well my thing is why is it apple can offer a discount and verizon cant bwn i had the old iphone and the newer one came out all i had to pay was $200 i think all carriers should be like that mostly since its basically the same phone
    I don't think Apple offered a special upgrade price for the iphone when the iphone 3G came out.

Apple DID offer a store credit rebate when the original iphone came out because about 3-4 months after release they nixed the 4gb model and had a $100 price cut on the 8gb and 16gb models.

I think RIM/Verizon should consider the latter if they do decide on a summer release for the Storm 2, assuming a new OS is not out prior to release.

Now if the S2 is not released until the fall, then current owners can just upgrade at the promotional price, and I don't think there is any big deal.
    05-26-09 10:49 AM
    I think the key here is customer satisfaction. As others have mentioned, it's not about the evolution of technology. It's about an extremely poorly supported device that has obviously turned out to be - intentionally or not - a bridge device for the Storm 2. Not a true next-gen phone. Being a plank on the bridge does not make me feel like a valued customer.

When the new iPhone comes out, assuming it has the upgrades I'm looking for, I will be calling Verizon to tell them how disappointing my Storm experience has been, including (1) completely failing to provide critical OS upgrades and (2) abandoning the clickscreen technology that was the major selling point on the phone.

They get to make decisions about their business. And I get to make decisions about my wireless account. I am only on a one-year contract, so I've got about five months left on it. If they are willing to let me upgrade to either Storm 2 or Tour when those are released (at price with standard 2-year contract), I will stay. Otherwise, I'll switch.
    05-26-09 12:02 PM
    what he said.

I think the key here is customer satisfaction. As others have mentioned, it's not about the evolution of technology. It's about an extremely poorly supported device that has obviously turned out to be - intentionally or not - a bridge device for the Storm 2. Not a true next-gen phone. Being a plank on the bridge does not make me feel like a valued customer.

When the new iPhone comes out, assuming it has the upgrades I'm looking for, I will be calling Verizon to tell them how disappointing my Storm experience has been, including (1) completely failing to provide critical OS upgrades and (2) abandoning the clickscreen technology that was the major selling point on the phone.

They get to make decisions about their business. And I get to make decisions about my wireless account. I am only on a one-year contract, so I've got about five months left on it. If they are willing to let me upgrade to either Storm 2 or Tour when those are released (at price with standard 2-year contract), I will stay. Otherwise, I'll switch.
    05-26-09 12:19 PM
    Couple examples of why you are an *****. Right now we currently still sell the env2, Voyager and BB Curve...within the next couple weeks to a month we are releasing the Env3,Env Touch and Tour. If you are not informed enough to read up on your "major" purchase that is your fault, not verizon. So we are suppose to stop seling a product because the new and improved one is releasing next week, i dont think so. BTW, you had 30 days to return Storm 1 if you didnt like it.
    ok did anyone else happen to read what he said about "a new and improved one being released next week" ? if he does work for verizon does he know anything?
    05-26-09 12:28 PM
    ok did anyone else happen to read what he said about "a new and improved one being released next week" ? if he does work for verizon does he know anything?
    No, he was speaking hypothetically.
    05-26-09 12:30 PM
    oh ok figured he wouldnt really know anything....but does anyone have any info on how the "Verizon techs are being trained on the phone"?
    05-26-09 12:33 PM
    oh ok figured he wouldnt really know anything....but does anyone have any info on how the "Verizon techs are being trained on the phone"?

That's all hearsay. Many VZW techs have come forward and said there has been NO training regarding the Storm 2 as of yet.
    05-26-09 01:04 PM
    After the announcement of the 2nd iteration they are suddenly "disappointed" in the device. Now they feel cheated and abandoned.

predictable : )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 01:24 PM
    Why the heck would they do something "special" for 1st iteration owners? Just to be nice? LOL

They should do something nice for the people that bought Curves and Pearls recently too.

Look you bought a device that they were offering at that time and signed an agreement WHICH THEY ARE HONORING and have honored. That they owe you.

If in that agreement there is mention of upgrading at a discounted price if a newer model 9530 was released within a 12 month period then ok. If not they are not going to do something nice for you lol. Come on just saying that sounds ridiculous.

You've been watching Oprah for too long : )

Btw thanks for the box of sugar free HaterO's. I appreciate the gesture but I only eat organic foods.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

this pretty much sums it up... and should be posted right on the front of CB.. I still like my storm just ready to have a keyboard. I will pay the money that it costs I don't deserve a upgrade as I signed a contract.
    05-26-09 02:15 PM
    People just dont understand that technology is ever changing...if you want o keep up with it you have to spring the extra cash...
    05-26-09 02:16 PM
    I sent an email to customer care. Don't ask why I wasted my time. Basically, the email was how I am relatively (loosely stated) satisfied with the storm but the release of a new one when most of us just upgraded and signed a new 2 year contract was a little "Apple/AT&T Esque". Before we get into the "Its technology, it changes" or "There are risks in purchasing 1st gen devices" debate I want to make one thing clear. My intention of the letter was to point out that it would be fair and good business to offer a substantial/free discount to trade up and that I acknowledged that I made the decision to purchase the phone. Here is the response I received.

Good Morning Mr. XXXXXX. Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is Melodee, I understand that you would like information regarding upgrading your phone if an updated model becomes available. As a Blackberry user myself, I can certainly understand that it is desirable to have the phone that works best. I am so sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with your Blackberry Storm and I will be more than happy to assist you today.

At this time we have no information on when or if a newer version of the Blackberry Storm will be released. Generally, if a new device is released and you want to upgrade, you would be responsible for full retail price if you are ineligible for promotional pricing. However, due to the fact that the device you have mentioned has not been released and there is no further information on the device, I would be unable to provide any information regards any exchanges, upgrades, etc.

I show that your phone was exchanged once on 12/26/2008 and once on 2/19/2009. If you are experiencing issues with your Storm, I would encourage you to download the latest version of software and register your device online at Smartphones, Cell Phones & Smart Phones at BlackBerry.com. By registering your device, you will receive updates when new software releases are available.

If you have updated your software and are still experiencing specific issues, please contact our Data Technical Support Department directly 1-800-922-0204 from a landline phone for further assistance.

Mr. XXXXXX, I hope the information I have provided about upgrading your phone if an updated model becomes available is helpful. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Melodee
    Verizon Wireless Customer Service Manager

That basically seals it. No upgrade discount. Download the latest software from BlackBerry.com? Wow. Sometimes you have to laugh so you don't cry. I was a fanboy of BlackBerry prior to Verizon and will continue to be one. However, it appears as if my next phone may be on another carrier.
    Just negotiate. If you are a relatively new customer that is one thing, but if you have been with Verizon and you know how to negotiate it shouldn't be too hard to get them to upgrade you early
    05-26-09 03:17 PM
    you must not have ever bought a phone before your upgrade was due. plenty of people paid full retail for the storm. i added a 5th line of service (which i have no use for) so that i could pay $200. asking for a replacement of equal value on a phone that has had repeated problems is both fair and ethical.

Actually I have

If you paid full retail for a Storm, you didn't upgrade your contract when you bought the phone. Therefore, you wouldn't be getting a SECOND discounted phone, like so many people seem to be entitled to in this thread.
    05-26-09 10:35 PM
    The iPhone to iPhone 3G upgrade promotion was Apple's marketing baby to generate hype... there's not a single other cell manufacturer or carrier that does business like that, so I doubt it will happen, regardless of the Storm's problems. You never know though, enough people complain hard enough to Verizon and they might budge, I wouldn't expect much of a discount though. Realistically though, if you're having serious problems with your phone, try to get a replacement now, not when "the next best thing" comes out, it comes off as a bit entitled, as others were saying. If enough Storms had been returned to VZW in the first days due to issues... maybe they would have gotten the point. If it's really that unusable, you could have traded it for a Curve. If you needed a touchscreen that worked "as advertised" you could have gotten a Palm or Win Mobile, even the JesusPhone itself... I'm not trying to argue here, I'm just pointing out the reasons I think that many of the others are calling out this thread
    05-27-09 03:39 AM
    look at the big picture here folks, it's not the fact that new technology came out its the fact that they knew a storm 2 was coming out and it seems that verizon has neglected to work on the problems with the first version. We are basically being told that "well hey we know there are major issues with the phone and we just don't care anymore because we'll sweep that probhlem under the carpet because a new phone with no expected problems will be coming out. o yeah not to mention we have you by the ba**s so you'll have to deal with it, like it or not" it's just bad business really, it's all about keeping the customers you have and making more along the lines. Verizon has great service but that's where it stops. Problems fall to the waist side cause they have their money already, why fix stuff....that costs money right...they don't care if the consumer is happy or not after the purchase
    05-28-09 02:17 PM
    i dont really mind the storm 2 coming out , however i definitely agree with njbournes statement.
    05-28-09 02:23 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD