So I just upgraded from 75 to 85 and lets just say first off I love it, alot faster, etc. But whenever I lock my phone and put it into sleep mode, I take it out of the sleeve and it's unlocked. But I never bumped the unlock or anything, and it does it every time. Is this something w/ the software update?
    12-29-08 12:55 AM
    i wish i can say but im having problem downloading .85.can you help?
    12-29-08 01:06 AM
    Just follow the directions on the main crackberry page, it's not hard if you follow them.
    12-29-08 01:09 AM
    maybe its assuming that if your taking it out of the holster that you want to use it and so it unlocks the phone for you?
    12-29-08 01:41 AM
    yes mine is doing this aswell

i dont udnerstand how the phone knows its in the holster compared to my pocket but i really wish it wouldnt unlock itself
    12-29-08 01:41 AM
    maybe its assuming that if your taking it out of the holster that you want to use it and so it unlocks the phone for you?
    thats what i would think and it does make sense that this is happening
    12-29-08 01:42 AM
    yes mine is doing this aswell

i dont udnerstand how the phone knows its in the holster compared to my pocket but i really wish it wouldnt unlock itself
    you see at the top where it clips into the holster? there's probably a magnet in there that's telling it that it is being put into or taken out of the holster
    12-29-08 01:43 AM
    you can change the setting so it no longer dose this .
    12-29-08 02:33 AM
    thats what i would think and it does make sense that this is happening
    me too. i figure why else would i take it out of the holster except to use it.

maybe 1 out of 50 times i take it out and dont wanna unlock it.

so i would rather have it the way i want 49 times and have to relock 1 times rather than....

having to unlock it 49 times.

unless i am missing something.
    12-29-08 04:08 AM
    you see at the top where it clips into the holster? there's probably a magnet in there that's telling it that it is being put into or taken out of the holster
    I dont think a magnet in the holster will actually make the storm magically sense its in a holster and to lock.

I have had the same problem since updating from 75 to 85.I do have the leather holster but decided to go the day without it and stick with my silicon case,and had the same exact problem with it unlocking,and that was from it sitting in my cupholder in my car.So its definately nothing to do with the leather holster,I think its the update.
    12-29-08 04:51 AM
    I dont think a magnet in the holster will actually make the storm magically sense its in a holster and to lock.
    The holster does not lock the phone. But, YES, there is a magnet in the holster that 'magically' puts the phone into sleep/standby mode.

If you have a decently strong magnet available (like a thicker refrigerator magnet), set it in the center of the screen and watch the magic for yourself.

In my experience, it will lock or unlock only if I accidentally pressed the lock button while putting it into or taking it out of the holster.
    12-29-08 05:26 AM
    Actually it does every other blackberry ive had locks when you put it in the case and unlocks when you take it out. Its because of the magnet
    12-29-08 09:15 AM
    I think an application is causing this. When I had TinyTwitter installed, the phone appeared to unlock itself whenever TinyTwiter automatically checked for updates.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 09:31 AM

I have had the same problem since updating from 75 to 85.I do have the leather holster but decided to go the day without it and stick with my silicon case,and had the same exact problem with it unlocking,and that was from it sitting in my cupholder in my car.So its definately nothing to do with the leather holster,I think its the update.
    I've got the leather holster, but where can I find the magical locking cup holder. I need one of those for my car.
    12-29-08 10:08 AM
    It is meant to do this by design.
    12-29-08 11:10 AM
    Yes -- this is why I purchased a holster that is OEM (magnet enclosed). Helps save the battery life by locking/putting to sleep!
    12-29-08 11:45 AM
    yea i was asking about this but nobody seemed to care earlier, but ever since i updated to .83 and .85 mines does the same thing. i lock it put it in the holster, and when i take it out it unlocks by itself.. thought it was weird because when i had .65, .75, and .76 it didn't do this.. im just glad im not the only one
    12-29-08 12:06 PM
    yea i was asking about this but nobody seemed to care earlier, but ever since i updated to .83 and .85 mines does the same thing. i lock it put it in the holster, and when i take it out it unlocks by itself.. thought it was weird because when i had .65, .75, and .76 it didn't do this.. im just glad im not the only one
    Unless you have Lock Handheld upon Holstering set to YES. this is the way it should work. If you change the setting to yes the handheld should remain locked after it is removed from the holster.
    12-29-08 12:15 PM
    Unless you have Lock Handheld upon Holstering set to YES. this is the way it should work. If you change the setting to yes the handheld should remain locked after it is removed from the holster.
    yea that works when its not unlocked and you holster it, then pull it out it stays locked. but when i lock it, then holster it and pull it out it still unlocks by itself, i've grown use to it now so i'm not complaining. it was just weird at first because this didn't happen on previous versions, .65 .75 .76
    12-29-08 12:25 PM
    yea that works when its not unlocked and you holster it, then pull it out it stays locked. but when i lock it, then holster it and pull it out it still unlocks by itself, i've grown use to it now so i'm not complaining. it was just weird at first because this didn't happen on previous versions, .65 .75 .76
    hmm that is odd. When I try that it stays locked, with the setting set to yes regardless of wether I lock the device prior to placing it in the holster or if it does automaticly.
    12-29-08 12:29 PM
    lol exactly, good to know im not crazy
    12-29-08 12:37 PM
    ok i got .85 downloaded.but not it says i have no service book entries and to contact vzw.any help on this one?
    12-29-08 12:42 PM
    ok i got .85 downloaded.but not it says i have no service book entries and to contact vzw.any help on this one?my browser icon dissapeared as well
    12-29-08 12:44 PM
    I don't have a holster, and it's still unlocking itself, ever since I upgraded to .85. Also, the screen stays on constantly (probably related to the unlocking problem), an I'm having issues with keyboards not changing when I rotate. And, the video player is acting strange with the same videos I was playing before in .75. Gonna downgrade til the next upgrade. That might become this phone's theme song...
    12-29-08 12:52 PM
    But whenever I lock my phone and put it into sleep mode, I take it out of the sleeve and it's unlocked.
    My phone started doing this on .83 but it is not consistent. It will still do it on .85 but not as often. Personally I like the feature and want it to auto lock when placed in and auto unlock when removed.

EDIT:
    I uninstalled autolock.
    Now if I manually lock the phone before I put it in the holster the screen will light up and unlock when I remove it.
    If I do not lock it before I put it in the holster the screen will go dark, but while I remove it from the holster one of the buttons or side keys get activated.
    Last edited by k1768; 12-29-08 at 07:25 PM.
    12-29-08 07:04 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD