So apparently this problem had been famous for the 9530 and a fix had been released for it...except I have a 9550 and this "fix" isn't fixing my EDGE/edge problem!!!!

I had spent the past 24 hours (literally) trying to "fix" this EDGE/edge dilemma and it's driving me nuts. Okay...so I have an unlocked Storm2 9550 and I'm using it with Rogers. If I don't use the internet, I get a solid EDGE and can still receive emails and BBM messages. Once I open up the browser and a page starts loading...it drops to edge. Once I open an app that requires data, it drops to edge. Every thread I've read about this, whether it was from CB, pinstack, bb forums, howardforums, ETC ETC ETC....it was from last year regarding the 9530 and the "fix" was just switching the radio in the OS.

THIS DOESNT HELP FOR ME

- I've tried the CrackUtil method...although it was pointless because I have the required Service Books.

- I have my connection settings to 2G. I figured that out before even thinking of researching the problem.

- I've tested this with APN checked AND unchecked. Still no go.

- I've installed and loaded EIGHT different OS's....5 of them hybrids. AND NADA!

I am getting extremely irritated as I do NOT want to have to rely on wi-fi to use the internet...I am paying for my data plan so if I'd like to use the internet on my device while I'm out and on the go...I should be able to do so

If there is ANY fix for the 9550 then please for the love of all blackberrys...share it with me or I will HAVE to go back to my 8900 and sell this Storm....
    05-18-10 07:26 PM
    Switch to a Droid.
    05-18-10 07:57 PM
    i'm facing this issue too but only with google maps.. the workaround solution is to switch application from google maps to home, turn off data connection and turn on again, switch back to google maps.. i'm still looking for a permanent fix for this issue
    Last edited by stuffx; 05-18-10 at 08:31 PM.
    05-18-10 08:27 PM
    Mzmellyjelly, are you talking about the stock browser? Just curious. I only get it with Opera and a few streaming type of Apps. Even when it drops, in those instances, Opera or the streaming still works, but no other data comes in like emails, bbm, etc until I finish and it goes back to EDGE.

Your situation sounds much worse. I would not want to deal with that, I'd probably look into a new phone unless someone has a fix. I have searched hard myself and came up with nothing so far.

Is there ANY difference from OS to OS?
    05-18-10 08:39 PM
    Mzmellyjelly, are you talking about the stock browser? Just curious. I only get it with Opera and a few streaming type of Apps. Even when it drops, in those instances, Opera or the streaming still works, but no other data comes in like emails, bbm, etc until I finish and it goes back to EDGE.

Your situation sounds much worse. I would not want to deal with that, I'd probably look into a new phone unless someone has a fix. I have searched hard myself and came up with nothing so far.

Is there ANY difference from OS to OS?
    no differences really between OS to OS. Maybe some small things here or there but i stay away from .607 because the virtual keyboard doesn't work in BBM Group chat so i'm sticking with .517

and it doesn't matter what app i use or which browser...basically anything that requires data that i try to run or use will drop my edge connection. it's super annoying.

and please no smarta$$ remarks (looks at ferrari >.>) i obviously posted for help...not for wisecracks. if i wanted another smartphone i wouldn't have bothered with this thread.
    05-18-10 09:16 PM
    I was about to throw my new unlocked storm 2 against the wall until I decided to try this. Go to your carriers BIS site, go to change my hardware. I then re entered my pin and imei. Re sent service books and viola no more EDGE/edge!
    05-18-10 10:26 PM
    I was about to throw my new unlocked storm 2 against the wall until I decided to try this. Go to your carriers BIS site, go to change my hardware. I then re entered my pin and imei. Re sent service books and viola no more EDGE/edge!
    lol almost sounds too easy. i'll give it a shot. thanks =)
    05-18-10 10:34 PM
    Does the sim that's registered with Rogers have a blackberry data plan assigned to it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-10 11:15 PM
    wait what's the difference between EDGE and edge, aside from capitalization? sounds almost as if some apps use lower-case while others and the main screen use upper-case.
    05-18-10 11:33 PM
    EDGE = Data

edge = no data

basically.
    05-18-10 11:35 PM
    Re-entering the PIN and IMEI in my BIS account didn't work =(

and yes eazymac, I have a blackberry data plan @_@
    05-18-10 11:44 PM
    hmm I dont know what to tell you man... But you and I have been trying to get it going for about the same time. I did the same things you did. Different OS's etc etc, I did that BIS thing and it worked. Why dont you try changing back to your 8900 then install service books, boot 8900 then turn off connections. Then change device back to 9550. I know it sounds stupid but I work for an MTS dealer, sometimes switching blackberry to blackberry we encounter data issues not working. So when we switch blackberry's we turn off all connections then do an ESN change.
    Last edited by endine; 05-19-10 at 01:28 AM.
    05-19-10 01:18 AM
    i'll try that when i get home from work

this device is too great for me to give up too easily
    05-19-10 05:51 AM
    lol...still no go endine.

someone else suggested for me to wipe the device clean to it's original default factory settings and try out the browser and see if the EDGE signal still drops. if EDGE holds, then it could be an app or one of the service books that could be affecting the signal. if it still drops, then there's no hope x_x
    05-19-10 07:00 PM
    Miz, do also have the issue of when the device reboots, it sends the blackberry registration email? Cause though I have been steadily on edge, I always get that email and I know its not right. That even after a factory reset too
    05-20-10 01:49 AM
    Miz, do also have the issue of when the device reboots, it sends the blackberry registration email? Cause though I have been steadily on edge, I always get that email and I know its not right. That even after a factory reset too
    Like I said above, I have no problem holding solid EDGE, unless I try to stream over the Network. I always get that "Registration" message also. That might not have anything to do with EDGE vs edge.
    05-20-10 07:25 AM
    So you get NO data at all on edge? Mine seems to toggle between the two and it is just slower on edge. But I still get data transfer with it. Also on rogers and posting from my phone right now.

05-20-10 08:15 AM
    I've been getting that email ever since I upgraded from .320. An annoyance, but don't think it does anything to the device.

Only times I've really had an edge problem is when the VZW info is enabled in TCP/IP settings. Once I disable everything runs pretty smooth.
    05-20-10 08:48 AM
    Mine seems to toggle between the two and it is just slower on edge. But I still get data transfer with it.
    It's strange - I've noticed that too. Drops down from EDGE to edge, but data still works!

Technically we shouldn't see any transfer under edge...
    05-20-10 08:50 AM
    I think I've discovered the problem.

"EDGE" only turns to "edge" when I have the default internet browser configuration set to Shop - Magasin, which is essentially the WAP browser. So I went into my Browser settings and made sure everything was set to Internet Browser (the default Blackberry Browser) and not the Rogers WAP browser. And what do you know...with every website I visited, EDGE didn't drop once.

To explain further...

The data relies on the device's BIS connection, therefore it needs to be connected with the simplest setting of Internet Browser, and not WAP browser. The TCP/APN settings doesn't seem to matter according from what I've tested. What made the difference for me was just the setting of my Default Browser configuration. I had it set to "Shop - Magasin" (Roger's WAP browser), which now makes sense to me why my device was losing it's connection because the WAP browser setting tries to load Verizon's WAP browser which of course is incompatible with Roger's WAP connection, thus leading it to drop the data signal, even with Rogers' Service Books loaded on the device.

I understood when I kept reading everywhere that "you have to uncheck TCP/APN and leave it blank to hold EDGE" because apps or websites that rely on streaming falls back on the Default WAP browser configuration which will make you go from EDGE to edge. But I guess to put it in most simplest terms for the average JoeShmoe: use the default Internet Browser...not the WAP browser! lol it made such a difference! I don't need a specific radio, and I can check APN with the right settings or uncheck it..neither made a difference....EDGE withheld either way with all my apps fully functioning.

I've also tested that when streaming videos, EDGE ends up dropping to edge but the video will continue streaming. When I close youtube, edge pops back up to EDGE as if I never got disconnected.

I thought I'd share this for anyone else to test this out for themself, especially Rogers' users in case it might help them solve this same silly problem that I went through @_@. lol even a poor Roges Tech rep couldn't help me out. But hey, it's all about trial and error right? Anyhow I do appreciate everyone's supportive suggestions and help ^_^.

So to conclude...it looks like I won't be selling my Storm2 9550 xD

And now I have a micro SD card problem to solve....but that's another chapter of "melly's dramatic technical problems".........to be continued. *dum dum dum*
    05-21-10 09:05 AM
    Dude, I think you might have the browser set to wap browser instead of internet browser. If that's not fixing it try a diferent homepage then google, or try not to go trough google or your carrier's homepage.

05-21-10 09:13 AM
    Dude, I think you might have the browser set to wap browser instead of internet browser. If that's not fixing it try a diferent homepage then google, or try not to go trough google or your carrier's homepage.

lol you just missed my previous post. and i'm not a dude =P
    05-21-10 09:41 AM
    lol you just missed my previous post. and i'm not a dude =P
    Lol, I can't see that on the phone's browser, sorry. And yes, I didn't get past the first page, my bad

05-21-10 01:36 PM
    Haha I figured

05-21-10 02:12 PM
    Hey congrats! I never thought of doing that? I always have set my browser to internet. I must have just done it and thought it was having to do with re registering my berry on BIS. Atleast we know how to fix it lol
    05-21-10 05:36 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD