So I just upgraded from storm 1 to storm 2 less than 3 months ago. Yesterday, I dropped storm 2 on cement and shattered the screen. What a sad sad day. I've had great luck with both storm versions. However, now that she's smashed (still usable though for the moment) I'm actually considering going to the Droid Incredible...

Any advice out there? No offense to the BB lovers...I love BB but just a little curious about this Droid by HTC.
    07-19-10 09:03 AM
    different strokes for different folks. only YOU can decide if you don't need/want the unique features of a Blackberry phone. good luck with your choice (the droids will be no less susceptible to breakage than your storm, btw. )
    07-19-10 09:41 AM
    different strokes for different folks. only YOU can decide if you don't need/want the unique features of a Blackberry phone. good luck with your choice (the droids will be no less susceptible to breakage than your storm, btw. )
    LOL You're right.

My blackberry wasn't the only thing I dropped yesterday...total butterfingers kind of day. Unfortunately the storm was the only thing that didn't survive.

Until I decide what to do, I'm probably going to go back to Storm 1, I loved that one most of all. Except memory was running low...it's the only reason I upgraded to Storm 2.

BTW, storm was my first blackberry and I swore I'd never own anything else but the droid has really peaked my curiosity.
    Last edited by missyzane; 07-19-10 at 09:46 AM. Reason: more info
    07-19-10 09:45 AM
    I was messing with the new droid X this weekend (I know not what you are looking at but still the droid platform). I was impressed with the speed of it etc but I really found i missed my blackberry interface. I am not a huge app user, i have maybe 13 on my blackberry, so having tons of free apps isn't a big issue to me. Plus the Storm form factor feels a lot better in my hands than how square the droids are.

The internet on the droids is BLAZING though, still I had to replace a broken storm II and i just got another storm II instead of upgrading to the X or any other droid. I would miss blackberry and BBM too much
    07-19-10 09:48 AM
    LOL You're right.

My blackberry wasn't the only thing I dropped yesterday...total butterfingers kind of day. Unfortunately the storm was the only thing that didn't survive.

Until I decide what to do, I'm probably going to go back to Storm 1, I loved that one most of all. Except memory was running low...it's the only reason I upgraded to Storm 2.

BTW, storm was my first blackberry and I swore I'd never own anything else but the droid has really peaked my curiosity.
    bummer on the drop!

The Droid's peaked my curiosity also. I went to the local Verizon store the day of release and checked out the X. I came away liking my Storm even more than before I saw the X. the X isn't a lousy phone, IMO, but it's not got the "overall package" that I feel the Storm has, for my needs & desires. For one thing, the larger screen didn't seem all that bigger, and the Storm's screen is awesome for brightness, color saturation, and deep black levels. Also, the speaker is better, IMO, on the Storm. Take all that, and add in BBM, and I just can't see dumping my storm. Not to mention I LOVE SurePress. If I didn't have a BB, I would probably like an X.
    07-19-10 09:52 AM
    missy let me know if you are interested in another storm 2. I have one available we can discuss it if you want.
    07-19-10 09:59 AM
    I was messing with the new droid X this weekend (I know not what you are looking at but still the droid platform). I was impressed with the speed of it etc but I really found i missed my blackberry interface. I am not a huge app user, i have maybe 13 on my blackberry, so having tons of free apps isn't a big issue to me. Plus the Storm form factor feels a lot better in my hands than how square the droids are.

The internet on the droids is BLAZING though, still I had to replace a broken storm II and i just got another storm II instead of upgrading to the X or any other droid. I would miss blackberry and BBM too much

Oh I really hate decisions!! I do fear I'd miss my blackberry..I mean, this is the first phone I ever had that I was completely happy with. It's probably silly to dump my Storm because I let her slip out of my hands. See, I may have just needed a few folks to help me see the light. LOL
    07-19-10 10:00 AM
    Would you be adding a line or upgrading on another line to get the Incredible? If you just upgraded to S2 3 months ago I would think an insurance claim would put you back into another S2. Luckily you have the S1 to use in the meantime.
    07-19-10 10:04 AM
    bummer on the drop!

The Droid's peaked my curiosity also. I went to the local Verizon store the day of release and checked out the X. I came away liking my Storm even more than before I saw the X. the X isn't a lousy phone, IMO, but it's not got the "overall package" that I feel the Storm has, for my needs & desires. For one thing, the larger screen didn't seem all that bigger, and the Storm's screen is awesome for brightness, color saturation, and deep black levels. Also, the speaker is better, IMO, on the Storm. Take all that, and add in BBM, and I just can't see dumping my storm. Not to mention I LOVE SurePress. If I didn't have a BB, I would probably like an X.
    Well, there's a chance my fiancee is getting the Droid. If he does, that will give me a chance to play with it.
    07-19-10 10:05 AM
    Oh I really hate decisions!! I do fear I'd miss my blackberry..I mean, this is the first phone I ever had that I was completely happy with. It's probably silly to dump my Storm because I let her slip out of my hands. See, I may have just needed a few folks to help me see the light. LOL
    I'm pretty paranoid about holding my phone w/o a case. I wear the leather case on my waistband when I'm out, so to use the phone, I have to use it "naked" which makes it easier to drop. I've almost dropped it several times when removing it from the leather case. It's a shame that the storm won't fit into the leather case with the silicone case installed. At home, I try to keep it in the silicone case for better gripping. Also, I have insurance (the first time I've sprung for insurance on any cell, and I've had cells since 1998) just in case.
    07-19-10 10:07 AM
    Would you be adding a line or upgrading on another line to get the Incredible? If you just upgraded to S2 3 months ago I would think an insurance claim would put you back into another S2. Luckily you have the S1 to use in the meantime.
    Yes, insurance claim would be much cheaper. My fiancee said he'd buy me the Droid if I wanted. He's considering one and I think he feels I'm going to be jealous once he gets it. LOL
    07-19-10 10:08 AM
    I'm pretty paranoid about holding my phone w/o a case. I wear the leather case on my waistband when I'm out, so to use the phone, I have to use it "naked" which makes it easier to drop. I've almost dropped it several times when removing it from the leather case. It's a shame that the storm won't fit into the leather case with the silicone case installed. At home, I try to keep it in the silicone case for better gripping. Also, I have insurance (the first time I've sprung for insurance on any cell, and I've had cells since 1998) just in case.
    This is the second time my S2 took a fall, with silicone case on. First time I was in the mall standing when I dropped it. I don't believe it fell face down though.

This time, I was on the patio at home, had it in the cup holder of one of those folding chairs and fumbled it as I picked it up. So it fell only about 2 feet down but face first onto cement. It pains me just typing that.
    07-19-10 10:14 AM
    you could always order a new screen and replace it yourself or have your bf do it. they only cost about 30-40 bucks online....
    07-19-10 10:18 AM
    This is the second time my S2 took a fall, with silicone case on. First time I was in the mall standing when I dropped it. I don't believe it fell face down though.

This time, I was on the patio at home, had it in the cup holder of one of those folding chairs and fumbled it as I picked it up. So it fell only about 2 feet down but face first onto cement. It pains me just typing that.
    Hmmm...how about we tether your next phone to you with a 2' cord?

I once dropped a $6,500 insulin pump on a concrete patio. It quit working...but the mfgr replaced it so I wasn't out any money.

Whew! oh, and I also drowned one in Mission Bay, when I overturned the jetski my wife and I were on. Her pump model was waterproof, but mine was the older model which wasn't watertight. My pump quit a few days later. Again, the mfgr replaced it.
    Last edited by dave1812; 07-19-10 at 10:25 AM.
    07-19-10 10:22 AM
    Hmmm...how about we tether your next phone to you with a 2' cord?

I once dropped a $6,500 insulin pump on a concrete patio. It quit working...but the mfgr replaced it so I wasn't out any money.

Whew! oh, and I also drowned one in Mission Bay, when I overturned the jetski my wife and I were on. Her pump model was waterproof, but mine was the older model which wasn't watertight. My pump quit a few days later. Again, the mfgr replaced it.
    Wow, now those were expensive drops. At least they didn't cost you anything.

If I turn it into insurance..that will be a first for me. I've NEVER had anything happen to any of my phones over the last 14 years of having a cell. So, with that being said....do you know if I get MY S2 back or will they send me a different one?

PS tethering may not be a bad idea LOL
    Last edited by missyzane; 07-19-10 at 10:51 AM. Reason: more info
    07-19-10 10:47 AM
    you could always order a new screen and replace it yourself or have your bf do it. they only cost about 30-40 bucks online....
    Thanks for the idea.
    07-19-10 10:48 AM
    Thanks for the idea.
    There are a few how-to videos here:

replace storm2 screen - Google Search
    07-19-10 10:52 AM
    Wow, now those were expensive drops. At least they didn't cost you anything.

If I turn it into insurance..that will be a first for me. I've NEVER had anything happen to any of my phones over the last 14 years of having a cell. So, with that being said....do you know if I get MY S2 back or will they send me a different one?

PS tethering may not be a bad idea LOL
    The insurance is through Asurion and they send out refurbs (for a cost). You can google Asurion to see what you think of their service.
    07-19-10 10:59 AM
    You could replace it under the insurance, sell it on CB Marketplace/CL/EBay to help offset the cost of the Droid.
    07-19-10 11:22 AM
    The insurance is through Asurion and they send out refurbs (for a cost). You can google Asurion to see what you think of their service.
    Thanks.....That's what I heard and that upsets me. I paid good money for MY S2, and it works just fine aside from the shattered screen. I don't want a refurb that may not work as well.
    07-19-10 11:57 AM
    You could replace it under the insurance, sell it on CB Marketplace/CL/EBay to help offset the cost of the Droid.
    You're full of ideas. I'm taking notes lol
    07-19-10 11:58 AM
    I had mine replaced by Asurion and received a brand new one in the box, and all the goodies, 16gig micro-sd card, etc. all i had to return to them is the phone, no battery, no micro-sd card. cost me 50.00

good luck.
    07-19-10 12:14 PM
    Thanks.....That's what I heard and that upsets me. I paid good money for MY S2, and it works just fine aside from the shattered screen. I don't want a refurb that may not work as well.
    The refurbs are nothing to be afraid of. I had a refurb'd Storm that was perfect.
    07-19-10 12:17 PM
    Thanks to all of your replies I'm feeling much better about this whole thing. I'm 99 % sure I'm staying with blackberry. I will however, play with the fiancees Droid when he gets it to see what I think. I strongly believe I'd miss BB if I got something else, no matter what it was.

So, I'll be taking advantage of the insurance I've been paying for and see what I get..a new phone or a refurb...hopefully it'll all work out and at least my screen will no longer look like spiders took it over.
    07-19-10 01:07 PM
    Think I'm gonna wait on the Fascinate(Samsung Galaxy-S). May get the Droid-X and turn it in within 30 days when the Fascinate comes out(hopefully it will be within a month).
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 07-19-10 at 02:12 PM.
    07-19-10 01:36 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD