First off let me say I have been a loyal RIM user for a long time and have family members that work there. That said...

I have tried hard to like my Storm 2, but I am totally sick of it and here are all the reasons why.

1. The browser is CRAP. I have been waiting patiently for the webkit browser... guess I will be waiting forever. Opera Mini is better, but still doesnt work right.

2. My Wifi Won't work. My wife iPhone 4 connected to our wifi next work in 10 seconds. 30 minutes later, mine still wont work. Called verizons worthless support who after 20 minutes told me my router doesnt work.. even though this laptop I am typing on is on wifi and the iphone was on wifi. WTF. So then he tells me to call the router manufacture and RIM. So I call rim and they want a credit card to even speak with support. WTF... screw that.

3. The Apps SUCK. I downloaded a golfgps app because i was impresesd with it on the iPhone.. guess what, the RIM version has less than 1/2 the features... it crashes all the time and it is pretty much worthless. I think I made it though 3 rounds of golf since I have owned it. CRAP

4. 256 meg ram and 128 meg for app storage. Nuff said.

5. It is a chore to answer the phone. Half the time my freaking button wont work, or if the phone is flipped, it wont answer period.. and won't flip back. I have missed 4 calls in the last few days because the stupid phone wont answer.

RIM has totally lost touch with what a consumer wants.

I HATE apple with a passion, but I have to say that the iPhone 4 blows the crap out of any BB I have ever used. The Torch is a joke.

The only reason I still have a BB is because BBM. I use it to keep in touch with family and friends in canada. IF BMM didnt exist, I would have been gone a long time ago.

Sorry for the RANT, I am really not happy with RIM right now.
    08-24-10 07:53 PM
    Maybe if you went over to Verizon the phone might work, I have none of your problems with mine. Maybe its T-Mobile that Sucks.
    08-24-10 11:25 PM
    First off let me say I have been a loyal RIM user for a long time and have family members that work there. That said...

I have tried hard to like my Storm 2, but I am totally sick of it and here are all the reasons why.

1. The browser is CRAP. I have been waiting patiently for the webkit browser... guess I will be waiting forever. Opera Mini is better, but still doesnt work right.

2. My Wifi Won't work. My wife iPhone 4 connected to our wifi next work in 10 seconds. 30 minutes later, mine still wont work. Called verizons worthless support who after 20 minutes told me my router doesnt work.. even though this laptop I am typing on is on wifi and the iphone was on wifi. WTF. So then he tells me to call the router manufacture and RIM. So I call rim and they want a credit card to even speak with support. WTF... screw that.

3. The Apps SUCK. I downloaded a golfgps app because i was impresesd with it on the iPhone.. guess what, the RIM version has less than 1/2 the features... it crashes all the time and it is pretty much worthless. I think I made it though 3 rounds of golf since I have owned it. CRAP

5. It is a chore to answer the phone. Half the time my freaking button wont work, or if the phone is flipped, it wont answer period.. and won't flip back. I have missed 4 calls in the last few days because the stupid phone wont answer.

I HATE apple with a passion, but I have to say that the iPhone 4 blows the crap out of any BB I have ever used. The Torch is a joke.

The only reason I still have a BB is because BBM. I use it to keep in touch with family and friends in canada. IF BMM didnt exist, I would have been gone a long time ago.

I'm not here to try to convince you to feel differently...but maybe bring you off of the ledge a bit...

1. Can't argue with you there. The Internet browsing is easily the weakest link in the BlackBerry experience (this isn't specific to Storm 2 either). For me, it's not really a deal breaker, since my top priority is email, but I can see how it could be.

2. My WIFI works great, I use it everyday at work and home, and it rarely takes more than a minute or two to connect. One very easy way to rule out a router issue vs. a device issue would be to try to connect to a different router -- if you get the same thing, you may just have a "lemon" device. If it connects to a different router just fine, I think you have your answer.

FYI (and again, I'm not saying this is the case in your situation), I have seen plenty of times where one device will connect fine to a router, and another one will not and it IS the fault of the router itself. Could be MAC filtering, maxed out of IP address, or sometimes DHCP fails to work correctly (usually a reboot will fix this), so existing device work fine, but new devices can't obtain an IP address.

3. the iPhone has the app experience pretty much nailed down, but overall I've been pretty happy with most of the apps I've used on my Storm. There are quite a few golf GPS apps out there for BB, if it were me I'd try a few others... At the very least, I wouldn't let one disappointing app taint my view of an entire device. Some developers simply put more energy into their iPhone products, not much we can do about that.

4. This does seem to be the primary limiting factor for OS 6 compatibility (which was never promised nor more than a concept when the Storm 2 came out), but has the amount of system app memory really hindered you from using the device at all in it's current OS version? I have a ton of apps installed and still have over 90MB free.

5. I know what you're talking about...I just hit the actual green phone button as opposed to trying to get the phone orientation to flip to answer using the "virtual" button that appears on the call alert screen. I have to admit, I don't understand why the call alert screen even has a landscape mode, especially since the actual phone application doesn't.

I dunno, I've used an iPhone too, and for me, after the initial awe over how cool the UI and web browser looked wore off, I realized that I really do prefer what I can do on my Blackberry. Basically, the BB features I would have to give up didn't out weigh the features the iPhone could provide...for me. You, however, may have a completely different idea of what you want to get out of it.
    08-24-10 11:49 PM
    Maybe if you went over to Verizon the phone might work, I have none of your problems with mine. Maybe its T-Mobile that Sucks.
    I agree 100% - I have NONE of those problems; although I don't have a golf app, so that may be a real complaint. It almost seems you don't even own a Storm2; another "one post wonder" that has been a "loyal" Rim user for a long time, yet has never even posted ONCE on this website before and you use that first opportunity to bash RIM...you should have a GREAT time at the next family reunion!
    08-25-10 06:31 AM
    For golf, try nRange. It works great on my Storm 2 (I use it once a week at lots of courses with zero issues). I did have wifi issues with my first Storm 2 and had to get it swapped out. The new one has zero wifi issues. Apps are definitely superior on the iPhone, no argument there. And yes, the browser is less than ideal.
    08-25-10 07:05 AM
    I agree 100% - I have NONE of those problems; although I don't have a golf app, so that may be a real complaint. It almost seems you don't even own a Storm2; another "one post wonder" that has been a "loyal" Rim user for a long time, yet has never even posted ONCE on this website before and you use that first opportunity to bash RIM...you should have a GREAT time at the next family reunion!
    Well, first off, If you guys read my post, you would see I was on the phone with VERIZON. I had a pearl, then curve with T-mobile before moving to Verizon 6 months ago. I am not really sure how to change that info on my avatar. I didnt see it in user CP.

I have been a member here for a while, just haven't posted. I actually thought I had before, but I guess not.

FYI, my family gets very mad at me when I point out how outdated the storm2 and even torch are compared to the competition. Personally, I really like the Samsung Galaxy S class phones with the AMOLED screens. 4.0 is the sweet spot IMO. I wish the storm3 would have that.

As for another golf app. I tried several, this one is the best -- but again, it is crap compared to the iphone version and it keeps crashing.

I have owned my Storm 2 for 6 months now, and I am really pissed that it is obsolete and will not ever get a decent browser. I knew about OS6 a LONG time ago -- I would imagine RIM knew about it for at least 2 years. Long before the Storm 2 was created.

If Rim really does plan 3 years out, why the **** is the storm 2 not able to run os6? Who thinks 256ram is sufficient? It would cost what.. $2 for a gig of ram in this things? Then we Storm 2 owners would not be screwed with a crappy browser. Personally I don't mind OS5. I could use it for another year, but the browser SUCKS.

Also, why is it that BWeather can do Pinch Zoom, but nothing else can? Why can't a third party browser do pinch zoom?
    Last edited by netviper; 08-25-10 at 07:33 AM.
    08-25-10 07:31 AM
    I can understand how netviper feels. I'm a long time blackberry user and have been pretty disappointed with the Storm 2. I'm on Verizon and have some of the same problems. The phone functionality in particular is terrible, as even after software upgrades the dedicted phone buttons often don't work well. Also, I have problems punching in buttons after I'm connected (e.g., input voicemail password) in that usually the first press doesn't seem to register. The phone is slow to flip from to/from landscape, and often gets hung up on various applications (happening a lot more often lately)...I've never heard an Iphone user saying they had to reset their phone because it froze up (of course, they can't do a battery pull, and a replaceable battery is one of the benefits of the BB). The web browser is awful, apps are more limited and have less features than Iphone/android. The wifi icon is often grey even when our laptops and my daughter's Ipod Touch are connected just fine. RIM's efforts to capture the consumer market have been pretty inept so far, and I'm concerned that they may have turned off a lot of developers for good. If my employer supported Iphone (which I understand is coming) or Android phones, I probably would have swiched by now (well. maybe not the Iphone unless Verizon gets it). I bought the Storm 2 right after it came out so have a while before my new every two kicks in, but I'll be evaluating my options at that time. I haven't ruled out the Storm 3, but it will have to be a big step up from Storm 2 for me to consider if Iphone comes to Verizon (by then the Iphone 5 will likely have fixed the antenna problem).
    08-25-10 07:46 AM
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. We all have had individual experiences with our Storm2s. I was getting to the point of wanting to switch, and possibly even looking at an Android device (Droid X or Incredible) even though I hate Android. That's how bad it was getting for me.

However, I stopped in to a Verizon store (finally) to play with a Droid X this past weekend. GOOD GOD, the Droid X was horrible! First of all, if I wanted a phone that big, I'd just get a satellite phone. Same thing, right? Second, the particular phone I played with was lagging as bad as my Storm2 has ever lagged. Third, no SureType...which I can use about as fast as that dude on BGR that beat the world texting record (just posted today, I believe).

Anyway, it just further solidified that the ONLY phone I will even consider leaving Storm2 for at this point is Storm3 (depending on specs) or a Verizon iPhone (if we get one soon...January?) Android can suck a fat one.
    08-25-10 07:53 AM
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. We all have had individual experiences with our Storm2s. I was getting to the point of wanting to switch, and possibly even looking at an Android device (Droid X or Incredible) even though I hate Android. That's how bad it was getting for me.

However, I stopped in to a Verizon store (finally) to play with a Droid X this past weekend. GOOD GOD, the Droid X was horrible! First of all, if I wanted a phone that big, I'd just get a satellite phone. Same thing, right? Second, the particular phone I played with was lagging as bad as my Storm2 has ever lagged. Third, no SureType...which I can use about as fast as that dude on BGR that beat the world texting record (just posted today, I believe).

Anyway, it just further solidified that the ONLY phone I will even consider leaving Storm2 for at this point is Storm3 (depending on specs) or a Verizon iPhone (if we get one soon...January?) Android can suck a fat one.
    I haven't tried the Droid X, but a screen that big cannot be good for battery life.

If you are worried about no SureType, it sound like it is going away anyway.
    08-25-10 08:27 AM
    I went from the Storm 2 to the Droid X. The battery life is actually pretty good. You'd be surprised.

What golf app are you referring to? The one that I had on my S2 was greenfinder and it was awesome! Give that one a shot.

For the browser, have you tried Bolt or Opera Mini??

What OS are you running on your phone?

As far as the wifi goes, get into the router settings and change the channel of it, that should take care of your problem. If not , it may have something to do with your security settings, as was stated above.

What type of APPS are you looking for?

I never had problems answering the phone. Does the phone seem to be lagging at all for you? How often do you do a reboot? Although the memory management is MUCH improved from the S1 it can still get low.
    08-25-10 10:01 AM
    EDIT: post fail. Disregard
    08-25-10 10:30 AM
    I went from the Storm 2 to the Droid X. The battery life is actually pretty good. You'd be surprised.

What golf app are you referring to? The one that I had on my S2 was greenfinder and it was awesome! Give that one a shot.

For the browser, have you tried Bolt or Opera Mini??

What OS are you running on your phone?

As far as the wifi goes, get into the router settings and change the channel of it, that should take care of your problem. If not , it may have something to do with your security settings, as was stated above.

What type of APPS are you looking for?

I never had problems answering the phone. Does the phone seem to be lagging at all for you? How often do you do a reboot? Although the memory management is MUCH improved from the S1 it can still get low.
    I am using Golf Logix.

I reboot the phone all the time.. battery pull.

I use Opera Mini.. it has an annoying bug in it that still isnt fixed. I didn't like bolt. Neither work excellent on all sites. Especially forum sites. Wish they could pinch zoom since it is obviously possible on the Storm2.
    Last edited by netviper; 08-25-10 at 11:45 AM.
    08-25-10 11:36 AM
    Why bother telling us about it? There are a few people here that get way too excited about post like these. If you don't like your phone, go get a different one. I don't think anybody besides you really cares what kind of phone you have. Find one that makes you happy.
    08-25-10 12:50 PM
    Why bother telling us about it? There are a few people here that get way too excited about post like these. If you don't like your phone, go get a different one. I don't think anybody besides you really cares what kind of phone you have. Find one that makes you happy.
    Very helpful
    08-25-10 01:07 PM
    OP, I feel your pain, I got sick of my Storm 2 and bought an Incredible. Storm was more than adequate based upon what I knew, until I took the plunge. After using this phone for two weeks, each day it is unlikely that I will ever go back to BB, unless the Storm 3 is ridiculous. Not sure about the Droid X, but the incredible has zero lag, ever. Activesync for Outlook exchange is far better for Android than over BIS. Everything just works, GPS, I'm rooted and have free wifi hotspot, MP3 downloads like Limewire, you name it, and the web, never thought I needed anything more for what I do, but boy was I mistaken. Double tap to zoom in and fit to screen, Iphone doesn't even do that. The Incredible is amazing, only thing I would switch to would be and EVO 4G, but I'm not leavin VZW.
    08-25-10 01:30 PM

I feel you man, my iPod Safari works faster and better than Opera Mini.
    08-25-10 01:33 PM
    I can understand how netviper feels. I'm a long time blackberry user and have been pretty disappointed with the Storm 2. I'm on Verizon and have some of the same problems. The phone functionality in particular is terrible, as even after software upgrades the dedicted phone buttons often don't work well. Also, I have problems punching in buttons after I'm connected (e.g., input voicemail password) in that usually the first press doesn't seem to register. The phone is slow to flip from to/from landscape, and often gets hung up on various applications (happening a lot more often lately)...I've never heard an Iphone user saying they had to reset their phone because it froze up (of course, they can't do a battery pull, and a replaceable battery is one of the benefits of the BB). The web browser is awful, apps are more limited and have less features than Iphone/android. The wifi icon is often grey even when our laptops and my daughter's Ipod Touch are connected just fine. RIM's efforts to capture the consumer market have been pretty inept so far, and I'm concerned that they may have turned off a lot of developers for good. If my employer supported Iphone (which I understand is coming) or Android phones, I probably would have swiched by now (well. maybe not the Iphone unless Verizon gets it). I bought the Storm 2 right after it came out so have a while before my new every two kicks in, but I'll be evaluating my options at that time. I haven't ruled out the Storm 3, but it will have to be a big step up from Storm 2 for me to consider if Iphone comes to Verizon (by then the Iphone 5 will likely have fixed the antenna problem).
    Honestly, what O/S version are you and netviper using? The newer releases have stopped the "buttons" from freezing up and typing should be effortless, both holding the phone and on a flat surface. The landscape-to-portrait-to landscape should be fast and smooth. My wi-fi works fine. The browser is slow, but VERY usable and that should be no surprise as that has been a BB "tradition" well known before any of these phones were purchased. I too, purchased my S2 on 10/29, as soon as they came out; even with .320 it was OK, but with the upgrades, I have really had no problems. I must be a lucky one!
    08-25-10 02:02 PM
    I will concur with that, after my fifth replacement, my buttons worked 95% of the time, never had one issue with wifi (connecting to my N router), I ran a hybrid based off .713, and lag was minimal to none most of the time. Never dropped calls and 3g coverage was always great. Before I sold it, the phone basically functioned as it was designed to, and was a nice device.
    08-25-10 02:06 PM
    I dont have any problems with mine
    08-25-10 02:11 PM
    Honestly, what O/S version are you and netviper using? The newer releases have stopped the "buttons" from freezing up and typing should be effortless, both holding the phone and on a flat surface. The landscape-to-portrait-to landscape should be fast and smooth. My wi-fi works fine. The browser is slow, but VERY usable and that should be no surprise as that has been a BB "tradition" well known before any of these phones were purchased. I too, purchased my S2 on 10/29, as soon as they came out; even with .320 it was OK, but with the upgrades, I have really had no problems. I must be a lucky one!
    Using 5.0.0.713

I should note I have also had several problems with the GPS not working with Google Maps. Sometimes I have to load Blackberry Maps, then acquire satellites and then go back and load google maps.
    08-25-10 02:13 PM
    I'm using .713 as well. The sticky/nonfunctional key issue isn't as common as it used to be, but still happens. Don't have the GPS problem that Netviper described. My biggest frustration of late is having applications lock up (Slacker, Stitcher), sometimes locking up my entire phone and requiring a battery pull (with a 5-10 minute reboot, why on earth does it take so long?). I'm downloading apps through appworld so presume they have been tested.

Don't mean to be slamming the phone. It certainly does some things well, but just wanted to point out that it wasn't just one user having issues.
    08-26-10 08:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD