Just felt like sharing - it may help some people save a bit of money.

So reading on CrackBerry of course and other online posts about the Blackberry Storm pricing - no where did it say you have to be up for your new at 2 to take advantage of the $249 (minus the $50 mail in rebate). So I waited in line (in the freezing cold - in NJ) for 2 hours only to be told i would need to pay retail once I got into the store. All commercials and blogs said $249 with a new 2 year agreement. OK so technically my new at 2 would be in May of 2010, but I thought that a new 2 year agreement would just push that date back to November of 2010. Well I was certainly mistaken. (I did see a large collection on Treo users that were up for their new at 2 in line - making the switch to our beloved Berries)

So obviously I left really disappointed and bit ticked off. Driving home I did some quick math but confirmed when I got into the office. If I ordered a new line on my account I would get the $249 price. Once I got the phone I switched the number from my Curve to my Storm then cancel the other account. The cancellation fee is $145 (no typo I thought it was $175 as well). So you take $249 + $145 and you get $394. If you ask me $394 is a lot better than $499 (retail) or between $600 - $800 on eBay.

So that's what I did on Friday. Called at 10:00am ordered the new line paid an extra $20 for overnight shipping for a promised Saturday delivery before 12:00. Well needless to say: (like 2 other phones from VZ that I paid overnight shipping for) did not arrive next day. In conversation with Verizon today they said they can only promise now that the phone will ship on or before 12/5. I am just hoping it's worth it.
    11-24-08 02:04 PM
    I did almost the same thing . . . I got the Strom for the promo price but my fiance wanted one too on our family plan. Well I had to use her upgrade to get mine (mine is not up till next year). . . so I ordered a third line and got the promo price. I will cancel one of the extra lines in a bit . . .

HOWEVER . . it is my understanding that you need to wait at least 30 days to cancel the other line (and maybe switch the phone) else they will charge you full retail for the phone!
    11-24-08 02:09 PM
    I did almost the same thing . . . I got the Strom for the promo price but my fiance wanted one too on our family plan. Well I had to use her upgrade to get mine (mine is not up till next year). . . so I ordered a third line and got the promo price. I will cancel one of the extra lines in a bit . . .

HOWEVER . . it is my understanding that you need to wait at least 30 days to cancel the other line (and maybe switch the phone) else they will charge you full retail for the phone!
    Once you pay for the phone - the phone is your legal property. I do not believe that they can legally charge you more on something that you already own. But Verizon does have a bunch of tricks up their sleeve. Like my $384 Fios bill. (Should have been $124 and their answer was oops our mistake)
    11-24-08 02:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD