i was wondering. ive been a storm 9530 user since december. and well ive been looking at this site almost everyday and i always see the leak update version for the storm. i want to update it but then again im scarred it might mess up my phone. but im getting impatiant with the real update and well i thought there would be an official one every month. but there taking there sweetass time. so yea is it smart for me to update my storm with the leak versions?? if so which update should i do?? cuz there are like a couple to choose from. haha
    please and thank you.
    my first ever post. hahha
    02-23-09 02:20 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

It's dumb not to.
    02-23-09 02:24 AM
    When it comes to doing the updates there is one thing that you must remember, that you can always downgrade if you don't like it. As for the many leaked betas that are available, the benefits outweigh the problems. I am currently running the .103 OS on my storm and I have found it to be fairly more stable for me than the .65 OS that was originally on my device and the .75 OS. Before doing one of the updates, I would read the findings thread for the specific OS to get a feeling to how it is working for others. But like I previously said, if the OS isn't what you want, you can always install another one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 02:30 AM
    You're only missing out on performance gains by not upgrading. Just because it's a "leaked" OS doesn't mean it's faulty. Yes it has bugs, but so did .65 and .75...

A leaked OS was still developed by RIM/BlackBerry and was intended to be used on your phone (so long as you're installing the 9530 version). If I were you I'd go with .103 since it's the last full OS upgrade that's been leaked.

.103 still has the MMS forwarding bug which isn't that horrible to deal with, everything else is rather stable and responsive. If you want to get daring go for the .103/.109 hybrid OS, it's only a couple more steps and the MMS forwarding bug is fixed, plus it's even more responsive.

Always remember, there is a way to get your Berry back if you brick it (white screen, Error 507). Not to mention there are always people on the forums all hours of the day and night to help you out... and feel free to PIN me if you need help.

Despite all my encouragement, I have to remind you to do only what you are comfortable with and what you have time to do. The OS upgrade takes anywhere from 20-60 minutes and can get tricky if something goes wrong. Always install at your own risk and BACK UP YOUR INFO!!
    02-23-09 02:40 AM
    It's dumb not to.
    Don't throw out incorrect advice.

Leaks are not linear progressions towards a next stable release. Each leaked release may or may not fix/correct problems of previous releases in a linear manner.

Sure 4.7.0.90 might fix or upgrade a few specific items, however 4.7.0.99 may focus on other fixes/upgrades which may not mirror or reflect what release .90 focused on. Hence why some people think some releases regress back to older bugs...that's not entirely the case, the fixed code is simply stored in a trunk for a beta or release candidate. Once all objectives are met towards the next official release, they're pulled out and put together for a release candidate.

Many people refer to leaked releases as Beta releases, when in reality more often than not they're Alpha releases. Once all the Alpha testing is done, then they're all combined into Beta, which is when all the updated code in the various alpha versions are combined into a beta release. The beta release is then tested and debugged into a release candidate... and if there are no showstopping bugs in that, then it is released as an official or 'gold' release.

Read through this forum alone and you will find several examples between leaked releases where people rant about how one release fixed an issue, then the next breaks it again. In reality the next release didn't break it, the updated code is just stored safely so nobody else jacks with it. It's only pulled out for another alpha release if for any reason it needs to be tested/troubleshot alongside a related app or piece of code.
    02-23-09 02:49 AM
    Don't throw out incorrect advice.

Leaks are not linear progressions towards a next stable release. Each leaked release may or may not fix/correct problems of previous releases in a linear manner.

Sure 4.7.0.90 might fix or upgrade a few specific items, however 4.7.0.99 may focus on other fixes/upgrades which may not mirror or reflect what release .90 focused on. Hence why some people think some releases regress back to older bugs...that's not entirely the case, the fixed code is simply stored in a trunk for a beta or release candidate. Once all objectives are met towards the next official release, they're pulled out and put together for a release candidate.

Many people refer to leaked releases as Beta releases, when in reality more often than not they're Alpha releases. Once all the Alpha testing is done, then they're all combined into Beta, which is when all the updated code in the various alpha versions are combined into a beta release. The beta release is then tested and debugged into a release candidate... and if there are no showstopping bugs in that, then it is released as an official or 'gold' release.

Read through this forum alone and you will find several examples between leaked releases where people rant about how one release fixed an issue, then the next breaks it again. In reality the next release didn't break it, the updated code is just stored safely so nobody else jacks with it. It's only pulled out for another alpha release if for any reason it needs to be tested/troubleshot alongside a related app or piece of code.
    I totally agree with what you're saying here RMJones. This is one of the best explanations of the leaked OS's and the fixes/bugs with each OS. Hence why VZW hasn't released another official OS yet, the MMS issue, the freezing, resetting, etc. it's different with each release that's been leaked. Hopefully we'll get a nice "gold" release soon and VZW will put it out for the masses!

As for me, I'm happy putting the highest 4.7.0.xxx on my Storm as possible, whether it be alpha, beta, or hybrid!
    02-23-09 02:56 AM
    I was scared too....then I took the plunge figuring if I screwed up someone could help me out on here....so I backed up everything and did it....WOW what a difference .99 is! but I had to configure each of the 5-6 themes I had and that took an entire day, so when .106 came out....I passed cause I don't have time.
    But it is more responsive than .75!
    02-23-09 03:00 AM
    Does that mean that .75 was a `gold` release then ?

02-23-09 03:01 AM
    Yes. 'Gold' or RTM (release to manufacturing) is the final version of the code for general consumption.
    02-23-09 03:09 AM

Technically yes, .75 was a "gold" release because aside from the responsiveness remaining slow, all the features of the phone, SMS, MMS, email, BBM, AIM, etc. worked as they should. If you dig through all the findings threads for .76, .83, .85, .86, .90, .99, and .103, they are all bound to have bugs that would be devastating if VZW released it for the masses and it hit the media.

Just imagine the news headline...

"Verizon Wireless releases new software for their BlackBerry Storm which ruins MMS forwarding." or any one of the other bugs in the leaked OSs... it would just be horrible negative publicity, and only in addition to the negative publicity that shadowed the debut of the Storm running .65

Either or, I'm down with the Storm and new OSs... and all the pros and cons that come with them!
    Last edited by thornem1; 02-23-09 at 03:15 AM.
    02-23-09 03:13 AM
    Yes. 'Gold' or RTM (release to manufacturing) is the final version of the code for general consumption.
    No bugs in that version? Everybody has their own theory on bb releases. I have adopted the install the newest release theory.

All of the leaked versions are improvements somewhere in the OS, and sometimes bugs elsewhere. Yes they go to testers after they are built and then are sometimes leaked to the masses.

Carriers decide after testing if they want to to release it on their network. IF Sprint had the Storm and they released .103 officially it doesn't mean VZW would. They are both CDMA carriers that would run the same OS on the 9530's

Its just up to VZW if they are going to tag one official in my opinion. If they make .103 official then it would have the same bugs as the leaked one

Last edited by grayzweb; 02-23-09 at 03:31 AM.
    02-23-09 03:27 AM
    Technically yes, .75 was a "gold" release because aside from the responsiveness remaining slow, all the features of the phone, SMS, MMS, email, BBM, AIM, etc. worked as they should. If you dig through all the findings threads for .76, .83, .85, .86, .90, .99, and .103, they are all bound to have bugs that would be devastating if VZW released it for the masses and it hit the media.

Just imagine the news headline...

"Verizon Wireless releases new software for their BlackBerry Storm which ruins MMS forwarding." or any one of the other bugs in the leaked OSs... it would just be horrible negative publicity, and only in addition to the negative publicity that shadowed the debut of the Storm running .65

Either or, I'm down with the Storm and new OSs... and all the pros and cons that come with them!
    .75 had sound issues and the camera was absolutely horrible!
    .99 was the only one that had the MMS issue and all of the other ones were Very good for me. I can't think of any devastating bugs in them

The debate goes on... Just giving the OP my 2 cents ..... Try an update if you don't like it then you can go back

02-23-09 03:40 AM
    No bugs in that version?
    Oh I never said anything about bugs. It's been my long term experience that there has *never* been a 100% guaranteed bug free release on any platform. I was simply explaining that because Verizon deemed .75 'official' that it is the equivalent of gold code, although in this case I suppose .65 is the gold and .75 would be sp1 in the current parlance.
    02-23-09 04:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD