That's a lengthy but well done Nexus One review. I want to see comparisons of the Nexus and Incredible once both are released for VZW. Debating on which I want to get, if either since I am in contract and it's expensive.
    04-04-10 11:38 PM
    well i think they will be almost exactly the same, N1 with trackball and incedible with the trackpad i think and the addition of sense UI. Not much else is my understanding
    04-04-10 11:41 PM
    Hmm.. well in that case it will come down to if I would prefer Sense or just regular Android, and the money factor. Would definitely love one of the two that's for sure though.
    04-04-10 11:44 PM
    yep that is the reason i am waiting, i want the sense and pad over ball really
    04-04-10 11:46 PM
    Yeah I think I would prefer that too as I've watched videos of the Eris utilizing Sense UI and it looks pretty slick. The only thing I'm not a fan of with Sense is that it most likely takes longer to update since Sense needs to be updated for the updated Android. Do you know of any way to get a phone while in contract without paying an arm and a leg?
    04-04-10 11:53 PM
    That was definitely the most comprehensive and unbiased review of the Nexus One I've seen. I actually hadn't noticed the framerate issue until he said something. And he did mention that he wished there was a quicker way to access the voice-to-text option from the keyboard, and there actually is: a quick swipe from left to right across the keypad will bring it up with the quickness. He was right on just about everything else... the browser is incredibly fast. On WiFi, I would liken it to IE8 speeds.

And if you're waiting for Sense, jwirtz, it's definitly a good alternative. While the stock Android UI is definitely no slouch, there are certain times when it can feel fragmented. A certain actions in one area of the device may do one thing, where that same action does something different in another area, if that makes sense. I would like a tad more cohesion across the board.

I spent Easter today with my brother who has a Droid Eris, and I played with it for a couple hours. I was suprised at how deeply rooted into the OS it actually is. It is definitely not just a theme, and I didn't realize it had a different keyboard. It's a beautiful interface (the homescreen widget is straight-up badass, and the default color scheme is black as opposed to my grey, which I dug), and it makes great strides in creating a more cohesive experience across the board. I wasn't as fond of the keyboard, but that could be because I'm used to the stock. I plan on giving swype a try whenever that comes out anyway.
    Last edited by DrewCSchultz; 04-05-10 at 12:21 AM.
    04-05-10 12:16 AM
    Yeah I definitely want to get the Incredible, I just wish there were a way I could get it without paying over $500 for it since my plan isn't up for one more year. As much as I would love to get an iPhone if it comes to VZW I would much rather jump onto the Android ship since I can't stand Apple, or more than that, their fanboys which are too overwhelming lol. And I like Google since they are in favor of open source which I love since I am going to school for programming.
    Anyone know of ways to purchase phones while in contract with being raped?
    04-05-10 01:19 AM
    Yeah I definitely want to get the Incredible, I just wish there were a way I could get it without paying over $500 for it since my plan isn't up for one more year. As much as I would love to get an iPhone if it comes to VZW I would much rather jump onto the Android ship since I can't stand Apple, or more than that, their fanboys which are too overwhelming lol. And I like Google since they are in favor of open source which I love since I am going to school for programming.
    Anyone know of ways to purchase phones while in contract with being raped?
    Not really unfortunately... especially since that phone will be a hot ticket when it drops. Your best bet would be to complain to customer service (start now) about your current device. They have been know to allow for early upgrade pricing to keep the customer happy.

Other than that, keep an eye on ebay, but even that wouldn't save you too much money.
    04-05-10 01:38 AM
    Yeah ebay won't be cheap, as right now Droids sell for more than $320 on average which is somewhat a lot since it's been out for at least a few months. If I were to wait that long to upgrade I would be closer to waiting until my contract is up to see what comes out.
    I have thought about complaining about my phone to customer service and keep exchanging my phone until I get to number 7, then I came get a different device. Only thing with that is I don't feel like going to Verizon that many times and updating each new Storm's OS with hybrids lol. Also, if I did that, would having a hybrid OS keep me from being able to exchange it?
    04-05-10 01:43 AM
    Yeah ebay won't be cheap, as right now Droids sell for more than $320 on average which is somewhat a lot since it's been out for at least a few months. If I were to wait that long to upgrade I would be closer to waiting until my contract is up to see what comes out.
    I have thought about complaining about my phone to customer service and keep exchanging my phone until I get to number 7, then I came get a different device. Only thing with that is I don't feel like going to Verizon that many times and updating each new Storm's OS with hybrids lol. Also, if I did that, would having a hybrid OS keep me from being able to exchange it?
    Most reps probably wouldn't notice, but I would reload an official OS to be safe. You don't want to give them a reason.

However, what you're talking about is a "multifru", where you bring back a phone so many times that they finally replace it with a device of equal value for free. The HTC Incredible would not be a device of equal value.

What I mean is that if you complain enough about your current device itself, they may allow you to do an early upgrade. This way you would be able to purchase the Incredible at a 2 yr. contract price.
    04-05-10 02:24 AM
    Just finished reading that review (thanks howarmat) and I have to say I'm impressed. Multitasking and functionality look present and accounted for. Hopefully the htc version I've read about here will be available on Verizon by August when I can upgrade as I'm not thrilled about a trackball. I've never owned a phone with one but I have used them before and never felt comfortable with them.

Honestly I don't see myself owning another blackberry for some time. Even the peeks I've seen of OS 6.0, if they're an accurate representation of what's to come, leaves me wanting more. The 9530 is my first smartphone and I enjoyed the days of leaks and learning how to tinker with it but in the end all my tinkering efforts still left me with an inferior product for my needs.
    My fault for not doing more research before I bought it but rather blind faith in Verizon releasing the latest and greatest touchscreen was enough for me to invest my hard earned cash and two year contract.

The storm wasn't all bad for me as I didn't experience the dust issues or click problems I used to read about all the time here. I'm just glad I found this site to keep this thing usable through the time of 4.7.0.75 "official" and I always feel sorry for John Q Public that I run into with a storm still running .148 and never hooks up to DM to even know there is .328 available.

In the end I'm sure whatever phone I buy next will come with its own set of quirks but hey, that's what crackberry is for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-10 12:34 PM
    I would say that RIM getting its a$$ currently whooped is nothing but a really good thing for RIM fans.

RIM's in no danger of going out of business whatsoever, they will be coming out with future generations of phones, and the bar MUST rise on the quality of their products.

The more pressure put on them, the better- The C.E.O. needs to focus less on Hockey Teams and get back to his core business.

If RIM was somehow rewarded generously for it's current generation of absolute cr@p products, you'd see another wave of... aboslute cr@p.. with 100 updates before basic functionality. Totally unacceptable.

Boy was that Storm a flaming monkey turd.
    Still have nightmares.

$Matt
    04-05-10 05:55 PM
    I would say that RIM getting its a$$ currently whooped is nothing but a really good thing for RIM fans.

RIM's in no danger of going out of business whatsoever, they will be coming out with future generations of phones, and the bar MUST rise on the quality of their products.

The more pressure put on them, the better- The C.E.O. needs to focus less on Hockey Teams and get back to his core business.

If RIM was somehow rewarded generously for it's current generation of absolute cr@p products, you'd see another wave of... aboslute cr@p.. with 100 updates before basic functionality. Totally unacceptable.

Boy was that Storm a flaming monkey turd.
    Still have nightmares.

$Matt
    Get ready for it...
    04-05-10 07:02 PM

RIM's in no danger of going out of business whatsoever, they will be coming out with future generations of phones, and the bar MUST rise on the quality of their products
    You are not just whistleing dixie. Competition rocks; no corporation is going to push itself if it doesn't have to. Without it, we would all still have those dreaded bag phones with crappy coverage and no free minutes.

true RIM's sales growth and revenue for 4Q was at the top of the industry but without the iphone 3GS..... Need I say more.

Last edited by kb5zht; 04-06-10 at 09:31 AM.
    04-06-10 09:29 AM
    ...the bar MUST rise on the quality of their products.
    Very true. An article from the blogs...

http://crackberry.com/skyfire-releas...ry-development

That's the last blow to RIM as a non-email device.

If you don't want to check the link, here's the gist...

The Blackberry developer environment is not as favorable for cutting-edge application development. The APIs are fragmented and inconsistent, and the Java virtual machine Blackberry requires is not efficient.
    04-07-10 07:28 PM
    You are not just whistleing dixie. Competition rocks; no corporation is going to push itself if it doesn't have to. Without it, we would all still have those dreaded bag phones with crappy coverage and no free minutes.
    So true.. The one thing that kind of skews the equation is so many corporations are tied into Blackberry's proprietary secure communication that they would have to buy whatever BlackBerry offers them.. no matter what the quality.

Hopefully they get slammed enough to the point where they are forced to get their act together.

$Matt
    04-08-10 09:45 AM
    I have loved my storm (having come to it from the Motorola razor), now I can't wait to upgrade to the S2. My gf just upgraded from the iphone 3g to the 3gS or whatever it is and I will be darned if I'm outdone with a phone that's so 2009 haha.

its the principal of the matter after all.

04-08-10 01:01 PM
    Not much more of a wait!!! I was ready to pull the trigger on the N1, but the HTC Droid Incredible is going to be my next phone. I just haven't decided how I'm going to destroy my Storm yet.

April 29 is the day.
    04-16-10 11:16 PM
    Not much more of a wait!!! I was ready to pull the trigger on the N1, but the HTC Droid Incredible is going to be my next phone. I just haven't decided how I'm going to destroy my Storm yet.

April 29 is the day.
    Im excited about the incredible too, but only because it wont be long before they they've ripped the sense from it, and I can load it onto my N1.

04-16-10 11:28 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD