"Storm Rants & Raves Forum
    This is the place to Rave and Rant about the BlackBerry Storm. Keep it friendly, regardless of your opinions!"

Thinking back to my original post and the post you put, this is not a rant about the blackberry storm. This is a post regarding the storm forum. So, it actually should be moved to a designation for comments/suggestions/rants on/about forums in general..but there isnt really one..

i posted this link for this thread oin another thread in direct reply to Kevin and CX , im hoping they read and chime in on there thoughts , like Bla1ze and i believe azeis did
    03-24-09 03:16 PM
    What it boils down to is policing ourselves. The problem lies when some of the more "seasoned" members tell a noob to search or even show them the answer to the problem a certain number of people pile on to the "seasoned" member trying to help...then we get into the bad answer post......if I had a nickle for every wrong answer I have seen.......
    03-24-09 03:17 PM
    i posted this link for this thread oin another thread in direct reply to Kevin and CX , im hoping they read and chime in on there thoughts , like Bla1ze and i believe azeis did
    I appreciate that and would like that as well. And I really appreciate the fact that Bla1ze and Azeis came in and put their thoughts in as well. I was really hoping for some, if not all the mods to see this. Maybe if we all put our heads together about it, we could figure out some more possible solutions to the ones already in place.
    03-24-09 03:20 PM
    I appreciate that and would like that as well. And I really appreciate the fact that Bla1ze and Azeis came in and put their thoughts in as well. I was really hoping for some, if not all the mods to see this. Maybe if we all put our heads together about it, we could figure out some more possible solutions to the ones already in place.
    the other thing i disagree is , giving power to osme people on here LOL

i think 10 mods is good , or have Kevin select 2 or 3 just STORM mods , they do nothing else then stay in the storm forums , the other mods can come and go , but designate 3 mods just for the storm. i really beluieve the storm is such a different animal , and needs to be treated differently
    03-24-09 03:24 PM
    Agreed

10 Chars
    03-24-09 03:26 PM
    Regarding the technical issues with the devices, I’m sadly surprised as to how few people refer to the blackberry.com knowledge base. That’s what the RIM techs and your carrier techs use for "known issues and fixes". I’ve referred that a few times, and people basically have this "why don't you just copy and paste the answer for me so I don't have to".

Bottom line the internet is a tool, a reference, but not the be all, end all of information. It just is a medium to get you to where that information is. Be it a person, a book, or Kevin’s external USB hard drive of a brain.

A little more education of the average blackberry user can't do anything but improve our enviornment.
    03-24-09 03:31 PM
    I do agree that you can't just be a D1CK about it either.

The best way would be to post a link to a topic that is already started and then lock the thread.

So if someone asks about the friggin missing browser again, you kindly put a link to the active thread and then report it. At least that way they know where to go.

There are just sooo many threads here that are almost identical in nature that searching is a nightmare.

The other option would be that nobody reply to the thread at all and then maybe the noob will get the hint and either search for themselves or just leave. Either way I think the forum comes out ahead.
    03-24-09 04:12 PM
    I think the ignore and report is the best course of action. Peer pressure!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 04:17 PM
    Regarding the technical issues with the devices, I�m sadly surprised as to how few people refer to the blackberry.com knowledge base. That�s what the RIM techs and your carrier techs use for "known issues and fixes". I�ve referred that a few times, and people basically have this "why don't you just copy and paste the answer for me so I don't have to".

Bottom line the internet is a tool, a reference, but not the be all, end all of information. It just is a medium to get you to where that information is. Be it a person, a book, or Kevin�s external USB hard drive of a brain.

A little more education of the average blackberry user can't do anything but improve our enviornment.
    Society today has raised a bunch of lazy BA5TARDS.

We live in a society today that everyone feels they are owed something for nothing, or that they are somehow entitled to something without having to do anything. Octomom is a stunning example of that. She wouldn't take the free donations because of the agreement she had to sign stating that she would not use herself or her children in any type of reality shows. What a great world we have created.

Do you seriously think that is going to change? I doubt it. Just give me mine and screw everyone else. What a way to live.
    03-24-09 04:18 PM
    The first step towards healing
    My name is patches and I do not know everything.

03-24-09 04:36 PM
    I just read through this entire thread after an extremely long day at work.
    First-
    I'm very glad to see this thread has remained civil. Very cool. Several good ideas, as well as many valid concerns have been brought up. At this point in time, the best thing would be the "police ourselves" approach. We all know the Storm forums get out of hand, but as Kevin has mentioned, we want CB to be as open and accessible as possible, while maintaining some sense of order. (Tough one, I know) At the present time, we feel that this can be achieved/maintained with the current number of mods, but we aren't dismissing any possible changes/additions in the future. Absolutely use the report post feature. They get handled pretty quickly actually.
    It is nice to see that the community is concerned about the quality of the forums - keep posting, use the "ignore and report" idea mentioned earlier, and together we'll keep CB on top.

03-24-09 05:48 PM
    Sorry guys I don't feel like reading past the first three pages.

Here are my 2 cents:

1) Opinion "buttons"?

Instead of "I agree", "I like this", "or "thanks for being helpful" can't we just have a button to click for this? Many people write those for thread counts; but many just want to say thank you to those who helped. All the posts which said nothing but the above should be deleted.

2) Minimum letters?

The current minimum number of letters for posts (10) are too little. I have seen a horrendous poster who wrote a few words per post stating "Sorry guys I just want to up my post counts"...So, maybe, 50?

3) Everybody: Use the "Report Post" button!

Don't know if it actually helps but have you tried to use it every time you see something objectionable?

I don't have a solution about the repeated threads but if #1 and #2 are done maybe this forum could be less like a landfill... I love CB, and I have used it so much for the little time I have joined. I try to be helpful and useful. And I READ the guidelines!
    03-24-09 07:40 PM
    Sorry guys I don't feel like reading past the first three pages.

Here are my 2 cents:

1) Opinion "buttons"?

Instead of "I agree", "I like this", "or "thanks for being helpful" can't we just have a button to click for this? Many people write those for thread counts; but many just want to say thank you to those who helped. All the posts which said nothing but the above should be deleted.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f19/has...d-into-125033/

I addressed this earlier in the year. But doesn't look like a go at this time, but i love the idea.

A point system or trust level.

Yes we have user status and such. but what about a point system to show positive and negative things about a user. If that such person helped out on a post then can be given trust points or something. Which will then show others that that said person is in good standing and helpful. Or if the person is totally off the wall and has a bad attitude it should count away from his said points...

If a Crackberry User treats you really well or makes a great post then award them a reputation point.

Or a Crackberry User is really rude or obnoxious then ding them for a point.

And If a Crackberry user posts and it doesn't mean anything to you either way then just forget about the reputation feature altogether.

Any word on possibly getting into this, I think it will be a good move...

Things can also be looked into as well. More points larger PM box, bigger avatar can be awarded.

I have seen this type of system work on other sites and think it would really help out, plus give us something to work towards.
    03-24-09 07:44 PM
88 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD