I have been letting my phone die all the way till it can't be turned on anymore... In efforts to recalibrate the battery (and have it last much longer)

But when It dies, I plug it into the charger so that I can recharge it. I also usually do a battery pull after the phone has died completely, and when I charge the phone, it turns on with "off" where my signal bars.

A simple restart fixes this, but I'm just curious as to if anyone else has this problem? I know the phone turns off the radio use when its about to die, but it doesn't turn on after a pull?
    01-11-09 05:41 AM
    i believe to does turn off when the battery dies and turns on in the same state as the radio was when it turned off. doing a complete drain once or twice is probably ok but any more and you are decreasing they cycle life of your batter.
    01-11-09 07:48 AM
    One has to be careful about how many times you do a full discharge on a lithium battery. Here is a great link that expalins lithium batterys and "Digital Memory"
    How to prolong lithium-based batteries
    01-11-09 08:40 AM
    One has to be careful about how many times you do a full discharge on a lithium battery. Here is a great link that expalins lithium batterys and "Digital Memory"
    How to prolong lithium-based batteries
    I was going to post this link.

Doing repeated complete discharges on a lithium ion battery is just dumb, and will do more damage than good.

Also, the phone turns off the radio when battery level is < 5%.
    01-11-09 08:50 AM
    Well at least I was right about calibrating my battery!
    And I understand the phone turns the radio off at 5%, but the fact that after I do a battery pull it still stays off, I thought that was weird.

Why was this moved to OS? I just want to see it .75 has this problem too, but its not an OS issue... I dont believe
    01-11-09 10:23 AM
    And I understand the phone turns the radio off at 5%, but the fact that after I do a battery pull it still stays off, I thought that was weird.
    If it's still under 5% after the battery pull, it's still going to remain off. It stays off until you have more than 5% even when it's charging.
    01-11-09 10:44 AM
    but in answer to your question as well...if you go to "manage connections" you can click "mobile network" and it will turn the radio back on. this way no batt pull needed.
    01-11-09 10:48 AM
    No, I do a battery pull because if im going to charge it, I like to have it reset, that way, I never usually have the problems with .85 like everyone else does, one pull a day keeps the bugs away!

And i do a simple on and off button to put the connections back on
    01-11-09 10:49 AM
    And i do a simple on and off button to put the connections back on
    You shouldn't have to do that unless you're letting your battery get low enough to turn off the radio connection and then doing the battery pull before you charge it. If you do a battery pull with it having more than 5% battery, your radio should have never turned off.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say.

Do your battery pull / quickreset before it gets low enough to turn the radio off, and charge it before it gets low enough to turn the radio off, and you won't have to worry about turning the radio back on.
    01-11-09 10:58 AM
    So does it not matter how many times you plug the battery in to recharge on a lithium battery or does doing this repeatedly harm battery life?
    01-11-09 11:13 AM
    So does it not matter how many times you plug the battery in to recharge on a lithium battery or does doing this repeatedly harm battery life?
    Until it's conditioned, it will harm battery life. Once it's been conditioned, it's not going to hurt it. This is why they tell you to let them drain to empty out of the box before charging them to full. It helps calibrate the batteries to hold a charge longer.
    01-11-09 01:47 PM
    If it's still under 5% after the battery pull, it's still going to remain off. It stays off until you have more than 5% even when it's charging.
    You have to manually turn the radio back on by going into the connections and clicking on wireless network. That will fix your problem.
    01-11-09 04:03 PM
    I will say this about battery life.... I charged my battery completely per the manufacturers recommendations. I have not found that I needed to completely drain my battery to "Re-calibrate" a brand new battery. I have had my Storm since Dec. 5. As for the battery draining quickly, I have found that if I am out of a service area (Such as the Ski mountain) and if I do not turn the radio off, by the end of the day my battery will be virtually dead. What is happening here is the phone constantly searches for a signal that is not there. If I turn the radio off as I get to the mountain (7:00AM) by the end of the day my battery is still fully charged. The 3G network is a big battery hog. If you let your phone go below 5% the radio turns off. Then you let the battery go until the phone dies, you will manually have to re-enable the radio after you re-charge the battery.
    01-11-09 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD