I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread dedicated to this application. I downloaded it today and it seems to have a lot of neat little functions, such as location tracking, OTA data back-up, a "self-destruct" function, which will wipe the device of all data in case of theft and a few other features.

I've been running the app for the better part of the day now on my .114/.113 hybrid and so far so good. No battery drain and no memory leak.
    03-21-09 09:26 PM
    I just downloaded it and have been playing around with it. I really like the idea of being able to do a self destruct in the event of loosing the device or if it's stolen. Too much sensitive information on there. I tried the audio ping. Pretty loud and obnoxious but it works.
    03-21-09 09:30 PM
    Do you have an OTA link?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 09:32 PM
    Do you have an OTA link?

It's not that simple...first you need to register online at SmrtGuards site...they'll email you instructions on how to set it up

SmrtGuard
    03-21-09 09:34 PM
    I DONT like the idea of storing my data on someone elses servers. Who knows what they will do with it. I back my data up when i sync it with Outlook on a daily basis. The only feature I really see a use for is the ability to wipe your drive in the event of an emergency, however, if you know what youre doing you can recover the wiped data. Being ale to track your phone may seem like a good idea if it is stolen, although it could lead to someone going to get it and possibly getting hurt. I dont expect to be using this.
    03-21-09 09:38 PM
    It seems to be a good app. I hope to use it to replace Roblock that is similar, but has not gotten a Storm version (minor) and does not have GPS working on the Storm (Major). Two support emails to Roblock asking when it might work have gone unanswered.

As for Smrtguard - I have sent them a few comments:

Permissions need to be set at every start after a reboot - similar to Podtrapper - seems to be a Storm quirk.

When entering text in the guardian set up screen and the feedback screen, the keyboard covers the text and there is no way to scroll the screen to see the text.

When sending a Guardian message, the location info is in some technical format - it should be a link to a map. Also IF GPS is available send that - I not then the tower position.

Two things Roblock has that would be nice to see:
    Ability to send a message to the phone to be displayed onscreen.
    Ability to send command via email or SMS not just web. If I lose my phone, I might not have access to a browser but can get a friend to send an email or SMS.

Overall a great product, I hope they continue moving it forward.

03-21-09 09:38 PM
    i seem to be having a little trouble with it.. anytime i click on send audio ping it just sends an email to my phone with an attachment?

and yes I have set it up with a native email address. why I am having this problem?
    03-21-09 10:21 PM
    I put this on both of my storms today and so far no problems at all. I love this idea.
    03-21-09 11:05 PM
    I keep getting connection failed when using the followme feature either in vehicle or foot. Battery pull already done and permissions all set to allow.
    03-21-09 11:06 PM
    I keep getting connection failed when using the followme feature either in vehicle or foot. Battery pull already done and permissions all set to allow.
    I too got that on one of my storms. I did a pull and tried again, no luck. My friend stopped by and I got pulled away for about an hour and when I came back..*poof* right through..so I don't know what to say as far as what worked.
    03-21-09 11:18 PM
    okay this may be dumb, but i am confused about the native email thing. i logged onto BIS and created one, but it hasn't shown up on my phone or in the email settings on my phone. how do i get it to show up? and how so i check that email on my computer??

thanks
    03-21-09 11:38 PM
    If your blackberry e-mail account is set up you will get an icon on your screen to go directly to that e-mail. You can registar the smrtguard with a different e-mail and when you set it up it will find your blackberry e-mail.
    03-21-09 11:49 PM
    thanks! i got it to work, finally. but as someone else mentioned, my audio ping doesn't work, it just sends me an email with a file. i have all permissions allowed...
    03-21-09 11:52 PM
    I got this when installing:

Module with handle [839] and index [0] has no application entry point

so i uninstalled, battery pull, reinstalled, still got Module with handle [839] and index [0] has no application entry point and the followme still a pain. and yes gps is on location on
    03-22-09 08:07 AM
    my call logs and emails are not backing up
    03-22-09 08:29 AM
    i cant log in online... tried everything says i cant be find. but when i go into creating a new account and use the same email it says to use a different email weird.. but it is a beta...
    03-22-09 08:42 AM
    I got this when installing:

Module with handle [839] and index [0] has no application entry point

so i uninstalled, battery pull, reinstalled, still got Module with handle [839] and index [0] has no application entry point and the followme still a pain. and yes gps is on location on
    I got this when I first installed it. I redownloaded and reinstalled OVER the original install and it worked. Dont uninstall/battery pull.
    03-22-09 10:20 AM
    I believe there's been a 'patch' released (v1.01), that has addressed some of the functionality issues people seem to be having with the app. I haven't downloaded it yet, but will definitely give it a try.

https://www.smrtguard.com/smrtgota.jsp

And I do believe a battery pull is recommended after the install

Here's the actual email I received from SmrtGuard.

Dear Beta Users, For those of you that have a "native" BlackBerry email address (blackberry.com or blackberry.net) AND are experiencing the following problem:• Problem using Audio Ping• Problem using Remote Tracking / Locating*• Problem using Remote Self-Destruct Drill We have identified the issue and have a fix for this with v1.01 patch update.IF YOU DO NOT have the described problem, you can ignore this update.Here are the steps to take to fixed the above problem1. Get v1.01 -*https://www.smrtguard.com/smrtgota.jsp2. You will be prompt to reboot your BlackBerry, please do so.3. Once rebooted, go into SmrtGuard Application and navigate the menu About SmrtGuard-> Reactivate4. Enter your activation code. You can find this code on the SmrtGuard website, under Account Tab, listed as "Device Side Activation Code"5. When successfully done so, please manually reboot your BlackBerry by pulling the battery.Sorry for the inconvenience.Thanks
    03-22-09 10:44 AM
    It seems to be a good app. I hope to use it to replace Roblock that is similar, but has not gotten a Storm version (minor) and does not have GPS working on the Storm (Major). Two support emails to Roblock asking when it might work have gone unanswered.

As for Smrtguard - I have sent them a few comments:

Permissions need to be set at every start after a reboot - similar to Podtrapper - seems to be a Storm quirk.

When entering text in the guardian set up screen and the feedback screen, the keyboard covers the text and there is no way to scroll the screen to see the text.

When sending a Guardian message, the location info is in some technical format - it should be a link to a map. Also IF GPS is available send that - I not then the tower position.

Two things Roblock has that would be nice to see:
    Ability to send a message to the phone to be displayed onscreen.
    Ability to send command via email or SMS not just web. If I lose my phone, I might not have access to a browser but can get a friend to send an email or SMS.

Overall a great product, I hope they continue moving it forward.

On entering information into the Guardian Screen, I typed the message in a blank email screen and then copied and pasted the information. This is a quick work around; however, I did send an email via the feedback tab mentioning this flaw.
    03-22-09 11:05 AM
    i cant log in online... tried everything says i cant be find. but when i go into creating a new account and use the same email it says to use a different email weird.. but it is a beta...
    yea same hear man
    03-22-09 11:10 AM
    I get the following error when downloading it.

Uncaught exception: Module with handle [7318] and index [0] has no application entry point

I just saw the answer. Sorry.

My phone is stuck backing up "Call logs" anyone had the same issue?
    Last edited by Venc; 03-22-09 at 11:39 AM.
    03-22-09 11:24 AM
    I have been using Unite for a while and love it. Hate to see it go away. I personally feel more comfortable with my data being stored locally and I can still do the remote wipe as well. I plan to continue using Unite as long as possible.

As far a the location goes I generally keep GPS set to 911 only unless I am using it. Call me what you want, but I feel it is potentially dangerous and irresponsible to leave it on all the time. Who is collecting what about our location? May seem benign now, but who know what it could be used for in the future.
    03-22-09 11:27 AM
    anyone know how to delete your account online?
    03-22-09 12:09 PM
    I think the time of holding the Menu should be increased, I was just trying to change between apps and it called 911. I hanged up the second it started vibrating but they got it and called me back.
    03-22-09 12:39 PM
    so is this a good grab or not
    03-22-09 01:09 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD