I also look stupid infront of my iPhart friends who are showing me cool apps that I can't get.
    Funny how people can ridicule the iPhone while at the same time admitting it's better than the Storm.

I am a BB developer, I loved my Curve but I'm finding my Storm 9500 with .100 and loosened screws and paper under the battery very hard to like.

Every time I use my IPod Touch it reminds me how right Apple got it and how laughable RIM's effort to compete was (30 seconds with mobile Safari is all you need to know)..

IMO nobody in their right mind would try to claim the Storm is in any way better, or even close to, the iPhone.. Apple gets it RIM doesn't - period,

Having said that I'd rather have my Curve 8320 than either the iPhone or Storm because it is a superior email tool which is the only thing BlackBerry has ever really had going for it and which the Storm totally isn't.

I don't think touch screens will ever be as good as physical keyboards because it is so hard to develop "finger memory" with no tactile feedback (and no the click gimmick doesn't count and doesn't help.. I'm much quicker typing on an iPhone with about the same or better accuracy, the click slows me down but doesn't improve accuracy so why bother?)

I used to enjoy emailing from my Curve, now I dread having to type a reply, the reality is the Storm is a huge fail in every way.. spend 5 minutes with the iPhone/iPod Touch and you'll realize the Storm is nothing more than a feeble me-too effort from a company that doesn't get it and doesn't care.

ok, I feel slightly better now..
    02-03-09 11:18 PM
    Safari doesn't work for 30 seconds...

Seriously.
    02-03-09 11:20 PM
    Try a Bold.
    02-03-09 11:26 PM
    Safari doesn't work for 30 seconds...

Seriously.
    safari works pretty much perfectly on my ipod touch, rendering exactly like my PC would, except flash, which adobe is prioritizing for apple to implement
    02-03-09 11:38 PM
    Funny how people can ridicule the iPhone while at the same time admitting it's better than the Storm.

I am a BB developer, I loved my Curve but I'm finding my Storm 9500 with .100 and loosened screws and paper under the battery very hard to like.

Every time I use my IPod Touch it reminds me how right Apple got it and how laughable RIM's effort to compete was (30 seconds with mobile Safari is all you need to know)..

IMO nobody in their right mind would try to claim the Storm is in any way better, or even close to, the iPhone.. Apple gets it RIM doesn't - period,

Having said that I'd rather have my Curve 8320 than either the iPhone or Storm because it is a superior email tool which is the only thing BlackBerry has ever really had going for it and which the Storm totally isn't.

I don't think touch screens will ever be as good as physical keyboards because it is so hard to develop "finger memory" with no tactile feedback (and no the click gimmick doesn't count and doesn't help.. I'm much quicker typing on an iPhone with about the same or better accuracy, the click slows me down but doesn't improve accuracy so why bother?)

I used to enjoy emailing from my Curve, now I dread having to type a reply, the reality is the Storm is a huge fail in every way.. spend 5 minutes with the iPhone/iPod Touch and you'll realize the Storm is nothing more than a feeble me-too effort from a company that doesn't get it and doesn't care.

Hi troll. Bye troll.

Wal-mart has everyday low prices on 1 liter bottles of Haterade. Check it out.

iPhone? Yeah. They got it right. can you explain to me how after 4 years of development time, 2 hardware builds, and over 100 OS builds, it still can't send a picture message?

Yeah, figure that out Mr. Smart iPhone dude.

You don't do anything for RIM, liar.

Doesn't care? Yeah, I'm sure the best selling smart phone company in the world doesn't care. In other news, almost every bug has been fixed in the Storm's OS, a feat that took Apple 100 OS builds and two hardware builds, and 4 years to complete.

Oh, nearly forgot one thing. The iPhone isn't a smartphone. Not at all. Not even kinda. It's a touchscreen with a full web browser aimed at 14 year old girls with, like, totally OMFG! tight jeans on, so they can like, totally listen to indie bands from like, Myspace.
    02-03-09 11:42 PM
    Actually Safari works extremely well and I use it extensively on my Touch via WiFi, it is an absolute masterpiece compared with the the Storm browser.

Regarding the Bold, yes.. don't get me wrong I still love my Curve (more than I would an iPhone) and will probably upgrade to the 8900 or similar, I bought a Storm so I could develop a decent Storm version of one of my applications and I'm still doing that, I'm just dismayed by how poorly conceived it is as a touchscreen device and puzzled why RIM would risk so much damage to their reputation by releasing it.

Anyway, just venting since CrackBerry has kindly provided a place to do it
    02-03-09 11:43 PM
    You don't do anything for RIM, liar.
    I didn't say I worked for RIM, I develop 3rd-party software and enterprise apps for Blackberrys.. I'm not an Apple fan-boy, just a disappointed Storm user.. and frankly having gone from .78 to .100 I would disagree with your assertion that RIM have fixed all (or even most) of the problems in the latest leaked OS.

Cheers!
    02-03-09 11:46 PM
    I didn't say I worked for RIM, I develop 3rd-party software and enterprise apps for Blackberrys.. I'm not an Apple fan-boy, just a disappointed Storm user.. and frankly having gone from .78 to .100 I would disagree with your assertion that RIM have fixed all (or even most) of the problems in the latest leaked OS.

Cheers!
    So you are saying that a beta OS, that has not been designed to be released because of the issues in it, is disappointing.... wow, that is absolutely shocking...

Never heard of software companies creating several builds so they can test and fix the problems?
    02-03-09 11:48 PM
    safari works pretty much perfectly on my ipod touch, rendering exactly like my PC would, except flash, which adobe is prioritizing for apple to implement
    It never crashes on you? I like the Safari performance and all, but ours crashes quite a bit. Usually it takes a lot longer than 30 seconds, but sometimes it crashes right away.
    02-03-09 11:51 PM
    It never crashes on you? I like the Safari performance and all, but ours crashes quite a bit. Usually it takes a lot longer than 30 seconds, but sometimes it crashes right away.
    Hundreds of hours on several iPhones and Touches... I have yet to see Safari crash. FTW?
    02-03-09 11:58 PM
    No it honestly has never crashed on me (as far as I can recall), but even if it did crash it's still a lot better than the BB browser, it does Javascript properly, CSS works it even does AJAX but more to the point the "pinch" multi-touch makes it so easy and efficient to use on a small screen. Really years ahead of RIM's effort (I'm really surprised they didn't ditch their old fashioned browser for the Storm and go with something like webkit, just more evidence for what a poorly designed knee-**** reaction the Storm was).
    02-03-09 11:58 PM

I've spent long enough with my gf's original iPhone and her new 3g to know several things:

Mobile Safari is the browser to beat on any device. That's not even up for debate.

Media playback capabilities, again Apple gets the win here (the iPhone is just an iPod with phone capabilities after all)

I do not like Apple's method of doing business, which will always prevent me from owning an Apple product.

I'm faster on my Storm typing than I am on my gf's iPhone 3g

I'm faster and more accurate than my best friend, now using my gf's original iPhone.

Now since I've not had any problems adapting to the Storm's touchscreen, it gets the win hands down in communications over the iPhone. It's a Blackberry at the core. I don't do physical keyboards well at all. And trying to cram a full keyboard on a cell phone with keys the size of pinheads has driven me to touchscreens only. So no Curve or Bold for me.

The screen: Storm.

Ease of use: iPhone (come on, kids can grasp an iPhone)

Stability (for me): Storm. I don't have random reboots, VSOD, Media Card not inserted, battery life issues, battery pulls (last time I pulled the battery was after loading .99) or 'slow' workings. But in my apartment my gf's 3g connectivity is spotty enough she has to use the wifi while I maintain full bars (2 blocks from the University of Penn's campus in Philadelphia so we're not rural). I've never dropped a call while she still drops calls.

The iPhone is a good device for what it's designed for: media and simplicity. But when it's time to communicate, all Blackberries put the iPhone at its place: the kiddie table. And for me, my personal preferences and style, the Storm is the 'berry for me.
    02-04-09 12:16 AM
    I'm faster on my Storm typing than I am on my gf's iPhone 3g

I'm faster and more accurate than my best friend, now using my gf's original iPhone.
    Maybe (almost certainly) I just haven't had the Storm long enough, typing on my Curve was so much second nature that I've found the Storm very frustrating..

I just don't remember feeling the same frustration when I first first got my Touch (and I have used it for email a bit), I think part of the problem is the click on the Storm, I found it just too heavy by default which makes it slow and extra annoying when you make a mistake, since I crammed paper under the battery it does feel quite a lot better but should you really have to do that with a brand new device?

anyway, time will tell I guess.. I will always believe that releasing the Storm in its current state was shoddy and cynical and has made me feel differently about RIM, maybe they'll pull something out of the hat and release a compelling update that makes it all better.. but I won't be holding my breath.
    02-04-09 12:37 AM
    Maybe (almost certainly) I just haven't had the Storm long enough, typing on my Curve was so much second nature that I've found the Storm very frustrating..

I just don't remember feeling the same frustration when I first first got my Touch (and I have used it for email a bit), I think part of the problem is the click on the Storm, I found it just too heavy by default which makes it slow and extra annoying when you make a mistake, since I crammed paper under the battery it does feel quite a lot better but should you really have to do that with a brand new device?

anyway, time will tell I guess.. I will always believe that releasing the Storm in its current state was shoddy and cynical and has made me feel differently about RIM, maybe they'll pull something out of the hat and release a compelling update that makes it all better.. but I won't be holding my breath.
    There are times I sometimes quietly wonder if I have one of the poorly clicking screens everyone talks about. But then I shake my head because mine works without any cards or tinkering with screws.

I came from a LG Dare and before that an Instinct. So I didn't have to transition much except the Surepress. That took a minute, always being too scared I'd press too hard in the beginning. And a real biggie: learning to trust the auto-correct some. I can't type with my eyes closed or one handed while driving 98 mph (some people on here actually want that ability). And I've seen some disgustingly fast Sidekick users that can prolly only be beaten by a million monkeys being electrocuted in vats of Red Bull while doing lines of coke.

But honestly, I get my msgs out fast enough. Only thing faster is my laptop. But that's me. I do think previous 'berry (and Sidekicks and Oceans and anything with a full keyboard) users will have an adjustment period. And their success will bank highly on how much they want to make the adjustment
    02-04-09 01:01 AM
    And I've seen some disgustingly fast Sidekick users that can prolly only be beaten by a million monkeys being electrocuted in vats of Red Bull while doing lines of coke.
    HAHAHA!!

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 01:20 AM
    IMO nobody in their right mind would try to claim the Storm is in any way better, or even close to, the iPhone
    Hardware wise? You are right.

The overall picture? You are wrong.

Give me the Storm with its Verizon network, push email, large touchscreen, and removable battery. There's no other phone offered by Verizon that can match that combination. At the end of the day, I really do use my phone like a phone and well, the iPhone and AT&T just cannot compete in THAT category.
    02-04-09 05:28 AM
    Hardware wise? You are right.

The overall picture? You are wrong.

Give me the Storm with its Verizon network, push email, large touchscreen, and removable battery. There's no other phone offered by Verizon that can match that combination. At the end of the day, I really do use my phone like a phone and well, the iPhone and AT&T just cannot compete in THAT category.
    You are so right!

I live in Montana. We have three cell phone providers in my state; Verizon, Alltel (which explains itself), and Cellular One. There is no AT&T service in my state or the four states surrounding us. What does that say about that company?! Before Verizon even bought Alltel I had service everywhere I went. And I do mean everywhere. 10 miles into actual wilderness (I am not sure what most consider wilderness these days but in Montana you can trust there is actual woods and such )

Just my $.02

Now excuse while I go make a phone call (which WILL NOT be dropped) and while I am at it I might send some picture messages to my mom from a friends birthday party!!! Oh and type out an email to my professor that I know he will get right away because we both have BlackBerrys (Storms to be correct). I could cry, however, because I cant make it look like my phone is popping popcorn... now that would just be handy
    Last edited by coryjclark; 02-04-09 at 11:06 AM.
    02-04-09 11:04 AM
    Apple left MMS out on purpose. They figured it has an email client so it doesn't need MMS (lame excuse).
    Why they neglected to use cut/paste is beyond me.
    Rumor has it the next version of the iPhone will have video, MMS, and video conferencing, and you can currently purchase an app to edit word and excel.

It's heading toward being business ready with a beautiful screen, browser, and lots of pretty cool apps.

I still won't want one.
    02-04-09 11:20 AM
    I don't think you can compare the two yet. It took time for the iphone to get where is it now. So of course it's going to for the storm, but maybe not as long (hopefully). Both have features better than the other, but what it comes down to it, they are PHONES. Verzion trumps at&t anyday point blank period. I would rather be one my storm with my "crappy browser" then on an iphone look for service, and you can't get WiFi everywhere
    02-04-09 12:43 PM
    The fanboy mentality is why the RIM CEO says Buggy, busted *** smartphones are the "new reality."
    It doesn't matter how bad their product is, people will still support it. The Storm pails in comparison in every regard compared to the iPhone, and the same people clamoring for the latest leaked OS, are the same people praising it. If it works as it should why is everyone foaming at the mouth for the new OS, which doesn't even include new features.

RIM is going downhill fast, they are the new 3dFX.
    02-04-09 12:59 PM
    The fanboy mentality is why the RIM CEO says Buggy, busted *** smartphones are the "new reality."
    It doesn't matter how bad their product is, people will still support it. The Storm pails in comparison in every regard compared to the iPhone, and the same people clamoring for the latest leaked OS, are the same people praising it. If it works as it should why is everyone foaming at the mouth for the new OS, which doesn't even include new features.

RIM is going downhill fast, they are the new 3dFX.
    Why is it always the same posters showing their ignorance on here?

When RIM releases its quarterly results and outsells Apple by roughly a 2-1 margin are you still going to be singing this tune?
    02-04-09 01:24 PM
    Hmmm...It seems like a lot of Storm users are in denial here. I love my Storm I think it's a great device but I can honestly say that it really doesn't compare to the iPhone at all.

The lack of MMS and Copy/Paste is the first thing every BB user brings up when talking about the iPhone claiming it to be a terrible device because it doesn't have these features....HOW OFTEN DO YOU CUT AND PASTE ON A PHONE....why not just send and email if you need to send someone a picture? The iPhone is what EVERY smartphone is benchmarked against by reviewers for a reason, because it is the best phone out there.

The browser, the media capabilities, the overall speed and stability of the phone is head and shoulders above the Storm RIGHT NOW. Will the Storm catch up? I sure hope so, I mean the iPhone does have more than a year head start. I really hope that the Storm will have the support from developers that the iPhone has so we see the same amount of apps good or bad.
    02-04-09 01:49 PM
    My cousin has an Iphone, and my son has the Ipod Touch. I am a Storm owner. I honestly haven't had any more difficulty typing on the Storm than I have on the Iphone. Maybe I just have big fingers, so it's all tough either way, lol. But I think it's silly to compare the Storm and the Iphone when the Iphone is already on it's 3rd generation. Yeah, the Storm has some bugs, but would you rather have a Storm or the ORIGINAL Iphone model? I know some Storm owners got messed up, buggy handsets that caused alot of frustration. But for the most part, a little patience and research has made the majority of Storm owners very happy people. I wish you could've been one of us.
    02-04-09 01:54 PM
    When RIM releases its quarterly results and outsells Apple by roughly a 2-1 margin are you still going to be singing this tune?
    Every Storm that RIM sells is one more nail in their coffin right now. If they outsell Apple 2-1 I'd say they're simply hastening their demise, do you really think many consumers would buy another BlackBerry after the Storm experience?

OK, I'm stirring.. but seriously there has to be a major backlash coming.
    02-04-09 01:55 PM
    Every Storm that RIM sells is one more nail in their coffin right now. If they outsell Apple 2-1 I'd say they're simply hastening their demise, do you really think many consumers would buy another BlackBerry after the Storm experience?

OK, I'm stirring.. but seriously there has to be a major backlash coming.
    I don't see too many Storm owners running away from BB altogether because of a bad Storm experience. Especially if they were BB users BEFORE the Storm. It's definitely not for everybody, and it does need improvement. But not many folks are gonna give up BB altogether no matter how much they disliked the Storm. Alot of us realize it's a first generation model, and it's bound to have problems.
    02-04-09 02:02 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD