i am currently a tour user and came from storm 1
    I searched but was still confused

1 so storm 2 has wifi does this mean i can connect to my home network and various other hotspots internet browsing using wifi download etc.... at the same 29.99$ verizon rate and how much do you actually use it?

2 does this also mean i still need something else to give my laptop internet while out on the road

3 is there something out right now that will allow storm 2 to act as a hotspot for my laptop or other devices

thanks for ur time helping me understand this
    04-04-10 10:10 PM
    the storm2 does not provide "mifi" type service. it just connects to a hotspot or to your home network wirelessly. it doesn't allow your laptop to connect.

Verizon is trying to sell more Palm Pre's so they just dropped the price of the tethering option to ZERO and also the price of the phone. I wouldn't recommend a Pre, but you can check it out and see what u think of it.
    04-04-10 10:14 PM
    Any Blackberry you buy from any carrier, you need a Blackberry plan for 30/month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-10 10:16 PM
    1. You still have to pay for the $30 verizon rate, you'll just get much faster internet speeds.

2. & 3. To tether your laptop to your phone you'll need to buy TetherBerry or pay an increased rate on your cellphone bill.
    04-04-10 10:16 PM
    i am currently a tour user and came from storm 1
    I searched but was still confused

1 so storm 2 has wifi does this mean i can connect to my home network and various other hotspots internet browsing using wifi download etc.... at the same 29.99$ verizon rate and how much do you actually use it?

2 does this also mean i still need something else to give my laptop internet while out on the road

3 is there something out right now that will allow storm 2 to act as a hotspot for my laptop or other devices

thanks for ur time helping me understand this
    there is no additional charge for using wifi beyond the usual $30 BB plan fee.
    04-04-10 10:17 PM
    1. You still have to pay for the $30 verizon rate, you'll just get much faster internet speeds.

2. & 3. To tether your laptop to your phone you'll need to buy TetherBerry or pay an increased rate on your cellphone bill.
    the OP mentioned other devices. tetherberry won't do him any good for tethering to a touch (as an example), if I'm not mistaken. anyone?
    04-04-10 10:19 PM
    Yes, the Storm 2 is able to connect to wireless networks. Since you are running on a different connection, it has nothing to do with Verizon and your $29.99 data plan.

I use it in situations when I can't get Verizon service (for some reason in the courthouse when I had jury duty Verizon couldn't get through but the court's wifi could). Otherwise though, I turn off the wifi to save battery life.

You can "tether" your S2 to your laptop to use the connection but it costs an additional $29 (possibly per month, I forget, I don't use this feature). This is separate from your $29.99 data plan. I believe there are programs that let you do this for free but bad things happen to you if Verizon catches on. You'll want to ask someone who knows more about tethering (i.e. not me).

See above.
    04-04-10 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD