- faster web with rev A
    - included apps that you would have to pay for if you had the curve

What you give up in the Curve:

- fast navigation
    - fast typing
    - reliable typing
    - keyboard shortcuts
    - varying amounts of productivity

I just don't see a compelling reason for ppl to switch from the Curve to the Storm. If you plan to watch a lot of movies, you can spend your $200 on an ipod touch. If you need GPS, get a deciated device for $200.

IMHO, the only way the storm becomes a compelling device is:

1) You give it a trackball to get some speed back
    2) RIM revamps the sure press code to make it faster/better
    11-21-08 05:16 PM
    You forgot to mention that the Curve now has a stable OS.
    11-21-08 05:18 PM
    You forgot to mention that the Curve now has a stable OS.
    If I said that, ppl would just reply, "Just wait for the update!!! It's coming soon!!!!"
    11-21-08 05:19 PM
    2 different types of customers looking at each device, I dont understand why people cant understand this, obviously the Curve as its plus's and minus's and vice versa on the Storm, it depends what device you prefer
    11-21-08 05:20 PM
    2 different types of customers looking at each device, I dont understand why people cant understand this, obviously the Curve as its plus's and minus's and vice versa on the Storm, it depends what device you prefer
    If you are saying I dont understand why anyone wants the storm over the curve, you are correct. I dont understand why getting a big screen is worth losing what makes a blackberry a blackberry

The Storm is basically an xv6700 with better messaging.
    11-21-08 05:31 PM
    Because what is important to you in a phone doesn't mean it's important to someone else?
    11-21-08 05:36 PM
    Not everyone buys a blackberry for what blackberries are good at in the first place, that's why.

A lot of people like flash more than functionality (not claiming the Storm is or isn't functional at anything). Just in general, the #1 reason doesn't have to be (and often isn't) about productivity/functionality (iPhone is pretty much a testament to that).

I liked my Curve a lot, but the one thing I hated was that everything ran slowly. The processor is too slow and there isn't really a way to work around that. So that would be one plus about the Storm.
    11-21-08 05:38 PM
    I want the Storm because I prefer touch screen devices. I'll be waiting for the problems to be fixed though.
    My Treo 700P has been great but it's age is showing. I would get an 800W or Treo Pro, but they aren't offered on Verizon.
    After having a touch screen device going backward just wouldn't do it for me.
    11-21-08 05:39 PM
    Based on all the problems I read about on the 800w I would pass it up anyways (unless they fixed it all recently).
    11-21-08 05:40 PM
    i'm gettin the storm because i'm sick and tired of my trackball not working correctly. YAY for touchscreen and SCREW the ipod or anything from apple for that matter...
    11-21-08 05:41 PM
    Based on all the problems I read about on the 800w I would pass it up anyways (unless they fixed it all recently).
    Yeah I've read about all those problems. I've also read the Treo Pro has been developing cracks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 05:42 PM
    Not everyone buys a blackberry for what blackberries are good at in the first place, that's why.

A lot of people like flash more than functionality (not claiming the Storm is or isn't functional at anything). Just in general, the #1 reason doesn't have to be (and often isn't) about productivity/functionality (iPhone is pretty much a testament to that).
    The problem is, if you remove the productivity/functionality, what does the storm offer you over a tweaked windows mobile phone? Not much.

The problem with the storm is, there isn't any flash to it.
    11-21-08 05:43 PM
    I think that almost all 'non dumb' phones have either problems or limitations that users think are problems.

It took me several months and 3 phones to get my 8310 running on OS 4.5.0.102 with DocsToGo and their PDF reader runing and stable as a rock. It just never crashes.

I do not have WiFi which is a pity but I'll put up with that until I am sure that my next phone can be made just as stable.

For now, my 8310 does just about all I neeed or want in a phone. I'd like a better browser too.
    11-21-08 05:47 PM
    The problem is, if you remove the productivity/functionality, what does the storm offer you over a tweaked windows mobile phone? Not much.

I left WM for a Voyager. That is how bad it got working with WM for me. So far, the Storm is an improvement over both.
    11-21-08 05:50 PM
    Well, that's cool - you've reasoned things with yourself and you are happy with the curve.

As for me and others who picked up the Storm today...

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!

11-21-08 05:52 PM

even this early version of the Storm's OS is more stable than WM lol, WM has become completely non operational to me, but in regards to everything else, everyone else summed it up nicely. Different people have different tastes and preferences. To me the storm is functional for what I need it for, more so at that. Had the iphone been on Verizon, I would currently own one, but the sacrifice in quality in the network is just not worth it. I, in my opinion feel I have the best of both worlds now.
    11-21-08 05:55 PM
    If you are saying I dont understand why anyone wants the storm over the curve, you are correct. I dont understand why getting a big screen is worth losing what makes a blackberry a blackberry

The Storm is basically an xv6700 with better messaging.

I just don't see a compelling reason for ppl to switch from the Curve to the Storm. If you plan to watch a lot of movies, you can spend your $200 on an ipod touch. If you need GPS, get a deciated device for $200.

It's pretty simple. It's called convergence. Your argument about buying an iPod if you want to watch videos could then be extended to 'buy a DSLR if you want to take good pictures, and buy a laptop if you want to really read and edit Office documents, and get a portable GPS if you want good directions'. No one wants to walk around with a phone, an iPod, a camera, a GPS, and a laptop. A device that adequately converges all these functions will find a waiting market. The debate kicks in when you define adequately and start seeing the tradeoffs that hardware manufacturers make to converge all these functions. This is one reason why you don't see WiFi on the Storm (although I suspect it was more about Verizon's revenue model). The trend in hardware is to reduce the number of devices you are required to carry to perform most functions that until recently required unique hardware:
    • make and receive calls
    • compose, send and receive email and texts
    • take candid pictures
    • listen to music and watch videos while exercising or during leisure time
    • do basic reading and editing of business and personal documents
    • find your way around an unfamiliar area
    • play games as a short term diversion
    • search the web for nearly anything
    You are already beginning to see the early signs of the next step in convergence which will be, for some consumers, to eliminate the need to carry a wallet. Apps are in early production that allow you to securely use your phone at point of sale to debit your checking account or act as a credit card.

At some future point, I predict an attempt (at least) to remove the next item from your pocket: your keys. Using similar technology, we'll see the ability to unlock cars and doors and start ignition using secure IR codes or other technology.

So simply saying 'get another device' goes against the obvious demand for devices that do specifically the opposite -- reduce the number of devices you are required to purchase and carry with you.

Further, I think you misunderstand why people love Blackberries in general. Fast typing and shortcut keys are benefits, yes, but the heritage of Blackberry is its push email. This is where they built their business and how they have retained loyal customers over the years. Improving their customer's ability to read and respond to that push email is what caused the evolution from original Blackberries to phones like the 8800 series. Then RIM responded to their customer's desires for nicer-looking devices, smaller profile devices, and devices with more consumer, non-work type features with the Curve and the Pearl. Now they are attempting to broaden their market beyond the core business user by adding in more of these convergence features that will, if they are successful, put more Blackberries in the hands of a much wider spectrum of consumer segments.

MY .02 cents.

</rant>
    11-21-08 05:56 PM
    Well, that's cool - you've reasoned things with yourself and you are happy with the curve.

As for me and others who picked up the Storm today...

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!

And you have reasoned that the storm is better. Like others, you can't even give a substantive reason why the storm is better.
    11-21-08 05:57 PM
    WM is a whole different ballgame from any BB OS, regardless of whatever features the phone does or doesn't have.

-Larger screen
    -Higher resolution screen
    -Touch nav for web-browsing pretty much always works better than scrolling (be it dpad or trackball)
    -Newer OS, means update software versions
    -New software coming for touchscreen BBs
    -Far, far faster cpu

These are all definite improvements. You can argue they aren't substantial or good enough, but for plenty of people they will be.
    Last edited by papped; 11-21-08 at 05:59 PM.
    11-21-08 05:57 PM
    Maybe this is the wrong place to say it, but I, for one, don't care that it's a BB. I just have been waiting for years for a device that does everything in one device like this does....
    The hard core texters and emailers might be better off sticking with thier real keyboards. Why is this so hard to get?
    11-21-08 05:58 PM
    Staying with the Curve till next generation VZW key pad device released. Provided it leap frogs in benefits. Don't blame those that want the storm just no touch screen for this olde man. :>)
    11-21-08 05:58 PM
    • make and receive calls
    • compose, send and receive email and texts
    • take candid pictures
    • listen to music and watch videos while exercising or during leisure time
    • do basic reading and editing of business and personal documents
    • find your way around an unfamiliar area
    • play games as a short term diversion
    • search the web for nearly anything
    You can do all of those things on the curve but only quicker and easier.

Do you own the storm?
    11-21-08 06:03 PM
    Oh yeah, forgot two:

-Landscape/portrait switching makes it easier to view various webpages.
    -Accelerometer for games and apps.
    11-21-08 06:05 PM
    Maybe this is the wrong place to say it, but I, for one, don't care that it's a BB. I just have been waiting for years for a device that does everything in one device like this does....
    The hard core texters and emailers might be better off sticking with thier real keyboards. Why is this so hard to get?
    Do you own the storm?
    11-21-08 06:09 PM

I liked my Curve a lot, but the one thing I hated was that everything ran slowly. The processor is too slow and there isn't really a way to work around that. So that would be one plus about the Storm.
    Spoken like a true airhead. The iPhone has just been as productive for email (on Exchange), calendars, and docs as my Bold. Yeah, I carry them both around.
    11-21-08 06:12 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD