Hey,

I heard about how bad the storm was back when it first launched and now that I can get it for 200 no contract unlocked I'm thinking about gettting it.

I always wanted a blackberry and I love touchscreens and the surepress feels awesome better then the htc magic ihave right now.

I see all this about hybrids and wat not so im hoping with os 5.0 that the phone is now stable and faster then before and generally more useable . I am willing to add different os to achieve this.

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-10 10:31 PM
    Don't be insane. Worst... smart.... phone....ever.
    07-05-10 10:34 AM
    Let's put it like this: I just bought a brand new S2 for $250.
    07-05-10 10:42 AM
    Do not do it.

07-05-10 07:03 PM
    Went from a Storm 9530 to a Nexus One and will not like back...
    07-07-10 02:48 AM
    hope you live some place warm. touch screen on the storm won't work/respond when temp drops below 40 degrees!!
    07-07-10 04:43 AM
    I have been managing 6 of those little monsters. 5 of 6 returned at least once for hardware issues in the past 450 days on this contract. Number six going out today... It is a smart phone but has some behavioral issues.
    07-07-10 06:18 AM
    Not really sure where you're getting a S1 for $200, but it's most likely not new and most likely actually a S2

You should try posting in that forum.

Despite all the above haters, I have used an iphone, Droid, and Storm, and overall like the storm best. Don't let other people online make your choices for you; there are too many people on this forum who just stick around to bash RIM/BBs for no reason...
    07-07-10 11:56 AM
    I have a storm 1 and although it has had some issues I still really like it. That being said, I wouldn't buy one now. The phone's been out for a while, there has to be something better out there by now, and I'll be looking to replace it in January when I'll have had it for two years.

Smartphones are overkill without a data plan (possibly tolerable with one that does wifi, the storm 1 does not), the cost of data service will exceed the cost of the phone, so shop the various carriers in you area to do a comparison of the total cost, not just the initial equipment cost, maybe you'll end up money ahead and get a new better phone if you commit to a contract.
    07-07-10 12:55 PM
    Storm 2 is a completely different story, but I wouldn't buy a Storm 1 at this point (or take one for free for that matter).
    07-07-10 01:47 PM
    "hope you live some place warm. touch screen on the storm won't work/respond when temp drops below 40 degrees!! "

And don't live somewhere where it's too humid. Screen won't respond when your hands are too sweaty and there's too much moisture in the air. You couldn't dial 911 in an emergency if your life depended on it. Literally.
    07-07-10 03:49 PM
    Don't do it. There are soooo many better phones than the Storm 1. My Incredible is awesome.
    07-07-10 04:12 PM
    Don't be insane. Worst... smart.... phone....ever.
    AMEN!!! Just awful!
    07-07-10 04:14 PM
    It's not a bad phone I like it quite a bit but the memory limit really stinks on the storm 1 it is compounded by the memory leak. Personally I would not advise you to pay $200 for this phone. If it was a storm 2 maybe

Some of the newer android phones are just awesome and run circles around any BlackBerry I would look into those phones before I even consider the storm 1.

=X=
    07-07-10 06:08 PM
    NO OP, you will be making a very big mistake if you do
    07-07-10 07:34 PM
    Don't buy a smartphone that has been out for two years. You will be angry just as if you bought a PC that came out two years ago. Why put yourself through that?

07-07-10 09:34 PM
    Don't buy it, had one for 3 weeks i had to take it back .
    07-07-10 09:41 PM
    Storm is a great phone. I bought one for $50 last month. I use that and when I get bored of touch, I switch to my Tour. So get it, but maybe the storm 2. $200 is to high for the S1. If u really like it then get it.

07-07-10 10:30 PM
    AMEN!!! Just awful!
    Here's the troll again...Wonder why you didn't respond when I pointed out that my overclocked Omnia II makes your Droid look like a tortoise...?

OP, for $200 I wouldn't buy it. Talk it down to maybe $150ish (since it's unlocked and no contract) and it's fine. The hybrids are great and my memory sits at 40-ish MB no problem for 2 or 3 days with no lag, lightning quick. And I have like 28 apps. My wife has like 15 apps and her memory stays at almost 47 MB and is crazy responsive. The features the phone has are extremely helpful. I keep my business flowing perfectly through this phone and my Omnia II. If you're a kiddy looking for speed and "wow" effect you can go buy an Android or iPhone. If you have use for a grown up phone like the Storm or a WM phone, go that route. My .02

Good luck OP.
    07-08-10 03:00 AM
    Here's the troll again...Wonder why you didn't respond when I pointed out that my overclocked Omnia II makes your Droid look like a tortoise...?

OP, for $200 I wouldn't buy it. Talk it down to maybe $150ish (since it's unlocked and no contract) and it's fine. The hybrids are great and my memory sits at 40-ish MB no problem for 2 or 3 days with no lag, lightning quick. And I have like 28 apps. My wife has like 15 apps and her memory stays at almost 47 MB and is crazy responsive. The features the phone has are extremely helpful. I keep my business flowing perfectly through this phone and my Omnia II. If you're a kiddy looking for speed and "wow" effect you can go buy an Android or iPhone. If you have use for a grown up phone like the Storm or a WM phone, go that route. My .02

Good luck OP.
    AMEN bro. The S1 is a fine device, so long as you upgrade your OS and delete everything you won't use. If I was in the market right now I would buy the S2 if you can afford it, just a better overall feel to it. My S1 has served me well but when the 9800 comes out I really want that phone!
    07-08-10 03:17 AM

I heard about how bad the storm was back when it first launched and now that I can get it for 200 no contract unlocked I'm thinking about gettting it.

Like a few other posters I've read here. Don't waste your money. I have a Storm 1 but it's old technology and as soon as I can get my hands on the phone I want, I will, but this product line is tired and you're reaching too far back for a phone you want.
    07-08-10 04:06 AM
    NO. Do not buy a phone that is as old as the Storm
    07-08-10 10:16 AM
    If you're a kiddy looking for speed and "wow" effect you can go buy an Android or iPhone. If you have use for a grown up phone like the Storm or a WM phone, go that route. My .02

Good luck OP.
    This is the usual insult thrown at those of us who actually require the product we bought to work as advertised. That some how if we are dissatisfied with the poor performance of this piece of crap we are immature children.

The other insult often spouted is that we are some sort of tech imbeciles incapable of using a product beyond our intellects. "Dude upgrade to .......'s hybrid xxx"

The phone is/was substandard from the start and RIM/Verizion's response was awful. Read the reports on any testing site, phone reseller etc.

My storm is unlocked and I used it when traveling because I could put a foreign SIM in and at least have a local phone. THAT and ONLY THAT can recommend this RIM/Verizion insult to their long term customers. If you don't travel, get a good phone. I'd sell you mine but $25 would be ripping you off! $200 is robbing you blind.
    07-08-10 12:49 PM
    I'd stay away from the Storm1 at most any price, the Storm2 is a much better device... as are many other smartphones on the market today.

If the Storm was such a great phone... the Storm forums here on Crackberry would not be full of so many complaints and request for help.
    07-08-10 01:13 PM
    get a galaxy S phone by samsung. it beats out the iphone4 in terms of performance

GLBenchmark 1.1 Result Database
    07-08-10 02:59 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD