It's the little things that irritate me lately and sending an SMS on a BlackBerry is one of them. Is there something I am missing? Why do I have to hit so many keys?

I saw that a program exists, but I think it's crap that I have to spend $7 of course. This should be in the OS for christ sakes..

It should be Send SMS > Contact = now start typing message...

/rant

Have a good day folks.
    01-21-09 12:11 PM
    Am I missing something? The only other thing I do extra is that I choose what address or phone I want to sms to? I didn't know it was that bad...
    01-21-09 12:15 PM
    There is an icon for compose, select SMS, select contact, select number for contact. Its not difficult or time consuming at all.
    01-21-09 12:18 PM
    ...it's the same way on any blackberry...this is a smartphone with multiple messaging type capabilities, not your run of the mill cell phone...
    01-21-09 12:18 PM
    yeah just pick name and choose send sms then start typing if thats to hard go back to "phone" and not a device
    01-21-09 12:22 PM
    It's the little things that irritate me

I guess it's the little things that bother you. You're only missing one step in the way that you say it should be, and that's selecting which number to send it to. How long does that take to do? A quarter of a second?
    01-21-09 12:23 PM
    It bothers me because I feel that it should default to the mobile number. My phone works great, so I have to pick something... :P
    Seriously though, why does it not default to mobile number?
    01-21-09 12:24 PM
    I think you need a drink.
    01-21-09 12:27 PM
    I think you need a drink.
    Maybe I have had to much coffee this morning.
    01-21-09 12:29 PM
    Why don't you just go into contacts (hold green key) find the person you want (either scroll or filter by letter), blackberry key, send SMS. That's actually much faster and fewer steps than my dumb phone.

As an aside, I personally like having several different ways to send a new message. If I'm reading an e-mail and I suddenly realize I want to text someone, I can just hit compose and hit SMS instead of having to back out and use a different interface.
    01-21-09 12:35 PM
    It bothers me because I feel that it should default to the mobile number. My phone works great, so I have to pick something... :P
    Seriously though, why does it not default to mobile number?
    Mine does. If I go to SMS, add contact, the first number to get highlighted is the mobile. This happens no matter if the contact has emails, or a home/work number. The mobile number is already highlighted for you.
    01-21-09 12:55 PM
    It's the little things that irritate me lately and sending an SMS on a BlackBerry is one of them. Is there something I am missing? Why do I have to hit so many keys?

I saw that a program exists, but I think it's crap that I have to spend $7 of course. This should be in the OS for christ sakes..

/rant

Have a good day folks.
    because the phone sucks.. get used to it
    01-21-09 01:40 PM
    The bad carpenter always blames his tools

You suck your blackberry SMARTphone does not

Hahahahahaha

Kidding

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 02:08 PM
    I laugh at the guy who said the phone sucks. You must be experiencing the id10t or the pebkac error.

01-21-09 02:33 PM
    Is there a way to do a group text? For example to text multiple people at once without importing each name everytime. Is there a way to have several contacts mobile # set to one combined contact?
    01-21-09 02:45 PM
    if u separte your sms and emails then unhide your compose icon and go there to send an sms. literally 2 steps and i'm done
    01-21-09 02:52 PM
    Is there a way to do a group text? For example to text multiple people at once without importing each name everytime. Is there a way to have several contacts mobile # set to one combined contact?
    I've only seen this option when sending an mms message but it would work the same way. Compose new mms, click on bb menu, select new group, call it whatever you like, add members and phone numbers and presto!

01-21-09 02:59 PM
    agreed, sms on blackberry not that great. On my old 700p - press shortcut key for messages, select conversation log with that person, type message.

With the blackberry, you don't even get to log until they reply to you (which is annoying). So I can't even hit the "reply" button unless they send me a message, or else i'd have to do "compose" and retype their name, select number, etc.
    01-21-09 03:07 PM
    agreed, sms on blackberry not that great. On my old 700p - press shortcut key for messages, select conversation log with that person, type message.

With the blackberry, you don't even get to log until they reply to you (which is annoying). So I can't even hit the "reply" button unless they send me a message, or else i'd have to do "compose" and retype their name, select number, etc.
    Could you elaborate a bit more on the bolded part? What I don't get is, where do you get the conversation log from? Unless you've already been exchanging messages with someone then how can it be there? Wouldn't it be the same for the storm? I get to see all the messages from each person and I would simply click and reply.
    01-21-09 03:18 PM
    Is there anyway to get around the limited text message length? I am sure there must be, but I am rather new with this thing.
    01-21-09 03:19 PM

Yea my Treo with Threaded SMS seemed much easier.
    01-21-09 03:24 PM
    Seriously people, you need to read or experiment a little.

Go into contacts, bb menu, new group. Add contacts you want to that group then you can just sms the group.

This is BB 101 folks.
    01-21-09 03:27 PM
    Is there anyway to get around the limited text message length? I am sure there must be, but I am rather new with this thing.
    You get 160 chars. SMS = SHORT message service. If you want to type out a novel to your "friends" use email or mms.
    01-21-09 03:30 PM
    its complicated if you go the long way, (inbox/compose/add contact/enter txt/send) but if you go into contacts and send sms, or go into contacts and "send sms" its no biggie. and theres a hidden icon for compose also, to make things even quicker. there's nothing complicated or any more longer than on a regular blackberry, but the touch screen does make it more involved and less keypad shortcuts like i'd do on the curve and pearl.
    01-21-09 03:32 PM
    I felt similar as this individual in the first day or 2 of my bb. But once i learned ALL (i should say most) the features, i wasn't nearly as peeved about it.

Like most things in life, things that are different we resist. Basically meaning.. just get used to using the phone.

As for multiple contacts to send a single text.. i have no problem continuing to add To:
    01-21-09 03:40 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD