View Poll Results: Do you have problems with selection tool and selecting text?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 75.00%
  • No

12 25.00%
  • I don't use it

0 0%
    Since I've got my Storm2 I have this issue, when I try copy a part of text in browser, sms, e-mail, word2go,... the selection markers are "jumpy", here's a little walkthrough what's happening:
    1.I find a text I wanna copy
    2.I tap over the text (1.st finger placed at start of text, 2.nd at the end) making the text blue
    3.(here the problem appears) The text isn't fully chosen(few words missing) and then I try to choose the words by moving markers left, right, up, down
    4.Now I've selected those extra words that were missing(my finger has not left the screen, I'm still touching the screen) and I lift my finger from the screen, to press "copy" but right after lifting my finger the text changes, the "viewing position" changes, like I made a flick with my finger to move up on a pageđ
    5. My text is out of the screen, and I have to scroll back to it and meanwhile hope that the selection hasn't changed.

If you have ever experienced this kind of problem, then you will know what I'm talking about, because it's hard to explain it, but I hope you get the idea.
    Any thoughts on how to solve this issue? And yea, overall the "select" function is very hard to use for me so far, very laggy and inaccurate(I don't have big fingers, to not be accurate) any help would really be appreciated.
    05-04-10 04:35 AM
    Tap 500
    Hover 1000
    Sensitivity High

Try these settings under options/screen keyboard

You will prob get other suggestions but these settings have helped other people and they also help me to type more accurately. .

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-04-10 05:25 AM
    I know all too well what you are on about. Some users may chime in and say theirs work flawlessly, but honestly their just lieing!

There was a thread on this recently, where someone suggested the settings 500, 1000, 6 in screen settings. It seemed to make a positive difference for me, try it.

Jiggyb beat me to it.
    05-04-10 05:30 AM
    Ok, I tried that, the sms, e-mail, docs2go selecting is easier and a bit more accurate. Selecting in browser is still a piece of s***. The "jumpy" thing is still there and it is impossible to chose a sentence without the "like flick" screen move. Still after I select the text the screen moves. Any ideas on how to fix that screen move that it will stay put while selecting?

Thanks for help so far. I hope that next OS will solve this problem, because atm the select, copy/cut, paste function is clearly unusable most of the time.
    05-04-10 05:55 AM
    I'll agree that selecting to copy is a bit tricky. I've only had my S2 for a couple weeks now, and I'm hoping I'll get better in that department with more practice.
    05-04-10 07:56 AM
    I know all too well what you are on about. Some users may chime in and say theirs work flawlessly, but honestly their just lieing!

There was a thread on this recently, where someone suggested the settings 500, 1000, 6 in screen settings. It seemed to make a positive difference for me, try it.

Jiggyb beat me to it.
    Well, gee, I'm glad you know that I am lieing. Unfortunately, you have never even seen my S2 or how I use it. I can't say that I have ever had the problem or at least that I am aware of it. The Cut and Paste work as advertised on my S2.
    05-04-10 09:31 AM
    it takes practice but you can get the hang of it
    05-04-10 10:02 AM
    I'm running .607 with Lyricidal's .643 hybrid. The copy and paste is the most sensitive I've ever had. It was really buggy with my Storm1, but with this OS I'm having great success.

(and in response to The Gift - I am not 'lieing' i.e. lying!)
    05-04-10 10:18 AM
    Well I have it since Christmas but still I can't get used to that selection thing, its too buggy and laggy

So any ideas on how to get rid of the "jumpy" screen when I lift my finger?(that's the main thing that bothers me)
    05-04-10 10:35 AM

Jiggyb beat me to it.
    their <- improper use, see below. It should be "they're"

Just because some people say that it works flawlessly doesn't mean that they are lying. How many people here complained about .607 whereas I have had no issues with it. Maybe they have one of the newer S2's with the screen replacement? Maybe they have smaller fingers and its easier for them... or maybe they already had their* settings adjusted for sensitivity. Don't just jump on people and say they are lying. Thats not cool, and its rude.

Dont take offense to this Gift, Im just pointing out that each user has their own experience with the S2, so don't jump to conclusions.

*Their is used when referring to a possession. "Their blackberry works fine"
    *They're is used as a replacement for they are. "They're not having any problems."
    (Sorry, im a bit bored here eating my lunch and the "their/they're" mistakes has always been a pet peeve of mine.. lol)

Well I have it since Christmas but still I can't get used to that selection thing, its too buggy and laggy

So any ideas on how to get rid of the "jumpy" screen when I lift my finger?(that's the main thing that bothers me)
    I HATE THAT TOO!

-Static
    05-04-10 10:52 AM
    I have the same problem as the OP. I tried changing my screen settings as per suggestions, not much difference. The selection markers jump or don't respond quickly when in the browser. My workaround:

Select more text than needed in the browser, paste into memopad. Select exactly what text you need in MemoPad. The text selection in MemoPad is far easier and allows for more precision.

For me the problem was copying a long URL in an email message. No matter what, I could not get exactly what I needed, so I selected text from the paragraph before, the URL, and text in the paragraph after, pasted into MemoPad, and was able to select exactly the URL as needed. (Interestingly, MemoPad recognized the URL and offered to open the link, whereas the link was not "hot" in my hotmail email)
    07-22-10 12:33 AM
    Try the "Titus Method"

1. Open up a message/text/email/webpage
    2. Using ONLY left thumb gently point on the beginning of text to copy (Roughly pin point will do)
    3. Once you got your left thumb down on spot (still pressing down), now gently use your right thumb point of the end of text to copy.
    4. You will now see 2 text selector/marker appear.
    5. Lift up both your thumbs to see if the text selector/marker are in place.
    6. Using your INDEX finger ONLY, gently press on one of the text selector/marker and move till your desired text selected.
    7. Be firm on the indicator, make sure your finger don't leave the screen during selection as it may cause the digitizer to feel you are scrolling the page.
    8. If your page jump up/down because you completed the selection and finger leaving the screen, its ok! scroll back using the index finger/thumb at the side/edge of the screen and check again if selection is correct.
    9. Move the indicator/selector 1 at a time.
    10. Once both selector in place, COPY OR CUT!!!!

Please try the above and feedback if you feel better.

Remember, its an almost perfect storm2!!!
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-22-10 at 04:48 AM.
    07-22-10 04:26 AM
    I also have problems. I eventually stumbled upon an approach that helped. Rather than trying to place my thumbs precisely and the start and end of the text I just place them on each edge of the screen at the height of the beginning and end. Usually it highlights what I'm targeting. Moving around to increase or decrease the selection is less than ideal but I get a lot less jumpiness this way. I usually copy from websites into Twitter posts. I then edit within the Ubertwitter tweet field.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-10 05:51 AM
    EXACTLY! At first it seemed a bit too sensitive and wanted to jump around, but with the settings above, and maybe OS upgrades, and alittle practice, mine works pretty good now.
    07-22-10 06:20 AM
    Trying to do anything in SMS is a Pain.. i have a new storm.. old one had yoo much metal in the speaker!.. LOL.. ( true).. and this is just as bad... ( not to mention os .607..OMG!@!!

Maybe if they would give us the option to have less then 2% of the screen or 3 lines ( which ever is greater) we might have room to do something.. cut, edit, copy, or even fixing a spelling mistake takes longer then anyone should have to endure. then you just about have the damn markers where you want them and the screen scrolls up ( past the allowed 3 lines and your right back at ground Zero. people must think I'm illiterate since spelling errors and sure type's erroneous assumptions make sms ( all 160 characters WOW).. a true pain.

My 2 cents.. ( but a lot of nice stuff too on the phone. i think the developers don't do much texting... that's all!!...

OH yes.. a kill switch to save the back plate and battery pulls!!!
    07-22-10 08:50 PM
    Try the "Titus Method"

1. Open up a message/text/email/webpage
    2. Using ONLY left thumb gently point on the beginning of text to copy (Roughly pin point will do)
    3. Once you got your left thumb down on spot (still pressing down), now gently use your right thumb point of the end of text to copy.
    4. You will now see 2 text selector/marker appear.
    5. Lift up both your thumbs to see if the text selector/marker are in place.
    6. Using your INDEX finger ONLY, gently press on one of the text selector/marker and move till your desired text selected.
    7. Be firm on the indicator, make sure your finger don't leave the screen during selection as it may cause the digitizer to feel you are scrolling the page.
    8. If your page jump up/down because you completed the selection and finger leaving the screen, its ok! scroll back using the index finger/thumb at the side/edge of the screen and check again if selection is correct.
    9. Move the indicator/selector 1 at a time.
    10. Once both selector in place, COPY OR CUT!!!!

Please try the above and feedback if you feel better.

Remember, its an almost perfect storm2!!!
    That helped. Tks Titus.

Good Luck
    07-22-10 09:48 PM
    Using the index fingers seems to help a little. I just wish that the screen was less responsive to scrolling while copying.
    07-22-10 11:10 PM
    Yeah I have that problem too, its a storm thing...get used to it
    07-22-10 11:14 PM
    Thanks for the tips.

07-22-10 11:42 PM
    For what its worth I reduced the sensitivity setting to low vs high 6. For me I have far less cursor jump when selecting text. Might see if that helps.

07-23-10 06:29 AM
    It's frequently a nuisance, but I can cut & paste most things OK now after practice and tweaking screen settings.

Unless it's entering text in an embedded text box in a website. One of my frequently used message boards has such an animal for entering text. I can only really edit what's visible in the box at any one point. If my fingers slide outside that box, the whole thing gets unpredictable - anything from randomly pushing "submit" buttons to scrolling the page around. If I've typed more than will fit in the box, or if the box is taken up by quoted text, then functionality is minimal. It makes me mad enough to forget my own name.

I'm pretty patient and have overall liked the S2. Some things are in danger of becoming deal-breakers for me and may force me to go shopping on eBay or craigslist for something else:
    Frequent resets when using camera to the point that it's almost unusable.
    BBM keyboard doesn't work well in individual chats, let alone group.
    The aforementioned user-unfriendly text editing.
    07-27-10 08:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD