Spoken like a true airhead. The iPhone has just been as productive for email (on Exchange), calendars, and docs as my Bold. Yeah, I carry them both around.
    Yawn.. Tons of people don't buy the iPhone because they know it will be more productive. That doesn't mean it isn't productive, it just means a lot of people didn't buy it for that reason.

But I'm happy to offend you. Hopefully I can come up with something else
    11-21-08 06:15 PM
    I'm with you uqmoore. I walked into the Verizon store this morning at the end of my 30-day trial with the Curve eagerly ready to trade it in for a Storm. After testing out two different demo Storms for about half an hour (customers were not exactly beating the doors down), I walked back out convinced the Curve was a better device, at least for me.
    11-21-08 06:16 PM
    I think that almost all 'non dumb' phones have either problems or limitations that users think are problems.

It took me several months and 3 phones to get my 8310 running on OS 4.5.0.102 with DocsToGo and their PDF reader runing and stable as a rock. It just never crashes.

I do not have WiFi which is a pity but I'll put up with that until I am sure that my next phone can be made just as stable.

For now, my 8310 does just about all I neeed or want in a phone. I'd like a better browser too.
    I agree with you pete
    11-21-08 06:17 PM
    WM is a whole different ballgame from any BB OS, regardless of whatever features the phone does or doesn't have.

-Larger screen
    -Higher resolution screen
    -Touch nav for web-browsing pretty much always works better than scrolling (be it dpad or trackball)
    -Newer OS, means update software versions
    -New software coming for touchscreen BBs
    -Far, far faster cpu

These are all definite improvements. You can argue they aren't substantial or good enough, but for plenty of people they will be.
    Oh yeah, forgot two:

-Landscape/portrait switching makes it easier to view various webpages.
    -Accelerometer for games and apps.
    The screen and touch nav are great features. The question is, do these features mean that much to people to be worth losing some core functionality.

Possible future applications and OS updates can't be considered a compelling reason to change your phone "today".

Do you own a storm?
    11-21-08 06:18 PM
    Nope.

I'm not gonna buy a new phone on a different network for the sake of a forum post.

The answer is subjective, yet you lay it down like it's fact. Some people actually prefer touchscreen devices. Others obviously don't. Why would you buy a curve if you don't like the QWERTY keyboard + smaller screen layout in the first place (or any of the other features I mentioned)?

A lot of people don't like the Curve/Moto q/Moto q9c/Treo/etc design style because the screen is a very small part of the device in comparison.

Possible future applications and OS updates can't be considered a compelling reason to change your phone "today".
    You think nobody adopted the iPhone early for the hopes of apps coming down the pipe that were not official yet? I bet many, many people did... Again, you claim it's not compelling, others will disagree.
    11-21-08 06:24 PM
    I did...I am a casual email/sms...user. The media, camera, and screen size were what I was after...I actually like the touch screen typing better than the Curves small and for me hard to see buttons....
    11-21-08 06:29 PM
    You can do all of those things on the curve but only quicker and easier.

Do you own the storm?
    Not yet, but not because I don't find it attractive. I simply didn't want to fight the morning lines and want to spend some quality in-store hands on time with it before I buy. I'll probably consider an early December buy.

And yes, you can do all those things on the Curve, with the following tradeoffs as I described earlier:

1. Smaller screen
    2. Lower resolution screen
    3. Slower speed (2G)
    4. No cut and paste of text
    5. Lower resolution camera
    6. Less visual hardware 'pop' than the Storm.

If you are happy with those tradeoffs, keep the Curve and more power to you. But I want a Blackberry for two key reasons: push email that is unmatched in speed and dependability, and an OS that is far more stable than other mobile OS's. If I can get those two things and get more of the converged features that I want with superior performance (camera pixels, screen size, web surfing speed), I'm perfectly willing to give up on hardware keyboard to get them, as I rarely type long emails that would tax my typing skills or type mutlipe emails in succession.

Frankly, I make plenty of mistakes on the tiny keys on my Curve, and I don't anticipate that I will make significnatly more on the touch screen keyboard.
    11-21-08 06:29 PM
    I want the Storm because I prefer touch screen devices. I'll be waiting for the problems to be fixed though.
    My Treo 700P has been great but it's age is showing. I would get an 800W or Treo Pro, but they aren't offered on Verizon.
    After having a touch screen device going backward just wouldn't do it for me.
    It's not going backwards. Think about it: Does your computer have a touch screen? Probably not. You have a mouse and keyboard because it is more efficient to look at a screen, instead of always smudging it up and covering up what your eyes can see with your hands and fingers.

A BB with a trackball is the same. You just move your thumb around, and don't have your vision blocked by a thumb/hand contorting in a strange position to touch something with the edge of your fingernail.

I owned about every Treo they ever made prior to seeing how good these devices are.

Now, if they made a BB with a trackball, and all the current functionality of a BB, but added a touch screen- that might be pretty cool because there may be an instance or two where a touchscreen might be ok, although I can't really think of any at the moment. And, no- the Treo doesn't count. The jog dial and OS don't even compare to a trackball and the BB os.
    11-21-08 06:32 PM
    Nope.

I'm not gonna buy a new phone on a different network for the sake of a forum post.

The answer is subjective, yet you lay it down like it's fact. Some people actually prefer touchscreen devices. Others obviously don't. Why would you buy a curve if you don't like the QWERTY keyboard + smaller screen layout in the first place (or any of the other features I mentioned)?

A lot of people don't like the Curve/Moto q/Moto q9c/Treo/etc design style because the screen is a very small part of the device in comparison.

You think nobody adopted the iPhone early for the hopes of apps coming down the pipe that were not official yet? I bet many, many people did... Again, you claim it's not compelling, others will disagree.
    I didn't think you owned the storm...

If I remember, ppl bought the first ipod without any promise of running apps besides crappy web apps. Initially, 3rd party app development wasn't available.
    11-21-08 06:34 PM
    I agree with Ugmoore here. Blackberries, iPhones, Palms and WM devices are all different with different strengths. If you want iTunes with a great browser, the iPhone is your phone. It's functional and productive with certain apps, but it certainly isn't the choice for power users to be highly productive for business purposes and constant email. No copy and paste - that alone should tell you something. But it does have a great web browser.

The Palm and WM are both extremely customizable and there are TONS of cool, cheap applications for these phones. You can do an incredible amount although all this extensibility (and potentially shoddy programming by 3rd party devs) can make the phone unstable. (My Treo 755p was rather solid and reliable.) WM has great resolution and features but is the opposite of Palm's super quick, easy access, one handed efficient operation.

The Blackberry is totally on the opposite end of the spectrum. It was designed to be really easy and extremely reliable for email and phone usage. It does that very well (with the exception of the data deleting bug aka memory leak... hard to believe.) As a media player and OS it's a disaster even though the OS is very responsive. If you're looking for cool stuff, look elsewhere. The OS wasn't made to be more than a business machine although they are improving it very slowly to become more consumerized. Not having a built in today screen is a shocking omission, just getting a document reader (Docs To Go) speaks for the terrible age of the BB, as well as downloading attachments. But it's here. But why is it called a Crackberry? Because many couldn't help but keep checking and sending email with the push email, not because the device was so awesomely cool. The keyboard and data entry on the Blackberry wasn't touched by any other phone for years (save the Treo for a short while) because it's keyboard is primed. Sure the Storm looks good and has some nice features. But if you are using it primarily for entertainment you just don't have the right device. It's got a cool factor but it's not a phone that really takes advantage of what the Blackberry OS's primary strength is.
    11-21-08 06:35 PM
    The screen and touch nav are great features. The question is, do these features mean that much to people to be worth losing some core functionality.
    That question has a different answer for every individual. Obviously you do not feel that those features are enough, but to many other people they are.
    11-21-08 06:36 PM
    I agree with alot of the comments based on the ease of typing on the Curve vs the Storm. I'm at "work" trying to send emails and it's taking me like 2-3x as long now to respond to people. I'm gonna keep my Curve still and try to tough it out with the Storm cause I really like the big screen and other things it can do.
    11-21-08 06:37 PM
    Eh whatever. This conversation isn't gonna go anywhere. People think everyone else thinks like they do...
    11-21-08 06:38 PM
    Curve=ugly, storm=teh hotness
    11-21-08 06:40 PM

1. Smaller screen
    2. Lower resolution screen
    3. Slower speed (2G)
    4. No cut and paste of text
    5. Lower resolution camera
    6. Less visual hardware 'pop' than the Storm.
    1. and 2. Agreed.
    3. Huh?
    4. Huh?
    5. Typical noises cell phone pics at greater resolutions! Great!
    6. Huh?

I guess we'll have to see what you say once you have the phone.
    11-21-08 06:44 PM
    Hahahaha have you used the browser on the Curve? Go look at the one on the Storm and you'll switch. As for typing, I am flying on this thing. It just all takes some getting used to. The screen is amazing, the navigation is great, the camera is great, etc. Come on now...what kind of a thread is this! Go use the phone! Use it for a month and if you dont like it, return the ****ing thing!
    11-21-08 06:45 PM
    Curve=ugly, storm=teh hotness
    Did you type that on a storm? LOL
    11-21-08 06:46 PM
    Did you type that on a storm? LOL
    I guess you've never seen the spelled as teh? oh well
    11-21-08 06:47 PM
    Hahahaha have you used the browser on the Curve? Go look at the one on the Storm and you'll switch. As for typing, I am flying on this thing. It just all takes some getting used to. The screen is amazing, the navigation is great, the camera is great, etc. Come on now...what kind of a thread is this! Go use the phone! Use it for a month and if you dont like it, return the ****ing thing!
    Who gives a **** about the browser? That is what I got opera mini for if I want "full rendered html pages". Yea, for sure I am looking at the Storm right now and am going to return it tonight! I can't stand the thing, messaging is a pain on it. Navigation is a pain, scrolling is a pain, and my essential applications don't work on it. And no I can't wait for them to upgrade them.
    11-21-08 06:51 PM
    Who gives a **** about the browser? That is what I got opera mini for if I want "full rendered html pages". Yea, for sure I am looking at the Storm right now and am going to return it tonight! I can't stand the thing, messaging is a pain on it. Navigation is a pain, scrolling is a pain, and my essential applications don't work on it. And no I can't wait for them to upgrade them.
    Haha use it for more than a day, dude. Give it a shot! I have had no trouble whatsoever. And the browser is better than the iPhone.
    11-21-08 06:55 PM
    Haha use it for more than a day, dude. Give it a shot! I have had no trouble whatsoever. And the browser is better than the iPhone.
    I'm just getting so frustrated with the messaging. I'm so much slower, when I make an error it takes forever to get your cursor right to fix it. Sometimes you gotta press really hard for a character and if you don't press hard enough and continue on your word gets so (*%*(Q)%)(*)% up, then I'm back to square one trying to get the damn cursor in the right place to fix it!
    11-21-08 06:58 PM
    Eh whatever. This conversation isn't gonna go anywhere. People think everyone else thinks like they do...
    Yep and the lemmings are comming out in droves. " OMG i cant wait for the Storm!" to it sucks. Look at alot of the post.

People really should realize that this is a new PLATFORM for BB. With k/b RIM is rock solid. This is a whole new beast. Look at M$, operating systems are there bread and butter, and they cant get WM right to save there life. This is a new learning experience for RIM and as a consumer you decide if you want to be part of that experience.

Having owned a Curve and now a Storm, is this phone what I so desperately missed from my Curve? Well no, not yet, but then again we havent even had the damn frickin thing for 24 hours. Did VZW shoot them in the foot with rushing the OS, and yes this is VZW problem because of the hype from US!! Absolutely they did. Did engadget, CNET and BRG hurt VZW on sales? Maybe, alot of people wont take a second look at this phone again.

I firmly belive that with the great CS i have gotten from VZW and my experience with RIM loyality to the customer and the vast improvement I always find with the latest OS, this phone will be a platform that is as good as what we have expected from RIM on there k/b platforms.
    11-21-08 07:00 PM
    I'm just getting so frustrated with the messaging. I'm so much slower, when I make an error it takes forever to get your cursor right to fix it. Sometimes you gotta press really hard for a character and if you don't press hard enough and continue on your word gets so (*%*(Q)%)(*)% up, then I'm back to square one trying to get the damn cursor in the right place to fix it!
    I just figured out how to correctly place the cursor and its great! You hold (not click) your finger on the text, the box turns clear, and then you can move it wherever you want.
    11-21-08 07:04 PM
    But I want a Blackberry for two key reasons: push email that is unmatched in speed and dependability, and an OS that is far more stable than other mobile OS's.

Whoa, I hadn't heard anything about faster push mail. Is that the case? I'd go for that. As to the OS, this forum is full of input suggesting just the opposite is true for the Storm. Anyone else on this??
    11-21-08 07:15 PM
    Whoa, I hadn't heard anything about faster push mail. Is that the case? I'd go for that. As to the OS, this forum is full of input suggesting just the opposite is true for the Storm. Anyone else on this??
    Yes, the storm has fast and reliable email. The problem begins once the email reaches the storm. lol
    11-21-08 07:17 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD