I'm new to the crackberry forums, and i'm sorry if this issue has been addressed already. Maybe one of you can point me in the right direction. I have a storm 9530 on verizon, and do a LOT of texting. I keep my contact info as comprehensive as possible.

When i go to create a new SMS and chose my contact, I get a popup every time i select a contact with a stored e-mail address asking if i want to send the SMS to their phone number or e-mail. Is there a way to get around this? I just want it to default to my contact's mobile numbers without removing the e-mail address from the contact info.

The way I see it, if I wanted to send something to their e-mail address, I would have chosen e-mail instead of SMS in the first place, right?
    01-26-09 04:56 PM
    If you send multiple SMS to that contacts mobile number it will defalt to that number when it pops up. Just hit the BB Menu button and proceed. Just a matter of seconds if that long.
    01-26-09 05:01 PM
    This has not been the case with me. It still shows a choice between email and mobile.
    01-26-09 05:06 PM
    My Storm stills prompts me to choose as well.

It is a bit redundant though- You have to admit.

To give the option for email vs mobile when you choose SMS.

Just my Two Cents...
    01-26-09 05:08 PM
    I would recommend QuickText QuickText - Communication & Internet BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store for you. It is a dedicated app for texting and it just makes it really easy and fast to text someone.

It is a little pricey @ $7.50 and some people would rather have QuickLaunch $4.99.

I have both and I text alot, so QuickText is something I def. recommend.
    (actually recommend both)

There is a free Trial
    01-26-09 05:41 PM
    I asked the same question and the response I got was that there is no way to automatically make it select the correct number. Kind of a pain but I guess we have to deal with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-09 05:47 PM
    Quicklaunch for the few people I txt and call works good for me.
    01-26-09 05:54 PM
    QuickLaunch also has a SMS feature you can add as an option to the quicklaunch menu (opened with the convenience key or icon) which immediately takes you to a blank sms text or/and any specific contact sms.
    01-26-09 06:04 PM
    I asked the same question and the response I got was that there is no way to automatically make it select the correct number. Kind of a pain but I guess we have to deal with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If I primarily SMS my brothers mobile number, when I go to compose and select his name, his mobile number is already highlighted. The options for his email addresses and work number are still there, just not selected. I just did not see a huge waste of time as others may see it.
    01-26-09 06:42 PM
    I just did not see a huge waste of time as others may see it.
    I understand that it's not a HUGE waste of time, it is just an "sms inconvenience." When composing a new message, I am first greeted by a menu asking which type of message I wish to send. After already choosing an SMS Text in lieu of an e-mail it is just an uneccessary extra step to have to choose not to send this SMS to my contact's e-mail address.

The purpose of the initial post was me hanging onto the hope that there was some type of SMS setting that I could change that would only provide me with phone numbers as destinations for SMS texts. If I wanted to send a text message to an e-mail address from my phone, wouldn't I have just chosen to send an e-mail instead of an SMS?

When I compose a new e-mail and choose a contact I am not given an extra step asking if I would like to send it to a contact's mobile number; their e-mail address just populates the field when I click their name. One would think that the reverse should be true for SMS.

If all hope is lost, can any forum members please let me know how to officially recommend this change in an OS revision?
    01-26-09 08:23 PM
    Messages or SMS and MMS > BB Menu > Compose SMS
    01-26-09 08:36 PM
    Messages or SMS and MMS > BB Menu > Compose SMS
    Same thing. If the contact I choose has an e-mail address stored I'm prompted to choose whether I want the SMS to go to the contact's mobile # or e-mail address, even AFTER using this method to already specify that I want to SMS.
    01-26-09 09:03 PM
    True... its not that inconvenient, but its more inconvenient than it should be.
    If i want to write a SMS text... why would it would it even suggest a home number. I don't even think that's possible.
    They went through the trouble of adding a full portrait keyboard... but left the redundant and erroneous choices in the text messaging field.
    01-26-09 09:06 PM
    Same thing. If the contact I choose has an e-mail address stored I'm prompted to choose whether I want the SMS to go to the contact's mobile # or e-mail address, even AFTER using this method to already specify that I want to SMS.
    Odd.

If you are in a particular email or sms message page, it should direct you to the respective message type if you choose the reply option.

Ordinarily, if you go to contact/messages/sms page general page>push BB menu (green button)> the options to compose email, compose SMS, or whatever else is available will appear. The picked message type box is then opened.

You shouldn't have to choose again.
    01-26-09 09:29 PM
    Odd.

If you are in a particular email or sms message page, it should direct you to the respective message type if you choose the reply option.

Ordinarily, if you go to contact/messages/sms page general page>push BB menu (green button)> the options to compose email, compose SMS, or whatever else is available will appear. The picked message type box is then opened.

You shouldn't have to choose again.
    One would think, eh? I just really can't think of any instance a person would want to send an SMS to an e-mail address when they have the option of sending an e-mail to begin with. Why the extra step? Well enough of my complaining. Does anyone know how I can recommend the change to RIM?
    01-26-09 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD