I have owned many a cell phone in my young 22 years. One thing I always notice is how signal strength fluctuates from phone to phone. This is my first smartphone and I can't help but notice the boost in signal strength with this phone. Usually the difference in strength is negligible from phone to phone. But, with my Storm it is night and day different. What really makes this even better is the fact that I live in the mountains and used to get 0 bars to 1 bar routinely. I have full bars at all times now! What allows for the differences in phones to receive a better signal than others?
    01-17-09 01:47 PM
    Is this your first Verizon phone? If so, then Verizon may simply have better coverage in your area than your previous carrier. I don't know that CDMA is inherently better than GSM, although I'm sure we'll get people vehemently arguing both positions. If you've always been with Verizon, then perhaps Verizon coincidentally improved their coverage around the time you bought your Storm.

I don't think there is anything in the Storm that would make it inherently any better or worse than any other CDMA phone at receiving a signal. But I don't own a Storm, so I'm hardly an expert.
    01-17-09 04:23 PM
    I would have to agree with JeffH. I could see a slight difference in signal strength between devices, maybe 1 or 2 bars, but going from 0 -1 bars to 5 would either be a carrier change or major upgrade. Especially in the mountains, coverage like that would hard to find on any cell phone carrier.
    01-17-09 05:08 PM
    Verizon service is everywhere almost...I live in FoCo Colorado....still getting service at all the resorts even backcountry
    01-17-09 05:57 PM
    I have also noticed increased signal strength switching from the bb curve to the storm. I did however move from T-mobile to Verizon when I went to the storm and that is most likely the cause of the signal improvement.
    01-17-09 06:02 PM
    I definitely get more bars than I did on my omnia. Bars aren't necessarily indicative of signal strength though AFAIK.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-09 06:15 PM
    If my count is correct this is now my 4th phone, and all have been on Verizon. I started with one of the first LG flips equipped with a camera, it was the one with the little slider shutter on it, anyone remember that? Then went to a Motorola flip, then to LG Chocolate 2. Obviously db meter is much more accurate when it comes to signal strength, but it isn't possible to find db reading on the chocolate and the phone isn't activated anymore so I can't compare at this point. I will say this, I am in the mountains, but it isn't completely in the sticks. I'm in Boone, NC which is about an hour from winston-salem and 2 hours from Charlotte. I have 3G coverage, too. I rent a house in a valley though and with the chocolate I would estimate that I would average 1 bar of service, with service cutting out routinely and also spiking to 2 bars also. With my Storm though I get 4 bars consistently, sometimes dropping to 3, and hitting 5 bars every now and then. To me, that is a noticeable bump in reception. I want to know what technology allows for one phone on the same network to have noticeably better reception than another on the same network.
    01-17-09 06:38 PM
    I have to agree Ive always been with verizon and live on the indiana/illinois line all of our verizon phones have had decent signal but I being the only one with a smart phone have never had signal inside our home until the storm I now have 3/4 to full signal. in the past I have had treo's and blackberry's and currently also still have an active curve but the storm has more bars constantly.
    01-17-09 06:50 PM
    as with any radio.. it could very well be a boosted connection with a bit more battery power dedicated to sending/receiving signals. Take standard embedded wifi in a laptop. Range is typically good around the house or near an access point. But take that laptop for a walk down the street and you'll probably drop signal fairly quick.
    If you amp that same laptop with say a 500ma wifi card.. suddenly you can probably walk around the block with your laptop.

I don't know squat about the storm.. but sounds like there might be more power dedicated to the radio.
    01-17-09 07:00 PM
    as with any radio.. it could very well be a boosted connection with a bit more battery power dedicated to sending/receiving signals. Take standard embedded wifi in a laptop. Range is typically good around the house or near an access point. But take that laptop for a walk down the street and you'll probably drop signal fairly quick.
    If you amp that same laptop with say a 500ma wifi card.. suddenly you can probably walk around the block with your laptop.

I don't know squat about the storm.. but sounds like there might be more power dedicated to the radio.
    Could be why alot of us are sucking down our batteries like crazy.
    01-17-09 07:19 PM
    That would make sense. I tried to look up specs for the 9530 to see the radio information but I couldn't find it listed, only the bands it operates on. I will definitely sacrifice some battery power if I get better reception though.
    01-17-09 07:25 PM
    different phones would have different types of antennas too i think. being your first smart phone, i would assume it to be better than any previously owned phones.
    i know mine was.
    01-17-09 07:34 PM
    Don't have a Storm but I have visited your beautiful city and area the last three summers. My VZW Moto W385 gets good service there too but I don't remember the number of bars it had there.

Great college and football team there too!

Love the Daniel Boone Inn too!!!

If you haven't tried it yet, the new Cuban restaurant is great too.
    01-17-09 08:08 PM
    Lightninrod, that's good to hear. I'm glad you have enjoy your visits! You need to make your way up for a weekend in late September for a football game...you will never regret it. Was the Cuban restaurant named Gol Express? If so, I think it has since closed.
    01-17-09 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD