I use the Custom_Dark theme, and my background picture is a fractal design that my husband made. The colors in it are beautiful... I see no issue with it whatsoever. I can see it just a little bit in things like the blue selection bar in BBM, and things like that, but it is hardly noticeable unless I'm really looking for it. Definitely isn't raining on MY parade!

Oh... and no offense taken. I've always been considered "just one of the guys"... it's all good!
    Cool. So those who don't like the banding, sounds like the Custom_Dark theme handles it well. I'm using one called Minimal_Bold. No banding on the icons, a little on the wallpaper, but I left it cause I actually like the wallpaper. It can be changed.
    05-31-09 07:16 PM
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction....I'm happy with the way my screen looks-nice even gradient of colors!

Cheers,
    Steve in So Cal
    05-31-09 07:20 PM
    Judge for yourself.

.75 on the left half of the images, .148 on the right

People who say it's not an issue, just because you're ok with it doesn't mean it's not a legitimate issue that bothers a lot of people.
    05-31-09 07:28 PM
    I was talking to my Verizon rep, and he said the next OS will be released in July and will address the horrible color banding that makes the phone so completely unusable.

not.
    just wanted to be frst to start rumors about the next VZW storm OS release.

and if color banding is the only thing wrong with the phone, then it must be behaving quite well.
    05-31-09 07:42 PM
    <sigh> I give up. I said it before, there are options. Different themes do not have Color Banding, nor do high resolution wallpapers. Choose wisely.

Complaining here isn't going to resolve your issue. The majority are firmly against you, and all it does is get a lot of people seriously ticked off (I'm not one of them, but I am reaching my limit on this issue).

Yes it's a legitimate issue. Yes it should be fixed. But no, it's never been a top issue, not even in the Top 10 for me. Things like failed number pads in the phone application, broken lock buttons, crashing video players, these and other issues were much more important. Now that most of the CRITICAL bugs have been resolved, maybe they will start working on improving the aesthetics and the overall performance more.

Contact Verizon and RIM and voice your complaint there. If enough people do, maybe it will move up their priority lists. But you're wasting electrons trying to convert the non-believers here.
    Last edited by DeaconBlue; 05-31-09 at 07:52 PM.
    05-31-09 07:45 PM
    <sigh> I give up. I said it before, there are options. Different themes do not have Color Banding, nor do high resolution wallpapers. Choose wisely.

Complaining here isn't going to resolve your issue. The majority are firmly against you, and all it does is get a lot of people seriously ticked off (I'm not one of them, but I am reaching my limit on this issue).

Yes it's a legitimate issue. Yes it should be fixed. But no, it's never been a top issue, not even in the Top 10 for me. Things like failed number pads in the phone application, broken lock buttons, crashing video players, these and other issues were much more important. Now that most of the CRITICAL bugs have been resolved, maybe they will start working on improving the aesthetics and the overall performance more.

Contact Verizon and RIM and voice your complaint there. If enough people do, maybe it will move up their priority lists. But you're wasting electrons trying to convert the non-believers here.
    Smart post. I think they'll start tweaking these issues now that they gotten most of the critical complaints in the past.

Like deaconblue said,give verizon and RIM **** about fixing the issue.
    05-31-09 08:13 PM
    I can make people say, "ooh" with my display. I just don't show them the media background. This screen resolution is sharp and crisp. The colors are rich and balanced. Banding is only an issue on simple monochromatic wallpapers.

I'm not at all concerned about it.

That said, I'm leery about updating to .148 from .141 since I had GPS issues with the leak. Ooops, overblown topic thread-hijack.
    05-31-09 08:22 PM
    I think that the color banding issue is not a big deal, the main function of a blackberry is to be a great email / multitasking solution and the storm was supposed to add a media based twist to this... mission accomplished. If the banding increases performance it is a good sacrifice IMHO because you cant see your high quality phone if it is too busy lagging.
    05-31-09 08:24 PM
    I can make people say, "ooh" with my display. I just don't show them the media background. This screen resolution is sharp and crisp. The colors are rich and balanced. Banding is only an issue on simple monochromatic wallpapers.

I'm not at all concerned about it.

That said, I'm leery about updating to .148 from .141 since I had GPS issues with the leak. Ooops, overblown topic thread-hijack.
    Nothing wrong with the GPS in 148. I use various GPS enabled apps all the time, including Google Maps, Where, Weatherbug. You may have had a glitched install, or the GPS defaulted back to E911 only after the install, or if you did not install BlackBerry Maps, WeatherBug, Poynt, and several other 3rd party apps will fail.

Go ahead and try again. You may very well have better luck, especially if you check those 2 items (GPS on and BB Maps installed).
    05-31-09 08:26 PM
    So Schmoopie, how is 148 for ya
    At the risk of sounding like a newb...... What the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks is a Schmoopie? *LOL*
    05-31-09 08:49 PM
    Non issue, stop talking about it. Storm is great, your a whiner, get a different phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 08:53 PM
    Only those with an OC disorder would find this to be a problem.
    05-31-09 08:56 PM
    People who say it's not an issue, just because you're ok with it doesn't mean it's not a legitimate issue that bothers a lot of people.
    It IS an issue, no doubt about it. However, it's so incredibly low on the list of things that could be improved, so I'm just frustrated to see it receive such a disproportionate amount of attention. I mean, I know no one is forcing me to read this thread, the posts, the board in general, etc, but the goddamn issue seems to permeate every single thread--which sucks, since it isn't an issue for 95% of users here.
    05-31-09 09:01 PM
    At the risk of sounding like a newb...... What the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks is a Schmoopie? *LOL*
    Have you ever seen Seinfeld? "Schmoopie" was a word introduced in the Soup Nazi episode. It's like a disgustingly cute nickname for a significant other. Another member here started calling me that as a joke, and it stuck. I am now the "Official Schmoopie of CB" because of that.
    05-31-09 09:47 PM
    Have you ever seen Seinfeld? "Schmoopie" was a word introduced in the Soup Nazi episode. It's like a disgustingly cute nickname for a significant other. Another member here started calling me that as a joke, and it stuck. I am now the "Official Schmoopie of CB" because of that.
    You know, of all the Seinfeld episodes i've seen, i've NEVER seen Soup Nazi (which is odd considering how "famous" it is)....

At any rate, thank you for explaining, "Schmoopie!"
    06-01-09 09:30 AM
    You know, of all the Seinfeld episodes i've seen, i've NEVER seen Soup Nazi (which is odd considering how "famous" it is)....

At any rate, thank you for explaining, "Schmoopie!"
    Well in that case... NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

06-01-09 09:46 AM
    Well in that case... NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

hahaha, thanks for that...it cheered me up!
    06-01-09 09:54 AM
    hahaha, thanks for that...it cheered me up!
    Good... don't be grumpy today... you need to grow some of that hair back.
    06-01-09 09:55 AM
    It IS an issue, no doubt about it. However, it's so incredibly low on the list of things that could be improved, so I'm just frustrated to see it receive such a disproportionate amount of attention. I mean, I know no one is forcing me to read this thread, the posts, the board in general, etc, but the goddamn issue seems to permeate every single thread--which sucks, since it isn't an issue for 95% of users here.
    I agree, this is a small problem, proably not even in the top 25. But it gets so much (unwarranted) attention because a small % of users are obsessed, and post about it constantly.

I would bet the 99% of Storm users dont even know what we are talking about.

Plus, its not really a bug, they obviously did this for performance reasons. RIM could have 1% of users upset, or they could "fix" the banding and upset 90% of the users due to a slower UI. They made the right choice.

I doubt this "feature" will ever change, at least until Storm 2, so you might as well get used to it.
    06-01-09 10:02 AM
    it does not look like crap. You all are making a non issue an issue. If you think its a big issue then go back to .75, otherwise quit complaining!
    Not true.....color banding can absolutely destroy some themes (IVista 2). If you don't notice that, you need your eyes checked!
    06-01-09 10:08 AM
    I agree, this is a small problem, proably not even in the top 25. But it gets so much (unwarranted) attention because a small % of users are obsessed, and post about it constantly.

I would bet the 99% of Storm users dont even know what we are talking about.

Plus, its not really a bug, they obviously did this for performance reasons. RIM could have 1% of users upset, or they could "fix" the banding and upset 90% of the users due to a slower UI. They made the right choice.

I doubt this "feature" will ever change, at least until Storm 2, so you might as well get used to it.
    You are right to an extent. It is low on most user's "top 25" problem list, but the fact remains, this was THE premium Blackberry media device with a screen that shows 65k colors. When Verizon is bragging about the color and clarity, it becomes more important. Yes, I want a faster, smoother, more efficient OS first, but damm*t, if Verizon deems is important enough to boast about in every fricken' ad that I see, it BETTER BE ON THE DEVICE.
    Just my .02......
    06-01-09 10:11 AM
    Only those with an OC disorder would find this to be a problem.
    Yep, and I'm one of them.
    Degrading the color to improve speed is a chickensh*t thing to do. Way to go RIM!
    06-01-09 10:13 AM
    I think that the color banding issue is not a big deal, the main function of a blackberry is to be a great email / multitasking solution and the storm was supposed to add a media based twist to this... mission accomplished. If the banding increases performance it is a good sacrifice IMHO because you cant see your high quality phone if it is too busy lagging.
    Has it really increased the performance? for all we know it is other fixes, not the color degredation. A media-based Blackberry better have a gorgeous homescreen and UI (to grab the Iphone shoppers) or they will lose customers.
    06-01-09 10:17 AM
    Yep, and I'm one of them.
    Degrading the color to improve speed is a chickensh*t thing to do. Way to go RIM!
    Word around the campfire is that the color banding has been fixed with .151.

It'll be another 6 mos. or so until VzW releases another official so get it on the leak or don't get it at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 10:18 AM
    You are right to an extent. It is low on most user's "top 25" problem list, but the fact remains, this was THE premium Blackberry media device with a screen that shows 65k colors. When Verizon is bragging about the color and clarity, it becomes more important. Yes, I want a faster, smoother, more efficient OS first, but damm*t, if Verizon deems is important enough to boast about in every fricken' ad that I see, it BETTER BE ON THE DEVICE.
    Just my .02......
    marcus

Is the .90 radio working out for you? I tried it for a day and a half, but started getting the Verizon screen of death when turning on my phone after charging....also too many random reboots....

I liked the lack (or close to it) of color banding and the larger keys, but couldn't handle the reboots and freezes....I would like to see these again in a future OS and I don't think it's asking too much....
    06-01-09 11:13 AM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD