Come on, lets face it, BlackBerry Storm have a fairly inaccurate touch solution for the QWERTY keyboard, even the SurePress technology is a chore and definitely a pain to use sometimes.

The problem? Definitely the clicking. Cos of the need to click everytime to input a command, especially for folks with issues with hand pressure, like myself, the command that eventually get keyed into the Storm is just wrong.

What makes this worst is the not-so-intuitive text auto-correction.

Don't curse me, but being an iPhone 3G user before switching to the Storm, I've lots of qualms about typing speed, especially the click.

Don't get me wrong, incorporating the click into the Storm is probably one of the best decision IMO. It just make the Storm stands out, but hey, don't utilise it thoroughly throughout the interface!!!

Maybe make this an option that Storm users can choose to disable, or at least, allow text selection without clicking, and make the clicking a way to trigger the BB menu?!

That in my view, will improve the efficiency of typing.
    02-16-09 12:45 AM
    There will probably be some sort of 3rd party "update" to disable the click if that's what you want. I like the click, because I think it's cool to feel like you're pressing the button, but it's able to process when you just touch the letters without clicking (they highlight). So since it can do that, it could most-likely be made to actually input the letter that way, so you don't have to click the screen.
    02-16-09 12:50 AM
    Come on, lets face it, BlackBerry Storm have a fairly inaccurate touch solution for the QWERTY keyboard, even the SurePress technology is a chore and definitely a pain to use sometimes.

The problem? Definitely the clicking. Cos of the need to click everytime to input a command, especially for folks with issues with hand pressure, like myself, the command that eventually get keyed into the Storm is just wrong.

Don't curse me, but being an iPhone 3G user before switching to the Storm, I've lots of qualms about typing speed, especially the click.

Don't get me wrong, incorporating the click into the Storm is probably one of the best decision IMO. It just make the Storm stands out, but hey, don't utilise it thoroughly throughout the interface!!!

Maybe make this an option that Storm users can choose to disable, or at least, allow text selection without clicking, and make the clicking a way to trigger the BB menu?!

Are you sure you have it configured to perform optimally? A little tweaking and it works great. I am about a week into mine from a 8830 and I am typing as fast as I was on the 8830. Read some of the threads on how the tips and tweaks and you can get a better experience out of it. Also, an OS upgrade probably would not hurt. You are coming from a phone that has had years of tweaks, so give the Storm a little while to get all the bugs worked out. I know people that still curse their iPhones to this day at glitches and problems their current version have, none of these phones are going to be perfect as they keep adding more and more features.

I HATED the Storm when I tested it at the Verizon store the day it came out. It seemed buggy and crappy. It is MUCH better now, and if you see the OS .103 and future OS versions it will get closer to perfection.
    Last edited by ssrfanatic; 02-16-09 at 12:57 AM.
    02-16-09 12:54 AM
    It's all about your style. I personally grew to fall in love with surepress and all the features of the storm. I can type on a storm way faster than I can on an iphone, I fly now.
    02-16-09 12:59 AM
    Yeah it is all about style. I personally love the whole highlight, then click idea. I've used the iPhone heavily and can say the clicking of the Storm is much more useful then the popping of the iPhone.
    02-16-09 01:04 AM
    Are you sure you have it configured to perform optimally? A little tweaking and it works great. I am about a week into mine from a 8830 and I am typing as fast as I was on the 8830. Read some of the threads on how the tips and tweaks and you can get a better experience out of it. Also, an OS upgrade probably would not hurt. You are coming from a phone that has had years of tweaks, so give the Storm a little while to get all the bugs worked out. I know people that still curse their iPhones to this day at glitches and problems their current version have, none of these phones are going to be perfect as they keep adding more and more features.

I HATED the Storm when I tested it at the Verizon store the day it came out. It seemed buggy and crappy. It is MUCH better now, and if you see the OS .103 and future OS versions it will get closer to perfection.
    Definitely, which is why I'm on CrackBerry . I'm looking forward to every beta and every official release, since I'm from Singapore, using an unlocked set which really cost me tons for importing in from Vodafone Germany, just trying to make my every cents spent worth it.

I'll say Storm is my most exciting mobile phone purchase so far, what's more, I bought the Bold for my partner as well, which makes it even more significant. And comparison to Bold, I'm typing so much slower on the Storm, and surely, I'm going to give RIM sometime to iron the issues out, after all, BES is what I need for day-to-day work.

Plus, I assume there's lesser than 100 BlackBerry Storm users here in Singapore, where iPhone 3G is the bloody craze, which makes Storm a very unique, and exclusive device. Haha.

So yeah! I'm definitely go to stick around, and I've just discovered CrackBerry, will be trying out the .106 tonight. Storm 9500 btw, 3GSM is the sole network available in Singapore.
    Last edited by sliv; 02-16-09 at 01:09 AM.
    02-16-09 01:07 AM
    There will probably be some sort of 3rd party "update" to disable the click if that's what you want. I like the click, because I think it's cool to feel like you're pressing the button, but it's able to process when you just touch the letters without clicking (they highlight). So since it can do that, it could most-likely be made to actually input the letter that way, so you don't have to click the screen.
    That's something I pray very hard for now, 'cos I'm very sure, once there's an option to turn off click-register, or re-assign it for other purposes, Storm's touch solution for typing will be perfect, if not, better than any other solutions out there. IMO, iPhone's solution is flawed to, can never get accustomed to the lightly-touch-to-register kind of concept, just too superficial to me.

So yeah, Storm needs that!
    02-16-09 01:09 AM
    Well the Verizon rep at the store told me the Storm takes the average user 3 weeks to get used to, which seems long to me (most people would be angry and trashing something by then). I send A LOT of emails and texts and was very aggravated at first with my terrible mistyping. On day two I was already a lot better than the first day and now I am a week in and am typing as fast as I was on the 8830. I think I tend to not look at each key before I press, which is something once you get used to makes it a lot faster.
    02-16-09 01:16 AM
    It's all about your style. I personally grew to fall in love with surepress and all the features of the storm. I can type on a storm way faster than I can on an iphone, I fly now.
    I love the click feature too, just that, after an unfortunate accident which left my fingers slightly weak at times, it's a chore for me to click during typing. I don't mind clicking during selection of application, or for the right-click-menu, but for typing, it'll definitely speed up more if click is not necessary.

Face it, for typing, if you've tried the iPhone, its definitely much snappier. Of course, I don't blame the click for everything, the auto-correction, word-guess and other intuitive technologies that build into the OS is just too immature right now.

I'm hoping after the next official update will iron out these teething issues. 'Cos I'm not able to give up on the Storm, but I'm not going to be tolerating it forever, RIM, please do something about user experience!
    02-16-09 01:20 AM
    For me the problem isn't the click it's the fact that I cannot always tell what key my finger is over because the blue halo is hidden under my fingers. If the phone had a popup similar to iphone or some other way to show what key I'm over my error rate would goto almost zero.
    02-16-09 01:35 AM
    I love the click feature too, just that, after an unfortunate accident which left my fingers slightly weak at times, it's a chore for me to click during typing. I don't mind clicking during selection of application, or for the right-click-menu, but for typing, it'll definitely speed up more if click is not necessary.

Face it, for typing, if you've tried the iPhone, its definitely much snappier. Of course, I don't blame the click for everything, the auto-correction, word-guess and other intuitive technologies that build into the OS is just too immature right now.

I'm hoping after the next official update will iron out these teething issues. 'Cos I'm not able to give up on the Storm, but I'm not going to be tolerating it forever, RIM, please do something about user experience!
    the point that you're trying to make, and im asking for clarification, is that you want the "choice" to turn the surepress off b/c of your "accident". it's not RIM's problem or fault, you just want to be able to decide for your personal use if you want the click or not? right?
    02-16-09 01:52 AM

you knew clicking the screen was the main feature of the phone before you got it... u had opportunity to go test it at a store before buying it... why complain now? not attacking you just wondering thats all
    02-16-09 02:03 AM
    the point that you're trying to make, and im asking for clarification, is that you want the "choice" to turn the surepress off b/c of your "accident". it's not RIM's problem or fault, you just want to be able to decide for your personal use if you want the click or not? right?
    Well, yes. I just need the feature to turn that off now, which since I'm not a software developer, can't do anything about, but to propose something of this sort, which I believe will eventually benefit alot.

As for the "ironing problems", I was referring to the draggy interface experience, camera lag, orientation change lag and animation with low frame rates. Of course, I wouldn't consider SurePress a "problem", but merely a feature which I have lots of practical use for, to be allowed to be temporary switched off, or allowed to be re-assigned for other usage, such as SurePress for right-click-menu.

Seeing that Opera Mini 4.2 allows for that (i.e., alternative used instead of click to register), I think this can be done, and typing will definitely be more efficient for many.
    02-16-09 02:04 AM
    you knew clicking the screen was the main feature of the phone before you got it... u had opportunity to go test it at a store before buying it... why complain now? not attacking you just wondering thats all
    Which is why I keep reiterating, I love the click. The click is one of the reason why I chose to ditch iPhone for this, because I kept selecting the wrong apps on iPhone, and more crippling, no BES on it.

I don't mind clicking to select apps, music or anything that is not typing, since that's the main reason why I switched, but typing with SurePress is a little difficult for me. So, if SurePress can be temporary disabled for typing, or re-assigned, that'll be great for me.

And no, I didn't have the chance to try the Storm, because Storm haven't been launch in Singapore or even Asia yet. I imported it from Germany. But of course, I done my fair share of research. Still, there's aspects of the phone that I overlooked.
    02-16-09 02:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD