I sent an email to customer care. Don't ask why I wasted my time. Basically, the email was how I am relatively (loosely stated) satisfied with the storm but the release of a new one when most of us just upgraded and signed a new 2 year contract was a little "Apple/AT&T Esque". Before we get into the "Its technology, it changes" or "There are risks in purchasing 1st gen devices" debate I want to make one thing clear. My intention of the letter was to point out that it would be fair and good business to offer a substantial/free discount to trade up and that I acknowledged that I made the decision to purchase the phone. Here is the response I received.

Good Morning Mr. XXXXXX. Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is Melodee, I understand that you would like information regarding upgrading your phone if an updated model becomes available. As a Blackberry user myself, I can certainly understand that it is desirable to have the phone that works best. I am so sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with your Blackberry Storm and I will be more than happy to assist you today.

At this time we have no information on when or if a newer version of the Blackberry Storm will be released. Generally, if a new device is released and you want to upgrade, you would be responsible for full retail price if you are ineligible for promotional pricing. However, due to the fact that the device you have mentioned has not been released and there is no further information on the device, I would be unable to provide any information regards any exchanges, upgrades, etc.

I show that your phone was exchanged once on 12/26/2008 and once on 2/19/2009. If you are experiencing issues with your Storm, I would encourage you to download the latest version of software and register your device online at Smartphones, Cell Phones & Smart Phones at BlackBerry.com. By registering your device, you will receive updates when new software releases are available.

If you have updated your software and are still experiencing specific issues, please contact our Data Technical Support Department directly 1-800-922-0204 from a landline phone for further assistance.

Mr. XXXXXX, I hope the information I have provided about upgrading your phone if an updated model becomes available is helpful. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Melodee
    Verizon Wireless Customer Service Manager

That basically seals it. No upgrade discount. Download the latest software from BlackBerry.com? Wow. Sometimes you have to laugh so you don't cry. I was a fanboy of BlackBerry prior to Verizon and will continue to be one. However, it appears as if my next phone may be on another carrier.
    05-23-09 02:55 PM
    There is only one phone that I can think of that offered a cheaper "upgrade"...the iPhone to the iPhone 3G, which people could purchase at a very slightly lower price.

Look at the other ones. Blackjack to Blackjack 2? Nothing. Envy to Envy 2? Nothing.

Fact is, technology changes. Phones change. I hate to sound like a complete ahole, but that's what happens when you buy a phone...three months down the road, new technology will be invented, and a newer model will be released. Why should the carrier have to pay for you to have *newer* technology? You don't see TV Companies offering discounts because you have the same TV. Look at cars. Cars change every year. My 2004 BMW was different then a 2005 BMW. Did I expect a discount or a free car, simply because technology and the design has changed? Nope.

If you really want a Storm 2, then buy a Storm 2. If you want to go with other carriers, that's awesome.
    05-23-09 03:25 PM
    i see verizon releasing their "approved" os upgrade for storm then a few weeks or a month later releasing the storm 2. basically giving them the arguement "look your phone works now, you don't have a reason to upgrade at a discounted price." keep in mind though corporate vzw store managers have the option to give you a phone at whatever price they so desire. if you're convincing enough and pad the pocket (i.e. give them personally your storm in perfect condition with all accessories) you might have success. all comes down to the person you're talking to and the way you talk to them.
    05-23-09 03:35 PM
    You wrote to Verizon and ask them to give you a discount/free upgrade to a phone that's not even release yet? Genius!!!
    If you wanna jump carrier...its a free country buddy
    05-23-09 03:53 PM
    Amazing you feel entitled to a discounted upgrade. Nobody is going to get a discounted upgrade and rightfully so.

Your enjoying your Storm. If you want the newest one, open up your wallet and pay full retail like the rest of VZW customers who are not eligible for upgrades.

Your entitled to nothing until your 2 years is up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 04:27 PM
    Right because another carrier would give you a free phone. /sigh.
    05-23-09 04:51 PM
    Amazing you feel entitled to a discounted upgrade. Nobody is going to get a discounted upgrade and rightfully so.

Your enjoying your Storm. If you want the newest one, open up your wallet and pay full retail like the rest of VZW customers who are not eligible for upgrades.

Your entitled to nothing until your 2 years is up.

Actually, you're entitled to a $25 discount after your first year if you sign up again for 2 years. Used to be $50 (basically 1/2 of your NE2 discount), but the cheapskates decided it would be a good idea to join the other corporate companies and shaft the consumer because the CEO doesn't have enough money coming in to play golf with all his buddies each day after his 2 hour lunch at the club.
    05-23-09 05:20 PM
    Shenanigans

Get ready to be pistol whipped
    05-23-09 05:25 PM
    Why do people feel frustrated and "entitled" to a Storm 2 just because they got a Storm 1? The only thing you should want, is a better os. Besides that, you knew about the features and the click screen. If the Storm 2 comes out, and an official Storm 1 os isn't released that resolves the issues, then demand that they replace your phone with a Storm 2. Other than that, the complaints about Storm 2 is pretty ridiculous.
    05-23-09 05:27 PM
    ... but the cheapskates decided it would be a good idea to join the other corporate companies and shaft the consumer because the CEO doesn't have enough money coming in to play golf with all his buddies each day after his 2 hour lunch at the club.
    Yeah, because EVERYBODY offers a NE2 discount! Hmm, let's try no. I was with Sprint for 5 years and NEVER got a discount on new equipment. It was 2-year contract pricing, everytime.

$50 is still better then $0, anyway you slice it.

05-23-09 05:40 PM
    Couple examples of why you are an *****. Right now we currently still sell the env2, Voyager and BB Curve...within the next couple weeks to a month we are releasing the Env3,Env Touch and Tour. If you are not informed enough to read up on your "major" purchase that is your fault, not verizon. So we are suppose to stop seling a product because the new and improved one is releasing next week, i dont think so. BTW, you had 30 days to return Storm 1 if you didnt like it.
    05-23-09 05:41 PM
    I would have waited, exchanged your phone 1 more time, and then called up to cancel the service....

Then, give them the story about your phone, and I bet they would have upgraded for you....
    05-23-09 06:04 PM
    Shenanigans

Get ready to be pistol whipped
    Hehehe... LOL

05-23-09 07:12 PM
    well my thing is why is it apple can offer a discount and verizon cant bwn i had the old iphone and the newer one came out all i had to pay was $200 i think all carriers should be like that mostly since its basically the same phone
    05-24-09 01:01 AM
    Why do people feel frustrated and "entitled" to a Storm 2 just because they got a Storm 1? The only thing you should want, is a better os. Besides that, you knew about the features and the click screen. If the Storm 2 comes out, and an official Storm 1 os isn't released that resolves the issues, then demand that they replace your phone with a Storm 2. Other than that, the complaints about Storm 2 is pretty ridiculous.
    Because the original iPhone owners got a discount on the 3G when it came out...
    05-24-09 01:14 AM
    There is only one phone that I can think of that offered a cheaper "upgrade"...the iPhone to the iPhone 3G, which people could purchase at a very slightly lower price.

Look at the other ones. Blackjack to Blackjack 2? Nothing. Envy to Envy 2? Nothing.

Fact is, technology changes. Phones change. I hate to sound like a complete ahole, but that's what happens when you buy a phone...three months down the road, new technology will be invented, and a newer model will be released. Why should the carrier have to pay for you to have *newer* technology? You don't see TV Companies offering discounts because you have the same TV. Look at cars. Cars change every year. My 2004 BMW was different then a 2005 BMW. Did I expect a discount or a free car, simply because technology and the design has changed? Nope.

If you really want a Storm 2, then buy a Storm 2. If you want to go with other carriers, that's awesome.
    Because your a fireman I will explain this slowly and dumb it down a little (Relax, just a little blue vs. red teasing)
    1. I don't feel entitled to receive anything. As I explain in the OP I knew what I was getting into. I do feel that if VZ is releasing a phone that is generally a "fix" to the major issues of the previous model it makes for good customer service to offer an incentive to upgrade. Even the jesus phone did that.
    2. Its nice that you drive a BMW...is it red with a light bar on top?
    3. As Civic pointed out, VZ is getting tighter with money and consequently I think we will see a decline in customer satisfaction across the board.

I am relatively happy with the phone, although its my third one, and I probably will fork out the money for the next one. The purpose of the post was to show how VZ (at this point) has no intentions of doing what is right by their 1st Gen storm customers when the new one is released. Now you can go back to your recliner and xbox while the rest of us actually work for a living.....jk
    05-24-09 01:36 AM
    Couple examples of why you are an *****. Right now we currently still sell the env2, Voyager and BB Curve...within the next couple weeks to a month we are releasing the Env3,Env Touch and Tour. If you are not informed enough to read up on your "major" purchase that is your fault, not verizon. So we are suppose to stop seling a product because the new and improved one is releasing next week, i dont think so. BTW, you had 30 days to return Storm 1 if you didnt like it.
    Wow...such angst. Put down the gun, everything will be ok. Don't fret little guy, tomorrow's a new day.
    05-24-09 01:40 AM
    I sent an email to customer care. Don't ask why I wasted my time. Basically, the email was how I am relatively (loosely stated) satisfied with the storm but the release of a new one when most of us just upgraded and signed a new 2 year contract was a little "Apple/AT&T Esque". Before we get into the "Its technology, it changes" or "There are risks in purchasing 1st gen devices" debate I want to make one thing clear. My intention of the letter was to point out that it would be fair and good business to offer a substantial/free discount to trade up and that I acknowledged that I made the decision to purchase the phone. Here is the response I received.

Good Morning Mr. XXXXXX. Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is Melodee, I understand that you would like information regarding upgrading your phone if an updated model becomes available. As a Blackberry user myself, I can certainly understand that it is desirable to have the phone that works best. I am so sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with your Blackberry Storm and I will be more than happy to assist you today.

At this time we have no information on when or if a newer version of the Blackberry Storm will be released. Generally, if a new device is released and you want to upgrade, you would be responsible for full retail price if you are ineligible for promotional pricing. However, due to the fact that the device you have mentioned has not been released and there is no further information on the device, I would be unable to provide any information regards any exchanges, upgrades, etc.

I show that your phone was exchanged once on 12/26/2008 and once on 2/19/2009. If you are experiencing issues with your Storm, I would encourage you to download the latest version of software and register your device online at Smartphones, Cell Phones & Smart Phones at BlackBerry.com. By registering your device, you will receive updates when new software releases are available.

If you have updated your software and are still experiencing specific issues, please contact our Data Technical Support Department directly 1-800-922-0204 from a landline phone for further assistance.

Mr. XXXXXX, I hope the information I have provided about upgrading your phone if an updated model becomes available is helpful. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Melodee
    Verizon Wireless Customer Service Manager

That basically seals it. No upgrade discount. Download the latest software from BlackBerry.com? Wow. Sometimes you have to laugh so you don't cry. I was a fanboy of BlackBerry prior to Verizon and will continue to be one. However, it appears as if my next phone may be on another carrier.

ummm....

we know about the phone because people are leaking information about it...

its not information thats supposed to be fully available to the public -- Rim announced that the storm 2 is in the pipeline they never stated when it was coming or how close to done it is...

The verizon person said and told you exactly what they were supposed to tell you.

so the theory of it not coming is totally bunk.
    05-24-09 03:22 AM
    I'm thinking the VZW did exactly as they were trained...express sympathy, relate yourself to their situation, and explain the rules of the game. That's right - it's just a game... She clearly told you how to go about receiving compensation for your troubled Storm - Contact support about each and every issue, have it continually replaced. If I recall, VZW does have a replacement policy, whether written or unwritten, where as they will replace a 'broken' phone 3 or 4x then they will offer (possibly, only if asked) to replace the phone with a different model.

I did this several years ago with an old (non-BB) flip I had. Ended up getting a better phone in the long run, but, I paid my dues and worked with VZW each time to correct the issue, civally.

No one is entitled to anything here. Apple and AT&T have their own incentive programs that may or may not work. Verizon doesn't need to follow anyone in that regard....but, if you play the game correctly, you can get what you want.

BTW - I wouldn't expect any CS rep to disclose information about a non-released or non-carrier announced phone.
    05-24-09 07:01 AM
    Because your a fireman I will explain this slowly and dumb it down a little (Relax, just a little blue vs. red teasing)
    1. I don't feel entitled to receive anything. As I explain in the OP I knew what I was getting into. I do feel that if VZ is releasing a phone that is generally a "fix" to the major issues of the previous model it makes for good customer service to offer an incentive to upgrade. Even the jesus phone did that.
    2. Its nice that you drive a BMW...is it red with a light bar on top?
    3. As Civic pointed out, VZ is getting tighter with money and consequently I think we will see a decline in customer satisfaction across the board.

I am relatively happy with the phone, although its my third one, and I probably will fork out the money for the next one. The purpose of the post was to show how VZ (at this point) has no intentions of doing what is right by their 1st Gen storm customers when the new one is released. Now you can go back to your recliner and xbox while the rest of us actually work for a living.....jk
    Haha. Thanks for making me laugh

I'm a Volunteer Firefighter, not a paid firefighter. I'm a Fraud Prevention Manager for living. So I make money, and don't bust peoples asses all day long.

Let me explain this in a way that you understand.

You are 10-2 about the issues you pointed out. I agree with the "jesus phone" about what you said. Depending on your 10-20, you may or may not be in a large market area where the Storms are very common. Before we have a 10-54d on our hands and need a 10-55d, lets think logically. If verizon were to offer an incentive on Storms, would it only be fair that it offers it on other devices as well? Or is it just the storm?

Oh, and no the BMW isn't Red and it doesn't have a lightbar on top. Although red is a good color

Stay safe out there man.
    05-24-09 07:51 AM
    Right because another carrier would give you a free phone. /sigh.
    This is always the stupidest statement that consumers make.

Yes a new carrier would give you a discount with new service, but the would turn you down just the same if you had upgraded with them 6 months ago. Simple concept, carriers take a loss on phones, make it back after about 10-20 months, depending on the phone discount and the plan. This is always the stupidest statement that consumers make. That is why vzw lets the main line upgrade every year, more revenue on that line.

I really dont expect this phone to come out in two monthes anyways, now that would suprise me,
    05-24-09 11:47 AM
    I'm thinking the VZW did exactly as they were trained...express sympathy, relate yourself to their situation, and explain the rules of the game. That's right - it's just a game... She clearly told you how to go about receiving compensation for your troubled Storm - Contact support about each and every issue, have it continually replaced. If I recall, VZW does have a replacement policy, whether written or unwritten, where as they will replace a 'broken' phone 3 or 4x then they will offer (possibly, only if asked) to replace the phone with a different model.

I did this several years ago with an old (non-BB) flip I had. Ended up getting a better phone in the long run, but, I paid my dues and worked with VZW each time to correct the issue, civally.

No one is entitled to anything here. Apple and AT&T have their own incentive programs that may or may not work. Verizon doesn't need to follow anyone in that regard....but, if you play the game correctly, you can get what you want.

BTW - I wouldn't expect any CS rep to disclose information about a non-released or non-carrier announced phone.
    Well said........
    05-24-09 11:48 AM
    You're jumping way ahead of the game. The phone hasn't been realeased yet.
    She was just giving u a vanilla statement. Be patient be hopeful. They know that if they upgrade u that u are more likely to stay longer.
    They make off of customers who purchase the month service. Yes they
    know this.
    I am hopeful that VZW will give current users who bought S1 some love; especially those of us who bought the phone in Nov/Dec/Jan.....
    Keep the faith bayyyyybeeeee.............
    05-24-09 12:22 PM
    1. I don't feel entitled to receive anything. As I explain in the OP I knew what I was getting into. I do feel that if VZ is releasing a phone that is generally a "fix" to the major issues of the previous model it makes for good customer service to offer an incentive to upgrade.
    talking out of both sides of your mouth I see.

05-24-09 12:29 PM
    I am hopeful that VZW will give current users who bought S1 some love; especially those of us who bought the phone in Nov/Dec/Jan.....
    Keep the faith bayyyyybeeeee.............
    With this type of reasoning they owe the people that bought Curves and Pearls in that time frame the same.

Storm owners are somehow granted a special pass? Lol come on Trendy you should know better than that.

05-24-09 12:35 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD