Just had a quick question, hopefully some of you can help me out.

Today while I was riding in my friends car, I noticed the screen on my storm was flickering. I did some searching and saw that some people were having this issue as well, but only under direct sunlight.

I did a test to see if I could make the screen to flicker by using my storm directly under my desk lamp. Its not touching the bulb or anything, its about 1ft away from the lamp shade. Anyways, the screen flickers like crazy under the desk lamp. It doesnt seem to do it any other time, but still, its pretty annoying.

Other than this issue, my storm has been very solid. I got it on the 16th of last month, so I still have time to return/exchange it.
    Is anyone else having this problem?
    I am assuming its hardware related, but I'm not positive.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to exchange it for a new one at Verizon, but I wanted to hear some of your input first.

Edit: I have done multiple battery pulls, it doesnt help.
    Last edited by Oreo931; 01-12-09 at 12:55 PM.
    01-12-09 12:53 PM
    My screen flickers once in a while but I haven't noticed under what circumstances....

Posted from my Crack
    Berry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 02:09 PM
    Just tested mine under a lamp...it does not flicker at all.

Grey
    01-12-09 02:41 PM
    It doesn't sound good. Mine has never flickered.
    01-12-09 09:15 PM
    Mine has never flickered.
    01-13-09 12:54 AM
    Swap it....
    01-13-09 01:17 AM
    I guess I will go in tomorrow and try to swap it out. My back light looks like its having seizures when its under the desk lamp lol.
    01-13-09 02:03 AM
    Just to update this thread, I got a new Storm from Verizon today.
    01-13-09 01:05 PM
    only time my phone flickered was when i turned it on on an airplane...guess that was a sign that i shouldnt have had it on in the first place haha
    01-13-09 05:24 PM
    I am noticing flickering for the first time today.. December 13th buy. Anyone else? It's intermittent. Only recent change was installing Slacker.
    02-04-09 01:46 PM
    Mine started to flicker while I was playing golf. So I think the light sensor or something is affected by direct sunlight. Living in Arizona, sunlight is what we have a crap load of..
    02-04-09 01:51 PM
    Mine started to flicker while I was playing golf. So I think the light sensor or something is affected by direct sunlight. Living in Arizona, sunlight is what we have a crap load of..
    Yeah...i was thinking the same thing. Mine flickers when im in my car and when i move it up a little it stops, so i really think it's the light sensor trying to distinguish the amount of light in the car i don't think it's a big deal anyway...
    02-04-09 03:18 PM
    I just noticed this on mine as well today and it only happens when EXTREME direct sunlight hits the light sensor. I hadn't seen this before and thought it could just be an issue with .99 since it never happened before with previous versions. I'll keep an eye out and see how it goes.
    02-04-09 04:18 PM
    Mine did this on the way home from class, I talked with verizon, and they said it had to do with direct sunlight or the OS. They had me wipe the device completely, then put the backup back on. I never had the issue again.
    02-04-09 04:36 PM
    I haven’t had this happen to me, but I will keep an eye on it to see if it happens to me. I don't see much day due to long work hours. I have the next couple days off though and I will try to make mine flicker.
    02-04-09 06:24 PM
    my first one, made in canada, did not flicker. my second one made in mexico flickered ONLY on .90
    not on .75 or .99
    02-04-09 06:32 PM
    my screen flickers like a light bulb thats about to go out! and it does it day or night, in or out of the sun. if i do a battery pull it goes away or if i let the backlight go off and let it sit for awhile it seems to quit. it hasnt really bothered me enough to take it in to verizon (just a little annoying) cuz it generally only does it once a day.
    02-04-09 06:39 PM
    I have the same problem. The flickering is the refresh rate of the screen, and yes you should get your phone replaced because it means there is a manufacturer's defect, either that or you beat the snot out of the screen. (which is pretty unlikely.)

My screen flickering was barely noticeable at first, but if you indeed are having the same problem I am it is going to get worse. Actually, if you want to see it get worse just to have more information on the problem use your browser. Mine really freaked out when it had to generate a lot of white space.

I called Verizon and they had me run through their typical "try to see if this will fix it" type stuff. I would recommend doing a hard reset back to the factory defaults. They will also probably recommend that you remove any third party software, but unless it is software that interacts with the display it is kind of a stupid request. ANyway, setting it back to defaults will take care of any third party software on it anyway. I tried all of it and called them back yesterday and told them it didn't work and they sent me a new phone out that day. Actually, I was pretty surprised, i figured i would have to fight with them or something like that to get a new phone.
    02-04-09 09:45 PM
    The storm has a light sensor built into it right where the LED indicator light is. I would bet that your sensor is messed up causing the flickering. I say this because it seems as you stated that in sunlight and under a lamp it does this.

If that is not that case you probably have some bad wire or connector under the screen.
    02-04-09 09:57 PM
    I experienced this issue as well, but now with the later operating systems that have been leaked I haven't noticed it. I just tested it and held my Storm directly under the light in my room and it didn't flicker at all. This may determine that the flickering problem may indeed be a problem with the software rather then the hardware, but I could be wrong since I haven't seen it under heavy sun light yet.
    02-04-09 10:36 PM
    If by flicker you mean the backlight constantly is flickering between different light levels...I had this problem.

Swapped it out, no problem with new one.
    02-04-09 10:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD