I have had the storm for a while now.. Really hoping it would win out the Touch PDA/phone war. but the laggy interface, lack of "wowing" software to name a couple of things make me feel like... maybe i should go with a Pre, or (shudders) a iphone... at frist i could make the agurment to my Isheep friends that the storm was "new!" and that it just needs some time.. but as apps keep coming out for the storm, and app world out already, side by side the ipone app to the storm app is much better. so i feel as the title says, I got the short end of the stick
    05-16-09 11:01 PM
    Are you on the .75 OS? I felt the same way about my Storm too before I upgraded to one of the leaked OS'. If you haven't tried one I'd strongly recommend it. it can make the Storm much more enjoyable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 11:04 PM
    i am on v4.7.0.113
    05-16-09 11:07 PM
    I think I may give sprint another shot after 5 years.
    The pre looks like a good solid device (time will tell)

I don't think I will get the storm 2 because, well.. Personally I don't think they deserve my business.

Don't get me wrong, I very much like my phone, it's just not what i had hoped it to be
    05-16-09 11:12 PM
    I am happy with the Storm, but I'm really anticipating the 9630 (Tour) and watching that info very closely.

I am on my first Storm since December, and just ordered a replacement today (5.16) not because of screen click (i found that if you have a little patience and some crazy glue, disassembling the phone and crazy gluing the spacer that is inbetween the button and screen dimple in place will produce a flawless click) or software (.122 shrink-a-os has been wonderful), but for some reason no matter what OS I use, a moderate bump will reset the phone. I don't mean a drop from waist height, I mean ending a phone call and putting the phone down on the table and letting it slide out of my palm and "fall" a maximum of 2 inches that will cause a reset. It's really fun when you're on the phone and had 3 texts come in that you have to answer when you get off the phone only to have to wait the seemingly half-hour for the phone to re-boot. I know it's only 3 minutes average, but when you're staring at that spinning clock..... time slows down to the Nth degree.

ok, im done with my gripe. New Storm coming on Wed.
    05-17-09 01:00 AM
    i am on v4.7.0.113
    Try .141, I have found it is the best of the leaks. Look at my sig for Lyrics release!
    05-17-09 01:05 AM
    .113 is half of what the later leaks are...i suspect the next OS to get sent to friendly user testing should be even that much better, maybe not an official, but still progress...

just remind yourself, if VZW did what they usually do with testing, we STILL wouldn't have the device!
    05-17-09 01:45 AM
    i love my storm i really do i have mine set up with the .141 5.0 hybrid and loving it...i do agree that the apps. for the storm for the most suck compared to the iphone but give it time when the storm generations pass by it'll be flying by the iphone for sure......storm owners give it to the iphone fairys and tell them to suck a ****
    05-17-09 01:54 AM
    So many problems would be solved if they just fixed the OS

05-17-09 02:27 AM
    So many problems would be solved if they just fixed the OS

"so many problems would be solved if they just cured cancer"

if it were that easy, it would have been done by now.
    05-17-09 12:38 PM
    I have had the storm for a while now.. Really hoping it would win out the Touch PDA/phone war. but the laggy interface, lack of "wowing" software to name a couple of things make me feel like... maybe i should go with a Pre, or (shudders) a iphone... at frist i could make the agurment to my Isheep friends that the storm was "new!" and that it just needs some time.. but as apps keep coming out for the storm, and app world out already, side by side the ipone app to the storm app is much better. so i feel as the title says, I got the short end of the stick
    What kind of apps would "wow" you? What kind of apps are you looking for?

Apple's iPhone commercials with all the "If you need an app that does this or that, we have it" To me, some of them seem like memory wasting time-killers. If those are the kind of apps you're looking for then maybe the iPhone is what you're looking for. Sure in the commercials they have plenty of app choices, but I sometimes wonder if people buy into the idea that when they get their iPhone all those apps are already pre-loaded or that their free.

As far as the OS is concerned the .75 OS is sluggish, which was why some took it upon themselves to make improvements on it, and now it works much better. Who knows when VZW will release an official OS, but as with a majority of phones (including the iPhone) nothings perfect out of the chute. And at this point who cares about the Storm 2,3,4,5 or 6, Storm 1 IS NEW and not perfect but it's a good phone. Apps aside, I have been a customer with VZW since they changed their name to Verizon and their service (as in coverage and reception) kills over AT&T. In places where I have bars, my friends with AT&T don't get jack.

You make it sound like you were forced into buying the Storm (short end of the stick), the phone didn't disappoint you, it's just a phone. It was most likely your expectations that a phone that is only some months old was going to equal or better a phone that's already years old. You (as well as myself) fall under the category of an "Early adopter" and you take your chances if you want the latest and greatest. The latest sometimes isn't always the greatest right away.

Once you realize what exactly you want in a phone that will be your choice. Blackberrys are not toys, sure they have media players and apps that make fart sounds but to me all that doesn't matter if it's not good as a PHONE too.
    Last edited by DrumBoy; 05-18-09 at 02:21 AM. Reason: spell check (best I could...)
    05-18-09 02:14 AM
    What kind of apps would "wow" you? What kind of apps are you looking for?

Apple's iPhone commercials with all the "If you need an app that does this or that, we have it" To me, some of them seem like memory wasting time-killers. If those are the kind of apps you're looking for then maybe the iPhone is what you're looking for. Sure in the commercials they have plenty of app choices, but I sometimes wonder if people buy into the idea that when they get their iPhone all those apps are already pre-loaded or that their free.

As far as the OS is concerned the .75 OS is sluggish, which was why some took it upon themselves to make improvements on it, and now it works much better. Who knows when VZW will release an official OS, but as with a majority of phones (including the iPhone) nothings perfect out of the chute. And at this point who cares about the Storm 2,3,4,5 or 6, Storm 1 IS NEW and not perfect but it's a good phone. Apps aside, I have been a customer with VZW since they changed their name to Verizon and their service (as in coverage and reception) kills over AT&T. In places where I have bars, my friends with AT&T don't get jack.

You make it sound like you were forced into buying the Storm (short end of the stick), the phone didn't disappoint you, it's just a phone. It was most likely your expectations that a phone that is only some months old was going to equal or better a phone that's already years old. You (as well as myself) fall under the category of an "Early adopter" and you take your chances if you want the latest and greatest. The latest sometimes isn't always the greatest right away.

Once you realize what exactly you want in a phone that will be your choice. Blackberrys are not toys, sure they have media players and apps that make fart sounds but to me all that doesn't matter if it's not good as a PHONE too.

coming from the iphone I can agree that it would have to be a "want" type thing because honestly. I used to dig the store on itunes a ton. After a while though I realized that at least 75 percent of the apps were either "corny and dumb" "for enjoyment purposes only" or just didn't work the way that they should.

If you are a game fanatic there is a crap ton of games on the iPhone and a crap ton of those are a ton of fun.

it just lacked in some of the key areas that I need/want

I also wouldn't talk down on the upcoming pre as I feel its a true contender. Palm much like blackberry has been in the "business" world for a long time and I feel that along with the fun they will probably also bring nice things to the work load of the device.

I personally am going to grab a tour. I am yet to see a device do communication like a blackberry and I think I will stick with it for a while or until something else is more useful for me personally.

In the end your phone is your phone. You have to choose what suits you best. I will tell you if you ask the question on specific forums your going to get biased answers for the most part.

If you go to the iPhone forum there going to tell you to buy a iPhone you come here alot will tell you to stick with BB's same with pre or even android.

So I suggest you simply do research on what each phone that your looking into actually does and what it supports and see if it fits your lifestyle. Don't use hype to influence your decision you may never get the phone that satisfies your needs.
    05-18-09 02:33 AM
    i love my storm i really do i have mine set up with the .141 5.0 hybrid and loving it...i do agree that the apps. for the storm for the most suck compared to the iphone but give it time when the storm generations pass by it'll be flying by the iphone for sure......storm owners give it to the iphone fairys and tell them to suck a ****
    I couldnt have said it better myself!!
    05-18-09 04:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD