It's official, SlingPlayer Mobile for BlackBerry will be available as a public beta starting on December 30th. Sling Media announced early in the year they were working on a version for the BlackBerry, but up until now access to the beta was limited. SlingPlayer Mobile allows you to watch and control your home TV and DVR via your Slingbox (sold seperately).

The following are on Sling's list of recommended devices:
    BlackBerry Bold
    BlackBerry 8820
    BlackBerry Curve 8320
    BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8220
    BlackBerry Pearl 8120
    Sling Media "strongly recommends" a 3G connection. At this time, it appears the BlackBerry Storm is not among the supported devices.
    Last edited by bloodbath18; 12-20-08 at 08:31 PM.
    12-20-08 08:29 PM
    Lets hope this will also work on BB's newest device as well...
    12-20-08 08:35 PM
    There's already a Sling thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/slingbox-storm-117263/

Also, it doesn't look like the Storm will be supported in this version. According to Sling, we can install it and run it, but it won't stream.
    12-20-08 08:37 PM
    2MB of space required for the app to install. WTF Sling?
    12-22-08 08:54 PM
    And SlingPlayer 2.0 on PC. Looks like I'll have to upgrade to the version that requires login.

I'll gladly give up 2mb of memory to it if it works well.
    12-22-08 09:02 PM
    Come on Civic, you have plenty of room.
    12-22-08 09:03 PM
    SlingPlayer mobile for BB is available now. Downloading it now OTA to my Storm, but not expecting it to work based on what's posted on Sling's forum.

BlackBerry OTA

For those that want to try, I had to change my user-agent string to one of the "supported" BBs. Otherwise they autodetect your storm and not provide you the link.
    12-29-08 09:26 PM
    Can you post the direct link to the jad? I have no idea how to change the user agent on the Storm browser

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 09:47 PM
    Well, unfortunately it's a no go.

It installed on the Storm fine.

The program starts fine (except the GUI wasn't designed for the Storm's touch screen)

But just like it was reported on Sling's forums, once I tried to connect to my SlingBox, I received an application error and my Storm reset.

No go until Sling/RIM update compatibility.
    12-29-08 10:01 PM
    Actually I downloaded it and it streamed just fine! It will only launch in compatibility mode, and so the video only shows on the top half of the screen with the suretype keyboard always displayed. The UI is an absolute pain in the *** this way, but I don't care because:

-I FINALLY, after leaving Windows Mobile have some access to live sports on my BB!

-I can't imagine updating the UI for the Storm is that difficult, so I'd imagine with Sling's track record we might see an official client by 2010
    12-29-08 10:13 PM
    Wow, that's great news dgs. Mine only ran in compatibility mode as well, but it reset as soon as I try connecting to my Slingbox.

I'm running .75. Are you running .83/.85? I wonder if that could make a difference.
    12-29-08 10:15 PM
    BTW, the direct link to the jad is:

download (dot) slingmedia (dot) com/player/mobile/bbbeta503/US/SlingPlayer_def_EN_US.jad

Someone please assist as I don't have enough posts
    12-29-08 10:16 PM
    Wow, that's great news dgs. Mine only ran in compatibility mode as well, but it reset as soon as I try connecting to my Slingbox.

I'm running .75. Are you running .83/.85? I wonder if that could make a difference.
    I'm running .83
    12-29-08 10:17 PM
    Actually I downloaded it and it streamed just fine! It will only launch in compatibility mode, and so the video only shows on the top half of the screen with the suretype keyboard always displayed. The UI is an absolute pain in the *** this way, but I don't care because:

-I FINALLY, after leaving Windows Mobile have some access to live sports on my BB!

-I can't imagine updating the UI for the Storm is that difficult, so I'd imagine with Sling's track record we might see an official client by 2010
    How's the video quality? Better than the Youtube app?
    I'm running .83
    Hmm, perhaps I'll have to take the plunge into .85 then. Sling is one of those apps I miss dearly from WinMo.
    12-29-08 10:18 PM
    Can you post the direct link to the jad? I have no idea how to change the user agent on the Storm browser

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Try this:
    download.slingmedia.com/player/mobile/bbbeta503/US/SlingPlayer_def_EN_US.jad
    12-29-08 10:19 PM
    How's the video quality? Better than the Youtube app?
    It was pretty much the same as I remeber it from WinMO, which is generally better than youtube. It is very bandwith sensitive, and right now I'm in an EVDO fringe area so it skips alot
    12-29-08 10:20 PM
    It was pretty much the same as I remeber it from WinMO, which is generally better than youtube. It is very bandwith sensitive, and right now I'm in an EVDO fringe area so it skips alot
    I tried to use capture it to take a screenshot but it only shows the upper screen without the video playing
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    12-29-08 10:38 PM
    I live in a crappy reception area, so I took a quick drive to an area with decent strength. The Slingplayer was playing, however, it buffered, played for 30 seconds or so, and then buffered again. This keep repeating, even in a good signal area.

I'm running .85, and I didn't experience any reboots.

I tried using the Bold's SPM first, but that wouldn't work at all.
    12-29-08 10:45 PM
    I live in a crappy reception area, so I took a quick drive to an area with decent strength. The Slingplayer was playing, however, it buffered, played for 30 seconds or so, and then buffered again. This keep repeating, even in a good signal area.

I'm running .85, and I didn't experience any reboots.

I tried using the Bold's SPM first, but that wouldn't work at all.
    How did you select which SPM you downloaded? Which one worked for you? Is it the .jad file that has been posted?
    12-29-08 10:52 PM
    I tried to use capture it to take a screenshot but it only shows the upper screen without the video playing
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Maybe you could upload a video to youtube?
    12-29-08 10:52 PM
    How did you select which SPM you downloaded? Which one worked for you? Is it the .jad file that has been posted?
    I downloaded "User Agent Switcher" for FireFox, and changed my user agent to be a 9000 or 8800, as I wanted. I then went to the BB site to download the JAR file and it gave me a link.
    12-29-08 10:55 PM
    I downloaded "User Agent Switcher" for FireFox, and changed my user agent to be a 9000 or 8800, as I wanted. I then went to the BB site to download the JAR file and it gave me a link.
    download.slingmedia.com/player/mobile/bbbeta503/US/SlingPlayer_def_EN_US.jad

That is the one you want to download for the Storm, as I said the Bold's didn't work for me.
    12-29-08 10:56 PM
    The 8800 worked? I just downloaded the file from download.slingmedia.com/player/mobile/bbbeta503/US/SlingPlayer_def_EN_US.jad not sure what version it's for. Going to try it.
    12-29-08 10:58 PM
93 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD