So I posted awhile ago that when the screen fades out and goes black if i receive a text message it will vibrate and light the red led but no sound. it only makes the text message sound when the lcd is lite up.
    I made a custom profile and it worked for 3 days, and out of no where it did it again and i didn't change a thing.
    So i created another profile, but still the same thing. the bad thing is sometimes it will work and make a sound if the screen is off but almost 90% of the time it wont make a sound..
    whats up.

my phone is one of the new ones as well. I just did the update to and it still does it.
    12-06-08 12:29 AM
    no one????????????
    12-07-08 12:03 AM
    what particular ringtone do you have selected?

this was happening with me for BBM messages and I had selected "Lightspeed". I switched to "Greeter" and now it works fine...
    12-07-08 12:05 AM
    what particular ringtone do you have selected?

this was happening with me for BBM messages and I had selected "Lightspeed". I switched to "Greeter" and now it works fine...
    no way ive been using lightspeed, i really like that tone. I guess I can change it and go from there.
    12-07-08 10:21 AM
    Yeah for whatever reason, all the alerts I was previously using with my Curve, don't alert me when the Storm is in the holster. If it's out of the holster, it works. Who knows why?!

So I went back and changed the alerts to other tunes and it seems to work fine now. The other day it wasn't working on 1 of the alerts so I just did a battery pull and then it worked fine again. Who knows but this has worked for me so far.

I was using lightspeed for SMS as well. Now I switched to something else and it works...
    12-07-08 10:24 AM
    I had the same problem. I was using Lightspeed also. I changed ringtones and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks!
    12-07-08 05:29 PM
    Yeah try changing the ringtone. That usually does it.
    12-07-08 05:30 PM
    really bizarre... wonder what type of bug is associated with 'lightspeed' but that seems to be the cause of all our problems!
    12-07-08 06:34 PM
    I don't use lightspeed, and I've tried changing my alert to something else.....still having the problem, it just happened again. No sound, just LED
    12-07-08 08:25 PM
    I too am having notification issues with sms messaging. I called verizon and they had me totally reload new programming into the phone... 2 hour process...
    Today I still see the l.e.d. light up with no sound for sms text messages.. I may hear one sound out of 4 messages.. I have changed sounds etc with no luck.. still searching for what is causing it but nothing yet.
    12-08-08 10:40 AM
    Please let us know if you find the root of the problem. I have been using the "notifier" sounds for all of my notifications, maybe they're the problem. I'm switching to the "BBPro" sounds. I'll post any results.
    12-08-08 12:45 PM
    I'm giving this phone a chance until my 30 days are up, if this problem isn't fixed then I'm returning the storm. A phone should nofify you when you receive a message, it's that simple.
    12-10-08 12:18 AM
    I'm having this same problem, and it's driving me crazy. It's completely inconsistent with the sound alerts (sometimes it does it, other times it doesn't). Does anyone know if they are working on this? I rely on the sound to wake me up at night...the vibrate/LED just isn't going to cut it for me...
    12-15-08 08:44 AM
    Just wanted to let you guys know that with .75 I have not run into this at all. Notification works for both emails and txts with or without the screen lit up. I have a feeling that it's the custom profiles you guys might be using that's messing up.

If you're using custom profiles, just switch back to the default one and edit that one. You can change the tones it uses and volume in the profile setup. On top of that, each contact can also have a unique txt sound assigned, which wasn't possible with previous OSs. (this is easily done by editing the contact, similar to when you assign them a custom ringtone)
    12-15-08 08:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD