The Storm2 is the first phone I've ever had with a SIM card. What exactly is it for? I researched it and it looks like it's there because the S2 is a "world" phone, but even after checking out Wikipedia for SIM card, I guess I just don't understand the value of it.

Sorry if it seems like a dumb question (or indeed is a dumb question). Can I just take it out?

I have friends on AT&T that, when they get a new phone, put the SIM from their old phone into the new one, and it has all their contacts on it (I think).

Thanks for any insight and knowledge - links to any information is appreciated.
    04-08-10 06:14 PM
    most other countries are strictly GSM providers(sims cards) so you can basicly go to another country and get a sim card and use your phone on another carrier... even here in the states on att.
    04-08-10 06:16 PM
    yes and it does store contacts on it but you have to have the settings in the phone set properly to be able to do that.
    04-08-10 06:17 PM
    most other countries are strictly GSM providers(sims cards) so you can basicly go to another country and get a sim card and use your phone on another carrier... even here in the states on att.
    Yep. If you wanted to use your phone "unlocked" on ATT, you would use the sim slot.

As for the current Verizon SIM, they have partnerships around the world so that even if you didn't buy a local sim from the country you went to, you could use your phone...

Example: I went to Australia, and though my storm is unlocked, I simply added an international data plan and I was able to use my S2 like normal with the "stock" sim card on Australia's Vodafone network.
    04-08-10 06:18 PM
    If you are on a GSM carrier (like AT&T for ex), SIM cards make life really easy. Just have to pop it into a another phone and you're instantly up and running - no need to call the carrier and get them to change the phone associated with your account.
    04-08-10 06:24 PM
    Thanks everyone. Good info.
    04-09-10 06:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD