then that means someone can write an app to text without clicking the screen... since the piano keys are played without the screen being clicked... yes?
    02-12-09 10:40 PM
    Yes and no.

We don't have access to the regular keyboard that I know of. So in order to get this to work the programmer would have to create their own keyboard. The only way this will be possible is if RIM provides us access or they add it themself.
    02-12-09 10:47 PM
    Yea, that would be nice if it's possible to create a keyboard that didn't require screen clicks, would increase my typing speed.
    02-13-09 01:04 AM
    Sorry and no offense intended to the author, but I have to point out that this is yet another example of a sadly primitive version of an app that's long been available in far superior form for the lowly Palm.

Take a look at this $10 app and then tell me if the Storm app isn't pathetic by comparison. Be sure to play the YouTube demonstration you'll find at this link.

Virtual Piano - Enhanced!!! for Palm OS by Thuliumware

Why can't our Storms compete with the ancient Palm OS?
    02-13-09 01:44 AM
    damn that was pretty sick.
    02-13-09 01:52 AM
    Yes it was! I can only pray that once the Storm's OS gets stabilized, developers will start coding some SOPHISTICATED apps instead of the grade school stuff we're seeing now.

And again NO OFFENSE intended to the author of Storm Piano, Snapple Cap, Light Saber and those other cute apps. But really - I expected a state of the art 21st century Smartphone to deliver more than merely "cute".
    02-13-09 01:56 AM
    Sorry and no offense intended to the author, but I have to point out that this is yet another example of a sadly primitive version of an app that's long been available in far superior form for the lowly Palm.

Take a look at this $10 app and then tell me if the Storm app isn't pathetic by comparison. Be sure to play the YouTube demonstration you'll find at this link.

Virtual Piano - Enhanced!!! for Palm OS by Thuliumware

Why can't our Storms compete with the ancient Palm OS?
    erm.... dmg lakewood provided the piano for FREE and whipped it up in a few days. Palm has had a jumpstart on applications for along time with there PDA's, so the culture of palm lovers and developers has always been there. Not to mention, this is the first touch screen bb ever and its only been out for a few months. palm has had touch phones for a LONNNNG time.
    02-13-09 01:58 AM
    Yes I understand that, and again THANK you dmg lakewood. My post wasn't intended to slam you. But it IS a slam on the state of our Storms. I suspect that developers have already been turned off by the Storm's buggy OS. I fear that within just a few weeks of the Palm Pre's release we will see dozens of Pre apps that will stomp all over our Storm apps.
    02-13-09 02:08 AM
    Yes it was! I can only pray that once the Storm's OS gets stabilized, developers will start coding some SOPHISTICATED apps instead of the grade school stuff we're seeing now.

And again NO OFFENSE intended to the author of Storm Piano, Snapple Cap, Light Saber and those other cute apps. But really - I expected a state of the art 21st century Smartphone to deliver more than merely "cute".
    True This...!
    02-13-09 02:28 AM
    i would easily pay $20 for a multitouch keyboard. as long as it could be used anywhere the regular keyboard could. it would have to have pop up letters instead of the blue glow too.

actually, honestly i would pay up to $50 for this, thats how bad i want it.

so developers you could make some cash on this.

MAYBE WE SHOULD MAKE A BOUNTY???? who is in?

if we are going to do a bounty, i will start by throwing in $20, who else? lets see how high we can get this.
    02-13-09 03:58 AM
    a drum app would be cool.
    02-13-09 05:05 AM

The problem lies in the OS, the UI and the hardware.

The OS limits a ton of stuff developers want to do. I'm not sure if this is to prevent apps from hogging all the memory or what, but I have been limited time and time again. I have to "dumb" down the apps to get them to run.

The hardware also has it's own limitations like the lack of memory. Apps have to stay small which means graphics / audio etc all have to be reduced.

The UI well the UI they provide developers with just sucks at best. You can't just create an app and have it look pretty, you need to spend some serious time coding an ap to make it look good.

If you're hoping for high quality apps like on the iPhone then you will surely be upset I can ensure you.
    02-13-09 10:34 AM
    What texting without clicks?

Buy an iPhone
    02-13-09 10:40 AM

Buy an iPhone
    I hate when people say that.
    02-13-09 10:41 AM
    I watched the video on the pianos website and am mildly confused. I saw an app play a song by itself, but I did not see anyone actually pushing the keys. Was that a playback of a song that someone wrote? Did they use the touchscreen to write it first then play it back? Or were they simply using the phones keyboard (assuming it has one) to play the song?
    02-13-09 11:20 AM
    Did they use the touchscreen to write it first then play it back?
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that was demonstrating the Palm app's ability to record and playback step inputted sequences. By the way, that song was monophonic, but I have another Palm app that can play back up to four simultaneous midi voices on my ancient Palm Vx, something the anemic Storm OS and hardware will apparently never be able to match.

I am so disappointed with this not-so-smart Storm Smartphone. Can't wait to get my hands on a Pre.
    02-13-09 10:05 PM
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that was demonstrating the Palm app's ability to record and playback step inputted sequences. By the way, that song was monophonic, but I have another Palm app that can play back up to four simultaneous midi voices on my ancient Palm Vx, something the anemic Storm OS and hardware will apparently never be able to match.

I am so disappointed with this not-so-smart Storm Smartphone. Can't wait to get my hands on a Pre.
    I highly doubt the hardware is limited to just 1 tone. I'm almost positive it's software limitations. If that's the case I'm not worried about it just yet, they have larger things to worry about like their OS.
    02-13-09 10:08 PM

Buy an iPhone
    Or have great expectations for applications..

Storm hardware limits this capability GREATLY
    02-13-09 10:33 PM
    this would be cool
    02-13-09 10:51 PM
    The problem lies in the OS, the UI and the hardware.

The OS limits a ton of stuff developers want to do. I'm not sure if this is to prevent apps from hogging all the memory or what, but I have been limited time and time again. I have to "dumb" down the apps to get them to run.

The hardware also has it's own limitations like the lack of memory. Apps have to stay small which means graphics / audio etc all have to be reduced.

The UI well the UI they provide developers with just sucks at best. You can't just create an app and have it look pretty, you need to spend some serious time coding an ap to make it look good.

If you're hoping for high quality apps like on the iPhone then you will surely be upset I can ensure you.
    Well, the iPhone only has around 128 MB of RAM, while the Storm has 192! (some places say 128 others 192 Final Verizon BlackBerry Storm Tech Specs | CrackBerry.com) It's the OS like dmglakewood said. It hogs all the damn memory! Now if they were implement shared memory and use the storage card (or even the internal memory!) as system RAM, that would be godlike!

@ dmglakewood: Trust me when I say we all love your work. Just because he doesn't, does not mean we (the rest of us) don't. I would love to see how you progress on your quest of being the dang best BB support out there!

Not hardware limited. The OS is limiting it. The GSM version is able to do more than one at a time.
    Last edited by Shadow.xXx; 02-14-09 at 01:44 AM.
    02-14-09 01:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD