So i just got the Storm on Friday through Telus and I love the phone itself however im extremely discouraged by my Service Providers lockouts on the device.

I tried sending an extended SMS message however then realized that Telus has limited text messages to 140 characters. There is no option to send MMS messages from my device which normally has a 1000 character limit.

My work blackberry which is through Rogers allows for a EMS message to be sent which splits up the messages after 160 characters and allows for 8 seperate messages through the SMS text app.

I called Telus to enquire as to why this is so and was advised that their Network isnt setup for EMS and MMS. My wife has a LG Keybo through Telus and her phone does both! I was also advised by Telus that if I wanted to send and extended message or pictures to utilize Email....

If i wanted to send an email i would do so however in this case I want to send it via SMS....Not impressed!

/done.

P.S. - Not sure if this is the right place for this however seemed appropriate at the time. If anyone has any suggestions\workarounds for this issue id appreciate any assistance.

Cheers
    05-18-09 12:02 PM
    Take a look into beyond160. Allows the EMS feature. $6.99 here in the CB store.
    As for the MMS, not certain there is a workaround, never looked into it, as it's not something I will use. I will simply send an email.
    05-18-09 12:14 PM
    I feel your pain about the MMS issue with Telus. As I posted in another thread, I used to have a Motorola V710 phone on Telus which could send MMS just fine, but once I upgraded to a BB Pearl and now a BB Storm, I've never been able to MMS since... I don't understand the logic in that at all.
    05-26-09 01:52 PM
    It's just telus being cheap mother **** bastards

they gimp the **** out of our "full" service so they don't have to foot the bandwidth for MMS etc. We are forced to use email which hits on the RIM infrastructure instead. LAME

Telus sucks. but i still hate rogers more
    05-26-09 04:32 PM
    I was pissed to because with my regular Telus Razr phone i could do it all...and now i cant...which makes a difference...sometimes when i'm visiting my grandson..i want to send a quick pic to my daughter back at home...she doesnt always check her email or have access to her hotmail acct..but she ALWAYS has her cell phone on her...so it onlymade sense to send her an mms....now i cant :-( the way they explained it to me is that blackberries use a different tower???? and that they are not able to allow mms through the blackberry towers?? made no sense to me?? i asked if it ever will be available and she said...next year is a major upgrade to the towers?? does anyone else find this excuse lame..i didnt want to be a complainer ..but i figure i'm not the only one complaining now LOL
    05-26-09 04:59 PM
    someone a while ago was saying something about a work around, I think you send an e-mail to the phone # @telus.net or something like that. That might not be the right adress but read around there should be a way.
    05-26-09 05:39 PM
    Take a look into beyond160. Allows the EMS feature. $6.99 here in the CB store.
    As for the MMS, not certain there is a workaround, never looked into it, as it's not something I will use. I will simply send an email.

From my understanding EMS includes support for foreign letters ( ...)
    Beyond160 allows you to type these but strips them when the message is sent. So perhaps Beyond160 really isnt EMS capable. Telus is CDMA correct? Verizon has this same issue.
    05-27-09 04:42 PM
    From my understanding EMS includes support for foreign letters ( ...)
    Beyond160 allows you to type these but strips them when the message is sent. So perhaps Beyond160 really isnt EMS capable. Telus is CDMA correct? Verizon has this same issue.
    Probably an oversight on the part of the developers regarding the foreign text. I don't believe it has anything to do with the CDMA network, just a missing ability in the app.
    05-27-09 04:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD