Do you think future updates of the OS will facilitate inertia whilst scrolling so that its quicker to move through long pages of text or lists of messages?

Or is this just wishful thinking?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by JerryTheBerry; 01-05-09 at 12:23 PM.
    01-05-09 12:20 PM
    This has been asked a million times. No one knows anything. There are many other areas of the OS that need work before this.
    01-05-09 12:24 PM
    That's a dumb comment, just because there are other areas that need tweaking as well it does not mean this major issue should be ignored.

Have you ever tried scrolling down a massive 200 page article on your Berry? It sucks you have to use "Find" to move to various points, it would be way more convenient to just be able to flick really fast.

And I can't see this being that hard as most touch screen phones utilize the technology today. To emulate it for the Pearl, would not be that difficult.
    01-05-09 12:27 PM
    the 'sling shot' effect seems to function using Aps: AP News and WSJ.

I agree, twould be nice to have it cross over to all text in general on the mobile.
    01-05-09 12:30 PM
    That's a dumb comment, just because there are other areas that need tweaking as well it does not mean this major issue should be ignored.

Have you ever tried scrolling down a massive 200 page article on your Berry? It sucks you have to use "Find" to move to various points, it would be way more convenient to just be able to flick really fast.

And I can't see this being that hard as most touch screen phones utilize the technology today. To emulate it for the Pearl, would not be that difficult.
    I'm an embedded software engineer for a living. The lack of "flick" scrolling is not a major issue. Random reboots, crashing, a ridiculously slow camera, OS lag, etc. are major isssues. You won't see RIM adding features until the bugs are ironed out, in my opinion.
    01-05-09 12:33 PM
    I don't expect any new features or major changes will ever happen on 4.7. Instead expect RIM to release updates to fix the stability, once that is done I wouldn't expect any major software updates until they release a new device (storm 2?). Then you should get a real update with new features not just bug fixes. So don't expect anything till like summer or later......
    01-05-09 12:39 PM
    Fair points. I suppose until the current platform is stable we aren't going to see any enhancements like I mentioned in the opening post.

Shame though.

01-05-09 12:45 PM
    I have to agree. I think "feature enhancements" will be in a "point release" 4.8.x for example, or even a "Major Release" a 5.x perhaps.

They have to get the "basics" working perfectly before they move on to enhancements - much as it pains us...
    01-05-09 12:49 PM
    First off, how many times does this have to be asked before people accept that no one knows anything except maybe RIM developers who are probably bound by an NDA and can't talk about it.

It'll be included when/if it's included.

It's NOT a major issue, it's a creature comfort feature. It makes scrolling easier; it isn't like scrolling now is impossible. Just because YOU think it's a major issue doesn't automatically make it so.
    01-05-09 03:04 PM
    First off, how many times does this have to be asked before people accept that no one knows anything except maybe RIM developers who are probably bound by an NDA and can't talk about it.

It'll be included when/if it's included.

It's NOT a major issue, it's a creature comfort feature. It makes scrolling easier; it isn't like scrolling now is impossible. Just because YOU think it's a major issue doesn't automatically make it so.
    I wasn't really asking if people "knew" if this feature was on it's way, I was more wondering if people considered this to be a possible future inclusion.

I realise this was asked a lot when the storm first launched, however since there has now been a few iterations of the OS I was interested in people's thoughts.

If you're not interested then there is no need to contribute to the thread.

Cheers.
    Last edited by JerryTheBerry; 01-05-09 at 03:11 PM.
    01-05-09 03:08 PM
    It does seem annoying that to find a contact you either have to keep flipping through or select the find field then type. Yes this does seem like a big issue to me when you have 300+ contacts.
    01-05-09 03:16 PM
    I wasn't really asking if people "knew" if this feature was on it's way, I was more wondering if people considered this to be a possible future inclusion.
    The answer is still pretty much the same. The only people who might know for sure are almost certainly bound by an NDA. All the rest of us can do is guess.

I realise this was asked a lot when the storm first launched, however since there has now been a few iterations of the OS I was interested in people's thoughts.
    So far each iteration has done two things, and two things only: Fix bugs and improve performance. Not a single new feature has been added since .65 that came with the Storm at launch. This would be considered a new feature, so it will likely not arrive until a 4.8.0.0 or at least a 4.7.1.0 release. However, right now RIM seems to be focusing on working out the remaining kinks and honing performance.

If you're not interested then there is no need to contribute to the thread.
    You're asking a question you admit has been asked numerous times before, and it's one of those questions no one has an answer to. The first anyone knows of this feature will likely be when/if it shows up in some future release. There's no point getting pissy just because someone points out the futility of your asking.

I have absolutely nothing to base it on, but I would suspect it's on the wishlist of features to add once they get most of the bugs worked out of 4.7 and get the performance to a level where they're happy with it. How long any of that will take is still completely unknown. Could be as soon as later today, could be a week from now, it could be several months or even over a year. Nobody knows. Introducing this feature would risk also introducing new bugs, so I wouldn't expect to see it any time soon. Maybe in the early spring to early summer, but again, I have absolutely nothing to base that on. Those are just some estimates I pulled out of my arse which will probably prove to be woefully inaccurate. I have absolutely no insider information on this. I don't work for RIM or any of the carriers, nor do I know anyone who does. So don't anyone go running around quoting me as having said that this is when they will be out or anything like that, unless you want to look like an ***** in the end.

Anyway, I forgot to mention in my previous post that at least you called it inertial scrolling. I have no idea where this kinetic scrolling garbage got started, but it's woefully inaccurate for describing the feature. So, thank you for that small favor, even if it wasn't for me specifically.
    01-05-09 04:25 PM
    The funny thing is that the feature can be found elsewhere on the phone...like in the time setting for the alarm clock. I wonder if it was taken out due to performance issues in other areas?
    01-05-09 04:56 PM
    The funny thing is that the feature can be found elsewhere on the phone...like in the time setting for the alarm clock. I wonder if it was taken out due to performance issues in other areas?
    It is indeed funny, because my phone doesn't have any such thing where you describe. As soon as my finger leaves the screen, it stops changing whatever value I was altering.
    01-05-09 05:43 PM
    It is indeed funny, because my phone doesn't have any such thing where you describe. As soon as my finger leaves the screen, it stops changing whatever value I was altering.
    It works while reading a word to go document, AP News App., WSJ App as well....
    01-06-09 11:44 AM
    I can understand how he feels though. I have a lot of texts in my inbox and scrolling through them is the biggest pain. On top of that you have to scroll back to the top when your done which takes a another good 10 min of finger flicking. I am keeping my fingers crossed to see this in one of the new upgrades but I won't hold my breathe on it coming anytime soon.
    Still love my phone though
    01-06-09 12:02 PM
    you have to scroll back to the top when your done which takes a another good 10 min of finger flicking.
    Hold down the 'up arrow' (Scroll Up button) and it will 'shoot' you to the top
    01-06-09 12:04 PM
    It works while reading a word to go document, AP News App., WSJ App as well....
    It can be implemented on an app by app basis, but none of the apps written by RIM support this.

I don't know how strictly RIM follows the OOP design philosophy with the BB OS, but if they followed it rather strictly, this feature could probably be added with minimal fuss. However, even minor feature additions can open up doors to untold bugs, and I think most of us agree that we'd rather have RIM working out existing kinks in the software and squeezing every last bit of performance possible out of the code before they start looking to add new features, and new bugs.

If you remember your economics 101, what we have here is an opportunity cost. RIM can either add new features, or they can stomp bugs and improve performance. Every new feature added is at the cost of bugs going unsquashed and performance being sub-optimal.

So which would you rather have? Some new feature that means it will take longer for existing bugs to be fixed, and performance may degrade a little; or would you rather wait a little longer while existing bugs are exterminated and they get the OS running like a finely tuned performance engine?
    01-06-09 12:10 PM
    I agree with the initial poster, I read recently people complain that their phone
    doesn't work like the commercial, the browser anyway (did you notice how
    short the html page was in the commercial? look for the scroll tab on the side)
    Anyway AP news etc run extremely quick, if the bb broswer could run that way I'd be much much happier, and since it's a released feature obviously in the API it's odd RIM didn't implement it as such.
    01-06-09 12:11 PM
    The kinetic/inertia scrolling in Documents To Go isn't that great - I could barely tell it was sensing the speed of my swipes. I'll try the WSJ app out now...
    01-06-09 12:17 PM
    It can be implemented on an app by app basis, but none of the apps written by RIM support this.

I don't know how strictly RIM follows the OOP design philosophy with the BB OS, but if they followed it rather strictly, this feature could probably be added with minimal fuss. However, even minor feature additions can open up doors to untold bugs, and I think most of us agree that we'd rather have RIM working out existing kinks in the software and squeezing every last bit of performance possible out of the code before they start looking to add new features, and new bugs.

If you remember your economics 101, what we have here is an opportunity cost. RIM can either add new features, or they can stomp bugs and improve performance. Every new feature added is at the cost of bugs going unsquashed and performance being sub-optimal.

So which would you rather have? Some new feature that means it will take longer for existing bugs to be fixed, and performance may degrade a little; or would you rather wait a little longer while existing bugs are exterminated and they get the OS running like a finely tuned performance engine?
    I completely agree.

Being a huge fan of the phone so far and having enjoyed it much more than a few of the quarks I've had with it, I would much rather see stability than creature comforts.

RIM will get there in time.

People need to remember what the original iPhone looked like and even a month after released the iPhone 3g had some major flaws (outlook pc syncing being one of them).

I think the Storm, that most of us dream of, will be realized once the next version is released.
    01-06-09 12:19 PM
    I had the voyager befor this phone for a year I had see 4 updates to the phone.. One of these updates were scrolling... I'm pretty sure this will be added. If not, is it possibly for an app to be developed to make scrolling an option?

01-06-09 12:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD