'm not talking about store managers. I'm talkin way upper mgmnt.

Questioning my ability to use this phone. HA!! That's funny too. I think it was a brilliant VZW employee that assumed that I am leaving apps open or something. Yeah that's it thanks soooo much. Now go back to your pathetic .75 world and realize that just because you are not allowed to mess with yours doesn't mean that those of us capable have and will continue to do so. I'm currently trying the .122 on for size as I have tried each of it's predecessor leaked OS's on my phone including my own Hybrids.

I saw that one poster was having trouble calling from SMS screens as was I.
    Let me make my issue clear.... it not only could work just like all other phones, it would only make sense for it to do so because IT IS EASIER THAT WAY. WTF???? Seriously. I'm just saying it should be set up to simply call by clicking send and nothing else other than maybe u having to select between that contact's Home, Mobile..... etc.

But to the poster having trouble.... if you are still having trouble with it... you "simply" hover your finger over the contact name at the top that SMS'd you and then hit send. However it will not highlight when you hover over it because that would make this EXTRA step easy.

Everyone needs to just relax because being committed to a product and being brainwashed by one are 2 totally different issues.

I still have mine, and will keep it until a WiFi version is realeased. I'm not about to leave VZW regardless of their obvious arrogance. Their network is BY FAR the best Nationwide and that is what is most important to ME!!

My BES issue was corrected after hours on the tech support line for BES. Those guys ROCK!!!! It was as if somehow my phone had double synced itself to the server so I had 2 contact lists.

Another FYI... I had never even picked up a BlackBerry before this Storm back in January, I had never even heard of BES, and you can bet had never heard the term "leaked OS". Funny the things you can learn from a little reading huh???

Peace to all, even those that are quick to complain about my RANT!!!
    RPM
    04-09-09 10:30 PM
    So did you or did you not learn how to operate the phone yet? For petes sake I even made a video of it. How much handholding could you possibly need? And FYI the phone does let you know when the contact is selected. Watch the bottom of the screen in the video.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-09 09:10 AM
    Maybe while in the hospital resting from the car accident you could learn how to use it.

04-10-09 12:51 PM
    . The best part is of you want to call someone else besides the SMS contact without exiting the text screen all you have to is click anywhere else besides the contact and hit send or the bb button. How these people can't even grasp the basics is beyond me....

Incompetitent people...

Plain and Simple.
    04-10-09 04:37 PM
    I don't know what other phones your are talking about that could do what you want the Storm to do. But I've never found "communicating" easier that with this device. The ability to call from sms, mms, email, etc. could not be easier. So easy in fact that a couple of times I have accidentally called someone I was texting with.

From reading these forums, I sometimes wonder if the device I am using really is a Storm.
    04-10-09 05:15 PM
    for goodness sake its a cell phone not actual computer it has limits, why dont everybody that hate the storm so much strap a laptop on their side if you want it to be so damn fast and better and more perfect -i feel much better now
    Actually, it IS a computer more than it is a cellphone. It's chipset is capable of a damn sight more than what we're seeing now.
    04-10-09 11:32 PM
    I don't know what other phones your are talking about that could do what you want the Storm to do. But I've never found "communicating" easier that with this device. The ability to call from sms, mms, email, etc. could not be easier. So easy in fact that a couple of times I have accidentally called someone I was texting with.

From reading these forums, I sometimes wonder if the device I am using really is a Storm.
    Me too. Truer words have never been spoken. My screen was WAY too easy to click on my first one, and kept getting stuck; so I exchanged it. The replacement is much better screenwise, and works every bit as good as my original. Remember though, people ranting in these forums are the vocal minority; most people who love the device won't bother posting about it.
    04-10-09 11:36 PM
    How about touch the contact without clicking and then pushing the green send button. The correct contact is called. It took all of two minutes to figure this out.

dang you beat me to it... took me two and a half minutes to figure it out... OP you dont deserve a storm... make the switch!
    04-10-09 11:44 PM
    Leave my Stormy alone! I love my Stormy!
    04-10-09 11:50 PM
    I love your avatar!! It makes me laugh every time I see it.
    04-11-09 08:35 AM
    I love my Storm too.
    <3
    I'm like surprised by how much stuff people put on their BlackBerry's though@.@

And I need to name mine....
    04-11-09 11:43 AM
    save yourself more aggravation - go back to your old phone - I did.
    The BB is not ready for prime time use - those that say they love the device have probably come from a flip-phone wihtout much past experiences with PDA's - causal users love the phone - but reading and responding to 50+ emails, (oh gotta love that more button) 30+ calls a day, text messaging throughout the day, needing to search the internet etc... - well this is one storm worth sitting out!
    04-11-09 06:44 PM
    Funny the responses you get when you post a misguided rant in which you reveal that the alleged problem with your storm is actually a problem with your understanding of the device.
    I have a suggestion for you, sir. Never get involved in poker. You don't have the crucial ability to fold a losing hand when it's clear to everyone at the table and even to you that you're beat.
    04-12-09 03:02 AM
    Found this thread searching for a fix to the problem the original poster had issue with.

On every other phone i've owned, when you have an SMS up, the send button calls the person.

they're essentially suggesting a 5 step process for what could be done with the pressing of one green button.

1 - Open the SMS
    2 - touch the person's name the line at the top of the screen
    3 - Press the BB button
    4 - scroll down and highlight "Call xxx"
    5 - depress the screen or press the BB button

being in the user interface design field, i often see developers blame users for not understanding how to interact with a system.

rpmgsxr is just expecting his phone to work as he has seen in the past. There is a basic usability heuristic called "Match between system and the real world". In this case the real world is every other phone he has owned/used.
    useit.com/papers/heuristic/heuristic_list.html

A convention has been set whereby clicking send on an SMS will call that person. RIM has chosen to ignore that convention.

I too, disagree with that decision.

-mangle
    05-04-09 05:05 PM
    So, when I try this the screen pops up that you all mentioned, but there is no call option, just email, pin, sms, mms, blackberry messenger, and facebook.
    05-04-09 05:47 PM
    save yourself more aggravation - go back to your old phone - I did.
    The BB is not ready for prime time use - those that say they love the device have probably come from a flip-phone wihtout much past experiences with PDA's - causal users love the phone - but reading and responding to 50+ emails, (oh gotta love that more button) 30+ calls a day, text messaging throughout the day, needing to search the internet etc... - well this is one storm worth sitting out!
    Well I like my storm and I have had many smartphones. Come from the dare (yes not a smart phone) before that a touch pro (worst phone ever!), curve, pearl, and 3 different treo's. So I am not what u describe. I also use my phone for many emails, calls, text messages, pic messages, internet, and multiple apps. Sorry you don't like the storm but being condescending to those that do not agree with you is pretty elementary. So like I said in another post, let me like my storm and I ill let you hate it.

05-04-09 10:02 PM
    Found this thread searching for a fix to the problem the original poster had issue with.

On every other phone i've owned, when you have an SMS up, the send button calls the person.

they're essentially suggesting a 5 step process for what could be done with the pressing of one green button.

1 - Open the SMS
    2 - touch the person's name the line at the top of the screen
    3 - Press the BB button
    4 - scroll down and highlight "Call xxx"
    5 - depress the screen or press the BB button

being in the user interface design field, i often see developers blame users for not understanding how to interact with a system.

rpmgsxr is just expecting his phone to work as he has seen in the past. There is a basic usability heuristic called "Match between system and the real world". In this case the real world is every other phone he has owned/used.
    useit.com/papers/heuristic/heuristic_list.html

A convention has been set whereby clicking send on an SMS will call that person. RIM has chosen to ignore that convention.

I too, disagree with that decision.

-mangle
    So, when I try this the screen pops up that you all mentioned, but there is no call option, just email, pin, sms, mms, blackberry messenger, and facebook.
    For the love of christ. Are you so inept that you cant even figure out how to do this when a video has been made to show you? It's really simple (although it has become apparent that it isn't simple enough for some....), I guess I will quote my own post. Maybe then you will actually learn how to work your phone Sorry about the sarcasm, but this is just ridiculous!

I made this quick, sorry about the mouth breathing (got a bad cold ) It should show you what we mean.
    05-05-09 06:38 AM
    FAIL thread! haha! i make calls from SMS all the time...its sad the OP wont get the ten minutes it took him to "RANT" back...lifes too short to complain before learning.
    05-05-09 06:43 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD